1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2008 NFL Draft : The Chargers select...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by MasterOfPuppets, Dec 6, 2007.

1. RMANCIL

RMANCIL New Member

Ratings:
    +223
    At this point I don't see a safety worthy of the selection that will be on the board. The Chargers biggest need is DL and in particular NG however there is a lot of questions on Okams motor.

The Bolts have a lot of ILB who project to SILB but are not deep nor impressive at WILB. The Chargers will take B.A. and it could be a RB.

Smith passed on trading Turner last year when he could have landed a 1st round pick for the RB who served as just a one year insurance policy . At this point the draft looks like it will offer a strong selection at LB, RB OL at the 20- 32 level.

Sedric Ellis DT will be long gone before we pick , Dan Connor LB Penn , Tyson Jackson DE LSU , Gosder Cherilus OT BC , Duke Robinson OG Oklahoma , Jonathan Stewart RB Oregon , Phillip Wheeler LB 6-1, 230 Georgia Tech , Xavier Adibi LB Virginia Tech , Steve Slaton RB West Virginia along with Frank Okam DT 6-5, 320 Texas . Form a good group of candidates.

I think the Bolts will look at OKam long and hard he has great strength and explodes off the ball but I have seen games of his that he disappeared .

I don't like the RB draft in the 1st round but I think that Smith will look at it long and hard. Clearly he values RB big time , me I would have traded Turner and taken a RB in the lower rounds last season.

No way do we take another wr.

The Bolts could create a monster OL if they take one of the big dudes up front and at this slot in the draft history tells us that OL especially OG work very well .

Barry Richardson 6-6, 345 Clemson

Gosder Cherilus 6-6, 320 BC

Duke Robinson 6-4, 330 Oklahoma

Eric Young 6-4, 305 Tennessee

Are a few of the big boys who look good to me. The Chargers have issues on the right side and have old age at the reserve lot position.

Other wise who knows?

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Update on the big name junior fat boys.

Courtesy of Yahoo Sports and www.nfldraftbible.blogspot.com.
    OFFENSIVE LINE (Grade A-)

• Ohio State junior tackle Alex Boone might be at the top of this year's draft class thanks to his size (6-8, 325 pounds), footwork and work ethic. He does as much film study as he does weight room or classroom work. He has played on both sides of the line, but has settled into the left tackle position the past two years. Some scouts believe he needs to work on finishing and bringing more of a nasty streak.

• Boise State junior tackle Ryan Clady is one of the nation's top blockers and should warrant a first-round grade should he leave early. He promised his mother that he would complete his degree before moving to the NFL. His promise might be hard to keep as the 6-6, 319-pounder could be among the top-20 picks.

• Mississippi junior offensive tackle Michael Oher has all the tools, but could use next season to add some strength to his game and become more of a finisher. Now that Houston Nutt is the coach, Oher plans to wait for the 2009 draft.

• Oklahoma junior tackle Phil Loadholt has gone from junior college transfer to potential high NFL draft choice. He is massively built with the footwork and athleticism to play the all-important left tackle position at the next level. He has drawn too many penalties this season and would improve his grade by remaining in school.

• Stanford junior offensive lineman Alex Fletcher has the ability to play both center and guard at the NFL level. He gets the job done with fine technique, leverage and footwork. He has been timed in the 5.1 range at 6-3, 310 pounds. Fletcher would like to find out how much room he has to improve his grade over the next year. He will have completed his degree by the end of this semester.

• Oklahoma junior guard Duke Robinson was one of the most dominating interior linemen in the country. He has great size (6-5, 335 pounds), delivers a powerful punch off the snap, but also has the type of mean streak that the NFL craves. Robinson should receive a fairly high grade, but I expect him to return to the Sooners.

• Alabama junior center Antoine Caldwell is capable of playing both guard and the pivot spot. He moves well for his size, gets out of his stance quickly and shows very good power in his initial punch. Might lack the pure bulk to handle some of the larger nose tackles in the NFL, but his movement skills and intangibles make him an attractive package.

• Washington senior center Juan Garcia has received an extra year of eligibility thanks to past medical issues that cost him to miss time between 2003 and 2005. He has started the past two years, but announced at the team's recent banquet that he intended to make use of his extra season of eligibility and return to the Huskies.

John Murphy is Yahoo! Sports' NFL personnel and college prospect evaluator. Murphy's seventh annual NFL Draft Bible package for the upcoming 2008 NFL Draft coverage is now available. Learn more at www.nfldraftbible.blogspot.com.

3. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Very few OL come out early. I don't expect that trend to change.

4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

Watch out for those Oklahoma guards. I would LOVE to see on of them in a Chargers uniform.

5. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The whole Okie U line are monsters. I think they're all underclassmen. That line will dominate the Big-12 next season.

6. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +353

I will take Brandon Flowers DB Virginia Tech, all day and twice on Sunday! Flowers is a faster, smarter, Rodney Harrison! A complete ball hawk who knows how to lay the wood to the WR! I would like to see SD take Flowers instead of Okam! Starters come first if the player is right not depth! We would be drafting depth with Okam and a immediate starter with Flowers! If he comes out which is expected, watch the measurables on this guy at the combine, he is going to impress!

7. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I'll have to give him a look in the bowls. Right now I'm leaning toward safety in round one, but really, best available guy from a few positions - safety, DL, OL, OLB.

I agree with you that 1st rounders need to be at a position that is going to be a starter (within a year or so), and that's why safety is my #1 concern. However, SD doesn't have a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick. We may get a compensatory pick for Edwards (4th or 5th round) and AJ still has the option to tag and trade M. Turner to get a 2nd or 3rd. We could use both those extra picks.

AJ might also do something in FA this year.

8. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Why wait Shammy here this is for you! My thought process is to either move Jammer to Safety or move this guy to safety!

He is a CB that has played Safety!

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Jammer isn't going to move to safety, at least not for a couple more years.

I do think Paul Oliver might be a candidate for safety. Possibly even Cletis Gordon, but I like Gordon as our nickel next season.

DB help will be high on the agenda next season. We've got three solid starters (Cro, Jammer, Weddle), and we need to find the fourth.

10. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    Did you watch the Video? Flowers is a stud!

11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    No. I will later. I'm on my old, slow laptop .... my desktop is in the shop.

12. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353
    ahh okay

13. JBerrier

JBerrier BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I like the idea of trading the 1st round pick to gain a 2nd & 3rd round pick. You can probably find some good role players in round 2 & 3. I think Philip Wheeler, ILB from Georgia Tech could come in and help with blitz packages and pass defense. You could probably get him in round 2. I think you look at Antonie Cason, CB - Arizona or Dejaun Tribble, CB - Boston College in the 3rd round. I also think you take a shot at Owen Schmitt, FB - West Virginia on Day 2 at some point.

14. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +353

:tup: Well done, Wheeler is a great blitzer and would be a great asset at ILB in a 3-4 blitz scheme! I am very high on Cason but because I am that high I pretty sure he will be gone in the mid to late 1st round...I would say that we would look at Owen Schmitt but with LoNeal hurt, as long as Turner is still there he has stated that he will use a 1 back set so probably not likely that we take a shot on Schmitt! Well done though good post! :tup: