1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2008 NFL Free Agency Thread...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by -Scar-, Feb 28, 2008.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    I like AJ's approach to FA, let the hungry pick the orchard in haste and wait. Then go and fine that perfect pick that was left behind in haste. Soon it will be that opponents are following the Chargers method of building a team, which we all know the blueprints to that plan are highly guarded.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Money being thrown around like confetti, a lot of it for average players. AJ never plays much in FA - while it may not be exciting, it's a proven methodology.

I'd much rather see our money spent on keeping our core players locked in place. :yes:

AJ will still work a little magic in the draft.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    He also has that ability to find that guy on the cheap that can come in and help.

We don't have any big glaring holes to fill and it seems to me that this team just keeps getting stronger.

I do agree, keep the money for our own guys that have sweated and bled already for this team. We just witnessed what happens to guys like Olivea, they get gone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    SAN FRAN SNAGS SMITH

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Buff:
    Edwards is the future in and he is signed through 2010. Volek's chances of being the starter are very slim and would have just been a mentor/place holder for a few games if any. They have Loshman as the backup now. So all he would have been doing if anything is replacing Loshman.

Minn:
    They need to see what they have in Jackson, so see above in Buff.

Chi:
    They just picked up the last year of Grossman's contract. They didn't do that to sit him on the bench. I think they are going to give him 1 more shot to prove himself.
    Back status for Volek to replace Griese who will likely be released.

Backup in a cold weather city. No shot at a ring. 1000s of miles from home all season.
    OR
    Stay in SD where the weather is nice. He is close to his home. Chance at a SB ring. He has a chance to show more of his stuff if Rivers is not ready for the start of the season. Next year he he can see what other opportunities are there as a starter and ask for his release if he wants to move on.

So giving the choices of a Backup/Place Holder in those places OR backup in SD. It's a no-brainer.

6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    FLORENCE PICKS THE JAGS

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7859114/Free-agent-buzz:-Florence,-Colclough-get-deals

7. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Word Is The Falcons Are Closing in On Michael Turner...

8. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
  9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    • Like Like x 1
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
  11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Exactly.

3rd round comp pick in '09.

Jacksonville had a lot of money under the cap, and they've wasted a lot of it.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    and another for Turner if he signs big.

Can you get 2 comp picks in the same round?? :icon_huh:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    :yes::yes::yes::flag:
    Denver got two third rounders I think back in 2005

14. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Browns Sign Stallworth

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,641
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-to-signing-Wilson?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

I'm not posting this because Kwamie Harris and Gibril Wilson are Raiders but the article also adds that Michael Huff is on the trading block

I know he's had two bad years with the Raiders but he was a STUD in college and hell the Raiders could mismanage anyone young, would there be any interest depending on the price?

Oh and Stallworth to the Browns, I think the Browns, over the last two days, have solidified themselves at the top of the AFC North.

16. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I don't think they've wasted it. Going into the offseason, they had only a couple holes to fill to be a top-tier team. WR, a Pass-rusher, another CB, and maybe a LB, but I don't know how happy they are with theirs. They filled two spots with relatively young, talented players with Jerry Porter and D-Flo. No matter what the money is, they only had those few spots to fill, and they filled them with top players. D-Flo doesn't have to be the #1, which is good for them, because of Rashean Mathis. And they're a run-first, run-second team, but Porter gives them a boost like Chambers did for us. He may not be a superstar WR, but he's a lot better than what they got, and may help everyone around him get better.

The other two weaknesses, or one if they get a pass-rushing LB, can be taken care of on draftday. Cleo Lemon, which I think is a great fit in Jax, probably was the worst pickup. And he solidifies that spot.

edit: I forgot they traded Marcus Stroud. THAT hurts them a lot I think. Their defense was built on him and Big John Henderson stopping they run. Their DEs stop the run too, but don't rush the passer much. Now their D-line is a ? to me.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Huff to be traded. Amazing. Like u said how can be a 'STUD' in a good program at college and perform so very poorly as a Pro?. If he has anything to offer u can be sure AJ knows about it.

As for the Jags improving. I like the Porter signing. After that Cleo and Flo?... I don't think so. Has Cam reappeared in Jax?... What about Lekkerkerker and Camarillo?.

I'll b happy to see Buster make Flo look v ordinary in 08. So the dumb GM who has overpaid has been revealed. Step forward James Harris.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Flo will probably start at corner alongside Rashead Mathis and move Brian Williams back to nickel where he's best. Gives them one good corner and one decent one with a very good nickel corner. Porter was a good pick up for a receiving starved team. I think Lemon is best as a backup which is what he'll be to David Garrard. They definitely are improving and frankly I think they're the team to beat in the AFC South assuming of course htey can ever beat indy even ONCE.

As for huff, I loved the guy in Texas and he was thought of as the best safety that school had produced in a long while. So the fact that he's turned into...well....a raider...should be blamed on the fact that he is a...well....raider. I don't think Uncle Al would be willing to trade Huff (or anyone for that matter) to the Chargers but idk, maybe we should give them a pittance for him and see what happens. They obviously don't think much of Huff since they grabbed Wilson in and they moved Huff around all over hte place. But it doesn't change the fact that under that battered Raider shell is a damn good player yearning to play for a winning team.

Anyone think we can trade them someone like.....ohhh.............crap, I can't think of anyone lousy enough to give them. Any suggestions? Maybe a conditional 7th rounder? :lol:

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We have no need to expend any resources at safety. I might give one of next year's draft choices or a couple of second day picks for a good corner, but safety goes begging.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I believe you can get a max of 4 comp picks per draft total, and they can be 3rd, 4th, or 5th rounds or any combination of those rounds.

21. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    What? For some reason I was distracted.

22. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Bears suprisingly keep Lance Briggs, but lose Bernard Berrian to Vikings.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/bears/821409,briggs030208.article

Briggs finally finds out he's OVER-RATED. I really thought someone would be dumb enough to pay 4 him.

23. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I feel so disconnected from the enthusiasm that many feel about the Free Agency Period. All these signings and players changing teams. Don't get me wrong, I'll know by draft day exactly who is where, but only because NFL Network is on in the background most of the time. But still... it just doesn't really matter to me much...

Thank you, AJ!!! For giving me no reason for concern during this fukkin' ridiculous point in the (off)season.

:icon_bow:...........[​IMG]

:icon_rofl:check out Marty in the background clockin' AJ's call...:icon_rofl:

24. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    No **** and amen, although I don't find it as active and exciting due to the fact we don't really "need" any free agent on the market, every year with a.j. on board I find myself less anxious for the fa period to begin, for good reason. It's a rarity to have a title due to this part of the season, and realistically although boring for us, we should all be thankful the proper work has been put into place months and years in advance so that we don't have to play the tweeker bargain hunters. No fa acquasations is fine by me.

25. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Yeah I Agree....This Team Has Alot Of Potential Going Into Next Season ALREADY....My Pops Is A Browns Fan So I'm Kind Of Excited For Him....

I Watched About 10 Of Their Games This Past Season And Was Highly Entertained By The level Of Play....I Think They're One Of Those Teams Nobody Really Wants To See Late In The Season....AFC North Will Be Interesting.....

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    :no:

Green Bay Packers.:yes:

27. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    I'll Cosign That If They Get Randy Moss...

28. -Scar-

-Scar- thedoomship.com

Ratings:
    +205
    Saints agree with Gay

http://blog.nola.com/saintsbeat/2008/03/saints_agree_with_gay.html

Questionable Move...:icon_shrug:

29. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,641
    Hopefully he plays better then Jason David (which was a dumbass move anyway considering they all run different systems). Gay at least has more man-to-man experience then David ever did