1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2009 Super Bowl odds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, May 23, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    New England Patriots (5/2) - This year the Patriots couldn't overcome their own Bad Karma and general scumbagery to bring home the title. What makes you think that they can do it next year? The Pats have to be the favorites, but with an aging defense, some key players ready to get paid in free agency, a front office infrastructure being cherry-picked by the rest of the league and, oh by the way, a SERIOUS Super Bowl hangover to compete with I think this one is a sucker bet.

Dallas Cowboys (6/1) - This team is intriguing, but as long as Wade Philips and Tony Romo are at the helm the only value these clowns have is to the service staff at some five-star Mexican resort.

Indianapolis Colts (6/1) - Of all of the next year's chalk I dig Indy the best. They are loaded with corn-fed, homegrown talent and that insulates them from the fickle free agent mousetrap. Don't underestimate the motivation that Peyton Manning has now to try to one-up his brother, as well as the possible "Win One To Send Tony Dungy Out On Top" subplot that could bet waiting in 2008-09.

Green Bay Packers (7/1) - The foundation is in place and they gained valuable postseason experience. But the Favre drama could be holding them back and their offensive philosophy - they're a chuck-and-duck club - makes them a dicey wager.

Jacksonville Jaguars (10/1) - People forget that they were without their two best defenders - Marcus Stroud and Mike Peterson - for the postseason. Mix in an explosive wideout and some more experience in the secondary and this team has the tools in place. But can they take the next step?

San Diego Chargers (10/1) - I was surprised that San Diego wasn't at 8-to-1. But just like Dallas, this is a team that, where we stand right now, has a definite ceiling because of their quarterback-coach combination. Lot of talk coming from this crew but not a whole lot of results. (wtf, well **** me running)

New York Giants (12/1) - How about this one: I would be willing to bet half of my salary that the Giants don't even make the playoffs next year, much less put themselves in a position to repeat. This franchise is notorious for post-Super Bowl Letdown seasons and are ripe for one now. I'll get into this more later.

Seattle Seahawks (18/1) - Stout defense. An incompetent division nearly guarantees a playoff spot and a home game. Holmgren and Hasselbeck see the window closing. But there is something missing: heart. They could be one yard away from going back to the SB and Shaun Alexander would flop to the ground so he didn't have to take a hit.

Pittsburgh Steelers (18/1) - I'm a sucker for Pennsylvania teams. If they get healthy, add some talent on the offensive line and in the secondary, and if Willie Parker bounces back from injury these guys should be in the mix in the AFC.

New Orleans Saints (20/1) - The Saints are much, much further away than this. Their defense is still about as solid as the old levy system.

Chicago Bears (25/1) - This is another awful wager. They don't have a quarterback or a running back. Their division was the most improved in football last season and they play in a market that is starved for a winner. Briggs is gone and there are way too many question marks to back these cubs.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (28/1) - I love how they've retooled their defense and they are in one of the worst divisions in football. However, worst-to-first and first-to-worst is the status quo in the NFC South. Also, their two best offensive players are one step closer to social security.

Tennessee Titans (30/1) - Vince Young could win a Super Bowl. But if he does it won't be until he is an older, wiser veteran. Last year was definitely a stepping-stone but there are still some holes as we sit here in February.

Washington Redskins (30/1) - The last two times the Giants won the Super Bowl the Redskins took the title the next year. The Skins underachieved in 2007 and still made the postseason. If the coaching changes turn out to be a step forward this could be a decent ticket to have.

Cleveland Browns (30/1) - You have to like where this club is headed. They played a semi-charmed season in 2007 and if they can upgrade the defense and find someone to spell Jamal Lewis they could be back in the playoff mix. Or they could fall on their faces, kind of like…

Cincinnati Bengals (38/1) - These odds should be doubled. At least. The Bungles are a karmic disaster and Marvin Lewis is wobbling on his last leg. Ocho wants out and half of the defense is still either making license plates or smoking the pot.

Denver Broncos (38/1) - Too young on offense and too confused on defense. Denver is laying the foundation for another long-term run of success such as they experienced over the past 10 or 15 years. But they're two years from being in this discussion.

Minnesota Vikings (38/1) - Now this is what I'm talking about. This wager screams value. The defense is in place. The offensive line is among the best in football. The running game is star-studded. The coach is on the rise. If they managed to score Donovan McNabb or another competent quarterback in free agency - and maybe a wideout in the draft or FA - then these odds will be cut in half.

Philadelphia Eagles (45/1) - If the Eagles lose McNabb they'll be open to what The Sports Guy refers to as The Ewing Theory. Sounds flimsy but I've seen it in action. Philly was another injured underachiever last year and could bounce back.

Arizona Cardinals (45/1) - This seems like a reach. And it is. Arizona has been Next Year's Sleeper for about four seasons now. Until I see some results I'm not wasting a dime on their long-term prospects.

Buffalo Bills (60/1) - This team has sleeper written all over it. But with no recent playoff pedigree they need to crawl before they walk.

Carolina Panthers (60/1) - Injuries ripped their season apart, but this team still seems like it's spinning its wheels. More Steve Smith, more defensive upgrades, and more cheerleader-on-cheerleader action is a must if they hope to improve next year.

Detroit Lions (60/1) - Dumping Mike Martz was a step in the right direction but as long as Matt Millen's name is in the program you should keep your paper bag masks within reach.

Houston Texans (60/1) - I love where this team is headed but you don't go directly from zero postseason appearances to Super Bowl title. And shockingly enough, Ron Dayne might not be the answer in the backfield.

New York Jets (75/1) - From Mangenius to Manqué in one season. This club is scrappy but back-to-back New York Super Bowl teams is a little far-fetched. And if it did happen then that means the Apocalypse is upon us.

St. Louis Rams (75/1) - Here's another team that was submarined by injuries, hot heads, and fluke occurrences. The talent is closer to 40-to-1 but the lack of experience and maturity makes this a fair number.

Kansas City Chiefs (100/1) - Year two of the Herm Edwards Era should be a bit more entertaining. (I know that seems tough after their riveting autumn on Hard Knocks, but it's true!) This team showed flashes but they still don't have a quarterback or an offensive line that would make them serious contenders.

After reading this NFL piece head over to our NFL Season Win Totals page. If you plan on betting NFL you'll also want to read our How to understand football odds page. Our NFL Strength of Schedule page is also a valuable tool for your NFL research. Since 1971 Doc's Sports has been recognized as a leader and trusted name in sports handicapping information.

Baltimore Ravens (125/1) - I always liked Brian Billick as a coach but there was no doubt that a change needed to be made. However, this club is entrenched in Rebuilding Mode and the 'over/under' on domestic violence charges against Ravens starts this offseason is 3.5.

Oakland Raiders (125/1) - One of the worst run franchises in football is still meandering aimlessly through the desert of their own delusion. These guys are about as stable as the San Andreas.

San Francisco 49ers (125/1) - Here's a club that may have taken one step backward in order to take two forward. They'll be much more competitive in 2008.

Atlanta Falcons (150/1) - Believe it or not, this club could threaten for a playoff spot. But they aren't ready for The Big Time just yet.

Miami Dolphins (150/1) - Too ridiculous to even contemplate.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Where are these odds? If I can get 10/1 for the Bolts to win, I want to put some money on it NOW!

3. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
  4. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I've got the Futures sheet from Arizona Charlies in front of me.

As of 4-27-08

Cheats: 2-1
    Colts: 5-1
    Cowgirls: 8-1
    Chargers, Jags & Packers: 10-1

Donkos: 35-1
    Chefs: 75-1
    Faiders: 100-1

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    10-1 my achin' ***.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Green bay is 7-1? :icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  7. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't get that one either.

I do find it funny that a lot of Turd fans are going to put down money on the Raiders at 100 to 1. The odds should be a million to one. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    :football:Right here:football:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just bet 60K Bolt Bucks!!!! :tup:

10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    The AFC and NFC Championships are up as well.

The Div Championships later this weekend.

11. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    I'm off to vegas June 18, i'll be sure to post what odds I get when I place my annual bet

12. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +905
    A lot of it is who people bet on. certain teams odds will always be lower than they should be just because people put money on them.

13. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Denver Broncos (38/1) - Too young on offense and too confused on defense. Denver is laying the foundation for another long-term run of success such as they experienced over the past 10 or 15 years. But they're two years from being in this discussion.

This gets my attention....another long term run of sucess??? Cutler is 9-12 as a starter, one more season to show his wares and succeed or the Donkie faithful will be ready start cutting bait, already some cracks in his support are appearing. 0-3 + miserable games vs the Chargers doesn't help his cause any!

Stan :rivers17:

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

Me too, where can I do this. I want to put money on the Bolts.

15. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    Yeah, I can see how Norv Turner & Philip Rivers are a much worse bet to win a Lombardi next season than Jack Del Rio & David Garrard, Mike McCarthy & Aaron Rodgers or Wade Phillips & Tony Romo…after all, Norv is the only one of these coaches to actually win a ring as an NFL coach albeit as a Coordinator, Rivers has close to as many starts & wins as the other 3 all put together and we must have all just imagined that Norv & Rivers won as many postseason games last year as these other 3 combos combined! :icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Yeah .... no ****.

I guess the oddmakers aren't worried about the Cheeseheads QB and coach situation like they are worried about those factors with SD and Dallas.

Doesn't make sense.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Bingo. The reasoning on this stuff defies logic.

18. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Makes sense to me. Good NFC teams have a much easier road to the SB and you can't win it if you don't make it to the dance.

SD, Indy, and the Pats are all better than any team in the NFC. Jax and Pittsburgh are better than most. Only one of those five will get a chance to play in the big game, the rest will knock each other out.

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Geez, I hope I have enuff Bolt$$$ to bet with...the Spurs and Pads're killin me :icon_eek: :icon_sad: :tdown:

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :tup: :icon_toast:

21. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I am without a doubt dumping some coin on this.

22. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Don't we have an easier schedule? Have they looked at how crappy the Donks, Squaws and Faders are lately, and will be again?

23. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah, I was thinking the same exact thing.
    They played way over their heads last year and I heard they have a new starter on offense.

• Like Like x 1
  24. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    This is just crazy.....i would expect the Pats up there then the Bolts (not sayin thats the way it should be) but this? No respect!

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    What was that catchy little phrase that RTL adopted last year? Oh yeah ...

EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!

:abq2: :abq1: :abq1: :abq2: