1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2010 NFL Draft Player Spotlight

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by LT-Express, Feb 5, 2010.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Ok guys I am going to do something different this year, and try and highlight a player in this years draft, every few days. I will do my best at putting videos up if they are available, and measurables so that everyone can understand the players a little bit better. Some of us are not quite up to speed on a lot of players in this years draft and this may help you. Please DO NOT go off topic here, I would like to hear what you think of this player, what he brings and doesn't bring to a team, and where you think he will go and what round.

I will start the player spotlight this week with:

Patrick Robinson
    5'11"/194 Lbs
    Florida State University
    Projected Round 1/ #2 CB

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Very good speed, good hands, flips his hips well, good feet, good size. Not afraid to hit. Reacts well & has good instincts - mirrors routes very well. Reads the QB well & nearly always gets his head around to track the ball. Doesn't always wrap up as well as he should & sometimes goes for the ball with the wrong hand. Needs to work on shedding blocks better in run support.

He's had a couple of off-field issues that seem to come from immaturity. This is hopefully behind him. He's a hard worker & likes the challenge of going up against the best opposing WR. With a good combine, his stock will be red-hot.

I see him as a late 1st to early 2nd round prospect. Right now I'd rate Haden a little higher. Robinson reminds me of Jammer coming out of college with a little better speed, hands, & reaction to the ball.

3. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354

Very good analysis Buck. I agree with you 100%, and I think with a big combine he could possibly be snagged mid first, possibly by houston.

I watched that game against West Virginia in the Gator Bowl and saw him run down Noel Devine from 8 yards behind him and that was impressive. He has blazing speed which will make him hard for someone not to take a chance in the first with.

4. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    For those of you, who didn't see the game watch the highlights here starting at 17 secs and watch Patrick Robinson chase down Noel Devine from about 7 or 8 yards behind him.

[​IMG]

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Thanks. Saw that game as well. I don't want to take a DB with our 1st, but in light of how Cromartie is performing & the uncertainty with Cason (who I really liked coming out of college & still believe in), I could understand & support taking Robinson at #28.

There are a few teams who could really use him - Houston, Atlanta, NYG, & GB come to mind.

6. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    Ya I hear ya Buck. This player spotlight that I am trying this year, isn't all about players the Chargers should draft. I am just highlighting various players, so that people who do not have the time to research, or just do not know a lot about some of the players coming out can get a better idea of the depth and talent at certain positions.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Whoever gets this guy will be lucky. He seems to play with a high level of intensity and he isn't afraid to hit unlike Cromartie. I don't think the chargers will get him because we have other needs at the moment.

8. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Another Spotlight within this spotlight.. (sorry if it's off topic but I think people need to learn about this guy)

Joique [Joyk] Bell
    RB WSU D-II
    6ft 1in 223lbs

This kid is a BEAST

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    He's listed at 5'11 223 by CBSsportsline, here is their scouting report...

Projected 4th round..

Inside: Well-developed upper and lower bodies give him strength to get tough yards inside. Sidesteps penetrating defenders, able to find a hole and accelerate to it. Presses the line but has the good vision to bounce a play outside when the B-gap closes. Will push the pile near the goal line and keep fighting for yards after contact.

Outside: Patient runner who could succeed in a zone scheme. Very good balance and will spin off a tackle or put his hand down to keep himself upright. Runs with the ball in either hand, although he can get a bit loose with it in the open field (four fumbles in '09). Has the speed to get to the corner against Division II defenses but will have a harder time doing so against NFL competition. Lacks breakaway speed or a second gear once in the open, but smaller defenders have a tough time tracking him down without the perfect angle.

Breaking tackles: Strong runner in trash who keeps legs churning until he's on the ground. Runs with a lean that prevents straight-on collisions and makes smaller defenders bounce off him. Tough for defensive backs to bring down in the open field and can leap over cut tackles. Can jump high over the pile near the goal line or dive into the end zone from a few yards out.

Blocking: Will need to prove himself in pass protection, as he has limited experience and hasn't faced NFL-caliber defenders coming after quarterback. Effort is there, however, and he has the low center of gravity and strength to stand his ground.

Receiving: Usually catches the ball with his hands, although the pace on those passes isn't NFL-caliber. Typically used on screens and throws into the flat, but is willing to run crossing patterns and make catches in traffic. Good vision and toughness after the catch, but faster, stronger NFL defenders will be more difficult to avoid in the open field.

Intangibles: Highly regarded among his teammates and coaches as an unselfish leader by example. Came from tough childhood in a very poor Michigan town to succeed. On schedule to graduate with a Criminal Justice degree.

10. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    I like the look of Robinson

He loves to hit which already makes him better than Cro :yes:

11. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

never heard of him, and I live here!! :lol:

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I hope we can trade cro for some picks and get this guy.. IMO probably not gonna happen... :icon_huh:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Don't want to take this thread too far off-topic as I know that LT-Express wants to talk about the player profile that he posts primarily.

I just have this .... I like to look at the small school guys & have been watching Bell for awhile now - video only as I haven't seen a Wayne State game on TV & certainly not in person. He performed well during Senior Bowl week so I believe the talent is there for him to succeed at the next level. His stock could take off with a good combine. I'd like to see us target him with our 4th. Don't know that he'll last until our 5th.

Another guy that I like, & he'd be more of a Sproles replacement, is LaMarcus Coker from Hampton via TN. Had some issues at TN that got him booted (smoking dope), but has kept his nose clean since. Vicious fast - will run a low 4.3 or possibly high 4.2's at his pro day - not a Combine invite. Returns kicks as well. Probably a 7th or UDFA.

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I hope your talking about these guys as development players and not the guys you expect to fill the shoes of LaDanian Tomlinson in 2010:icon_eek:

Both guys are interesting, I'd like to make Bell our 3rd/4th string and develop him like we did Michael Turner. And Coker sounds like a practice squad guy to me for a good long while, maybe developing into a punt/kick returner like Clifton Smith.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    No one is going to FILL those shoes any time soon. With these guys, Tolbert, & the right fixes on defense, we don't need an LT-fueled running game.

16. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I hate one dimentional offenses, not only does it limit what you can do in certain situations it makes it easier for teams to key in on your tendencies. I realize how much people around here worship Rivers, but the Jets game is one huge example of why you can't put all the pressure on him to play perfect every week.

Maybe Norv goes for it on 4th and 1 on the NYJ 36 instead of punting?
    Maybe Norv calls a run play on 3rd and 4th down instead of turing to some dumbass reverse to Jackson?
    Maybe from 1st and goal from our own 4ydline we're able to call a couple run plays and get our backs out of the endzone before Rivers forces the ball into triple coverage! WE NEED A RUNNING GAME!

17. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Naw man. Rivers is maturing. I bet he pulls 158.3 next year in every game!!!

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I understand & am not disagreeing that we need a running game. I just don't see much performance difference once you get past Spiller, Best, & maybe Matthews. The pack starts to really get close.

I feel that we can put up a better running game this year without busting the bank, improve our defense considerably, & then make a splash with a RB when there's more talent. Could be next year depending on who comes out, but definitely by 2012. And I don't think it hurts our chances at a SB.

Just my 2 cents.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I understand exactly what your talking about, but its going to be soooo irritating to watch us fling the ball 40-50 times a game and punt on 4th and short all year. I got a draft senario you'd probably like that I wouldn't be unhappy about.....

Trade Merriman to Arizona for their 1st...
    Trade Cromartie to Detroit for their 2nd...(could also be STL, Tampa, KC, or Cle all have CB needs)
    (26) Dan Williams NT - 6'3 330, To eventually replace Williams.
    (28) Everson Griffen - 6'3 275, runs 4.6 40...The kind of physical freak AJ likes, 5 technique DE like English was.
    (34) Brandon Spikes ILB - 6'3 252, Would be a serious upgrade over Cooper, a Maualuga type draft pick just better.
    (60) Montario Hardesty RB - 5'11 210, No nonsense runner, lacks breakaway speed but maybe he can be the next Frank Gore.

I gotta say if this happened I would not be upset at all. An infusion of young talent on the front 7 could make us extremely stout.

20. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37

I really hope we can get some trades but there will be better people than hardesty available... Blount, Tate, and Gerhart are all better IMO. Trading our immature players would really help though

21. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    While I do like the Merriman and Cro trade (and I'd still consider as well maybe a Sproles trade too for a second), I am not very sure about your picks. Love Williams but I haven't heard anything that Griffen is capable of playing OLB, he's pretty big already. Spikes I like (and I love the idea of pairing him with Siler) but that's too early for a position that's really not at need. And Hardesty, idk why but I just do not like him as a player. Don't think he's big enough to be an effective power back and he definitely doesn't have speed to be a good runner.

For what its worth my thoughts are

1. Dan Williams NT Tennessee
    1. Ryan Matthews RB Fresno St
    2. Tyson Alualu DE California
    2. (for Sproles, middle round) Jerry Hughes OLB TCU
    2. Jared Veldheer OT Hillsdale

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776

I like most of it and I damn sure wouldn't complain...but I'm not sure we need a 3-4 DE right now, espescially if we draft Dan Williams. If we do land Williams I wouldn't be surprised to see him start at DE with Jamal and Castillo. And we'd still have Martin, Ngwabuo, Cesaire, Johnson, Bingham, Boone, Scott all rotating in....albeit 1 or 2 will probably get cut.

That said if we're trading Cro AJ probably has his eye on a CB.

23. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +354
    If we had 2 firsts and 3 2nd's which will never happen I would rather see it look like this.

1. Dan Williams-Tennessee
    1. Patrick Robinson-Florida St
    2. Jonathon Dwyer- Georgia Tech
    2. Jerry Hughes-TCU
    2. Major Wright-Florida

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    A guy I've been researching... Jason Worilds...6'2 260 OLB. EXPLOSIVE first step reminds me of Shaun Phillips, the way he flys through the air reminds me of an earlier Shawne Merriman. I bet he runs in the low 4.6s, or even high 4.5s, at the combine, he is instantly in the QB's face when he gets an opening.

The guy wearing #6 in this video.

Concern: Injury is a black flag....not red, BLACK. He's been injured damn near half his college carrer. Its why he's rated as a 2nd round pick and not a top 15 if you ask me.