1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2011 NFL Draft...First Round Order of Picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Blincoe, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Sep 15, 2007
    2011 NFL Draft, First-Round Order

The Carolina Panthers own the No. 1 pick of the 2011 National Football League Draft, which will be held on April 28-30 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

The order of the first round of the 2011 Draft was announced Monday by the NFL.

The NFL Draft will kick off in primetime for the second consecutive year. The first round will be held on Thursday, April 28. The second and third rounds are set for Friday, April 29. Rounds 4-7 will be held on Saturday, April 30.

Below is the tentative order of the first 20 picks of the 2011 Draft. The final 12 spots of the first round will be determined after the playoffs.

1. Carolina Panthers

2. Denver Broncos

3. Buffalo Bills

4. Cincinnati Bengals.

5. Arizona Cardinals

6. Cleveland Browns

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Tennessee Titans

9. Dallas Cowboys

10. Washington Redskins

11. Houston Texans

12. Minnesota Vikings

13. Detroit Lions

14. St. Louis Rams

15. Miami Dolphins

16. Jacksonville Jaguars

17. Oakland Raiders (New England has first round pick)

18. San Diego Chargers

19. New York Giants

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Read more: 2011 NFL Draft, First-Round Order - NFL - SI.com
  2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Sep 15, 2007
    2011...Mock Draft

Now that Andrew Luck has announced he's returning to Stanford, the top of the draft has changed dramatically, especially for the remaining top quarterback prospects. With a potential lockout looming, teams may not be able to trade for veteran quarterbacks until right before the season. And a potential rookie wage scale could make QBs even more tempting, since teams wouldn't have to pay the normal premium for the position. Last month, Packers president Mark Murphy wrote in the Washington Post that the league wants a system that would lock a QB taken No. 1 overall into a six-year, $19.9 million contract. That's not a big risk for the most important position on the field.

1. Carolina Panthers -- Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Quarterbacks have gone No. 1 overall eight out of the past 10 years. CAA, which represents Gabbert, has represented seven of the past eight overall No. 1 picks. Despite playing in a spread offense at Missouri, Gabbert is the top-rated quarterback and is the kind of player Carolina could sell to its fans.

DON BANKS: Draft notebook on QB prospects, more

2. Denver Broncos -- Da'Quan Bowers, DE, Clemson

The Broncos need a defensive playmaker and should look at Bowers and Auburn's Nick Fairley here. It helps to get Elvis Dumervil back from a torn pectoral muscle that forced him to miss the entire 2010 season, but they need to make doubly sure they can improve their league-low sack total.

3. Buffalo Bills -- Nick Fairley, DT, Auburn

The Bills allowed over 200 yards rushing in eight games last season and getting tough in the middle should be their No. 1 priority. Fairley isn't quite Ndamukong Suh, but he could bring a Suh-like attitude to a defense that needs to be more aggressive.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Dareus may not be as hot a name because he's been out there as a top draft prospect for so long, but he has had a quality body of work at Alabama. Dareus had 6.5 sacks in 2009 and 4.5 sacks last season. The Bengals' defense fell from No. 4 overall in 2009 to No. 15 this season and needs an impact player on the line.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

The Cardinals might not find the quarterback they love this high up in the draft, so expect them to take the best player available, who also happens to fit a need. Arizona ranked 23rd in pass defense last season in a division in which teams can't throw the ball. Peterson would also be a dangerous return man.

6. Cleveland Browns -- A.J. Green, WR, Georgia

Hard to tell which direction they'll head until they name a head coach, but this offense desperately needs someone to worry opposing defenses. Green should hold off Oklahoma State's Justin Blackmon to be the first receiver taken.

7. San Francisco 49ers -- Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska

New coach Jim Harbaugh needs a quarterback, but he probably feels he knows the college ranks a lot better than the rest of the NFL and can wait to get a guy he can mold into a star. Just look at what he did with Josh Johnson at San Diego. The Niners allowed too many big plays last season and need a shutdown corner. Amukmara didn't have any interceptions, but primarily because no one threw at him.

8. Tennessee Titans -- Aldon Smith, DE, Missouri

The 6-foot-5, 260-pound Smith is going to blow people away at the combine and jump up the board. But he won't be just a workout wonder. He had 11.5 sacks as a freshman at Missouri, and 5.5 last season, when he missed three games with a broken leg. Longtime Titans defensive line mastermind Jim Washburn may be able to turn him into the next Jevon Kearse.

9. Dallas Cowboys -- Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Assuming the Cowboys think they can sign Nnamdi Asomugha to help solidify the secondary, they'll turn to the offensive line in the draft. Smith has a good chance to come out of the predraft process as the top offensive lineman.

10. Washington Redskins -- Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkanas

Mallett needs to work with a good coach to improve his footwork. Right now if defenses bring pressure up the middle he's in trouble. Mike Shanahan seems to like mobile quarterbacks, but could work with the strong-armed Mallett while he sits behind either Donovan McNabb or Rex Grossman. They also desperately need a receiver, but with Justin Blackmon going back to Missouri, they might wait to draft a pass-catcher.

TONY PAULINE: Top 25 prospects in 2011 NFL Draft

11. Houston Texans -- Akeem Ayers, LB, UCLA

Ayers will thrive in Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme since he can rush the passer and cover. The Texans need his versatility and his knack for making big plays.

12. Minnesota Vikings -- Robert Quinn, DE, North Carolina

The Vikings need a quarterback, but they could let their next offensive coordinator bring in a veteran to implement his system instead of starting over with a rookie. With 22 free agents on the roster, the Vikes may end up with plenty of needs. Quinn could help replace DE Ray Edwards, who is unlikely to be back in Minnesota.

13. Detroit Lions -- Derek Sherrod, OT, Mississippi State

The Lions need help in their back seven on defense, but the right player may not be in this spot unless they love Texas' Aaron Williams, or if Peterson or Amukamara slip. Look for Detroit to fill out those spots later in the draft and start first by solidifying their line with Sherrod.

14. St. Louis Rams -- Julio Jones, WR, Alabama

The Rams could use help on the offensive line, but there are a lot of questions in this year's OL crop. They also need another big target for Sam Bradford.

15. Miami Dolphins -- Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama

Ingram is likely the only first-round worthy running back, and the Dolphins may very well lose both Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams this offseason. Miami also needs a quarterback, but with Tony Sparano presumably coaching for his job he's not going to want to start a rookie.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Cam Newton, QB, Auburn

The Jags can let Newton sit behind David Garrard and develop.

17. New England Patriots (via Oakland) -- J.J. Watt, DE, Wisconsin

Under-recruited, hard-working lineman ... sounds like a Patriot. Even though New England's defense improved greatly throughout the year, the Pats still need playmakers.

18. San Diego Chargers -- Vonn Miller, LB, Texas A&M

Having the No. 1 defense and the No. 1 offense provides you some luxury in the draft. But the Chargers' defense isn't quite as good as its numbers because the special teams' failures kept them off the field in certain games. Miller can get to the quarterback and will be compared to Shawne Merriman.

19. New York Giants -- Allen Bailey, DL, Miami

The Giants will likely need a running back, but they've proven you don't need to use a first-round pick to do well at that position. Instead, they can bolster their defensive line with the versatile Bailey.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Adrian Clayborn, DE, Iowa

The Bucs have to be excited there are so many quality defensive ends in this year's draft. Clayborn entered the season as the top defensive end prospect, but only had four sacks his senior campaign. The Bucs could also look at California's Cameron Jordan and Ohio State's Cameron Heyward.

21. Kansas City Chiefs -- Gabe Carimi, OT, Wisconsin

Some draft experts question his athleticism, but Carimi fits the bill as a big, tough, run-blocking lineman.

22. Indianapolis Colts -- Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State

The Colts had just one sack against the Jets in their wild-card loss and need to get a player who can make an impact up the middle to free up their pass-rushing ends.

23. Philadelphia Eagles -- Aaron Williams, CB, Texas

Opponents too easily picked on whoever wasn't being covered by Asante Samuel last season. The Eagles would be very happy if the Longhorns corner was still available.

24. New Orleans Saints -- Anthony Costanzo, OT, Boston College

The Saints' vaunted line took a step backward this season, and left tackle Jermon Bushrod and guard Carl Nicks are free agents. They also could have running back issues since Pierre Thomas is a free agent, but they'd be better served getting one lower in the draft.

(Picks 25-32 will be determined as the NFL playoffs unfold.)

Read more: 2011 NFL Mock Draft has Blaine Gabbert as No. 1 pick - Andrew Perloff - SI.com
  3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Aug 14, 2006
    I have no problem with Miller, but I'd rather never see Jerome Clary in a Charger uniform again.

I think we give English 1 more year, and draft OT Gabe Carimi.
  4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Aug 4, 2006
    Gabe Carimi for me been saying that for 2 months now. Give me a LT that can convert to RT and comes from a Run first college offense like Wisconsin and im all over it. Carimi is a Road grader. Has some lateral movement issues but can be fixed at the pro level.
  5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Allen Bailey, DL, Miami
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Aug 14, 2006
    I like him but I honestly don't believe Bailey fits what we do. In size yes, but in mentality the guy wants to hit the quarterback and work up field. We just need a guy to take on double teams without getting angled or moved backwards. I think Paea, Dareus, and Jordan fit the 5 technique better.
  7. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Aug 2, 2006
    Not Chargers related but this. Why for this Mock Draft are the Panthers taking with the #1 Pick Blaine Gabbert a QB because they have Jimmy Clausen as their QB?

I guess 1 year is considered a Bust now. Wow!
  8. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Just as strange as taking a project like Cam Newton at 16. Vince Young 2.0?
  9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    My board

1. Marcel Dareus - best DT after Fairley
    2. Cameron Jordan - prefer his effort and drive to Bailey's ability but limited instincts/knowledge
    3. Gabe Carimi - as was said, he'd be a hell of a road grader
    4. Von Miller - I'd prefer to give English one more year but he's a damn good prospect
    5. Allen Bailey - Wildly talented but questionable instincts/intelligence
  10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    There was report of them considering Luck but that was far more about how Luck was the best QB prospect in a decade plus and less about Claussen playing with nothing around him. Now that Luck's out, it would make sense for them to select Fairley with the first pick since they have issues at DT and Fairley has played like a man possessed. It doesn't make sense for them to draft a QB unless Rivera etc is so disgusted with him that they just wanna clear him out (which is possible but unlikely)
  11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Jun 28, 2010
    Paea is the same thing you just described in Bailey. Though I do agree with you that the more tape I watch on Allen Bailey (though I fear his freakish strength and burst - and him being from the ACC, which AJ's drafted more prospects from than any other conference... Big 12 and SEC looming - are going to put him securely on AJ's radar) the less pure 5-Technique I see in him.

Jordan is a 5-tech, and he's what this teams really needs more of which is less flash and more substance - higher floor versus higher ceiling argument. What I'm worried about is that Jordan's stock is only going to increase as he gets more more publicity; he's the kind of versatile, high character guy that is typically coveted by many GM's because he's a very safe pick.

Maybe it's because he finally showed up in his first big game in over a year, but I'm starting to warm to Cameron Heyward. He needs to boost his stock a bit more to not be considered a reach at #18 overall for me, but not by a lot, and considering that AJ has shown he has no issue with reaching to get his guy, I suppose I feel somewhat justified. Again, he doesn't have the ceiling that a guy like Bailey or Fairley has, but his floor is also equal to Fairley's and significantly higher than Bailey's. More importantly, he has the requisite length which is something that starting to concern me about a number of the 5-Tech prospects in this draft.

Heyward isn't going to be Richard Seymour as a pro, but he's could very easily be Chris Canty (in a 3-4), in that he's not going to make many mistakes, he'll do everything you need him to do in terms of his assignment, he'll demand double-teams and push the pocket, and he'll semi-regularly mix in games where he just "goes off" and takes over as a pocket-collapsing pass-rusher.

Miller should in no way or form compare to Merriman. Merriman's pass rushing arsenal was considerably more diverse. He measured in at the combine at 6'4", 245 lbs with the frame, as we saw the proof in the pudding, to handle another 20 pounds (Miller will be lucky to measure at 6'2", 250 lbs and his frame appears as though it may already be maxed out, give or take 5 pounds). And he was considered, prior to the hype DeMarcus Ware received and even then remaining after in the eyes of some, the pound for pound best athlete in the draft. Miller's got a great motor, but finding a quality 3-4 OLB - as we've seen with English - is more than just finding who has reasonably the requisite size and nice, shiny stats in the sacks and TFL categories. What worries me most about him is that he simply doesn't have it in him (physically) to set the edge against bigger OT's; and this is a specific issue for our team because of what we just saw last season where our defense got abused by bigger, stronger "POWER" offensive schemes and lines. If we ran a more of a zone-blitz 3-4 like Pittsburgh runs he'd be ideal, but we don't.