1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2012 start more legitimate?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Melanoma, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    CHARGERS: Team's fast start seems more legit
    [​IMG]

Quarterback Philip Rivers, back, and the Chargers are fired up after winning their first two games, but they still remember how last year's 4-1 start quickly went up in smoke. JAMIE SCOTT LYTLE | jlytle@nctimes.com

SAN DIEGO ---- The Chargers are off to a fast start. Only time will tell if they can match the 4-1 record to begin the 2011 campaign, which preceded a six-game free fall that sullied a season of promise.
    Don't let last year's early play fool you, however. The 2011 Chargers were paper tigers.
    They got fat against poor competition and survived despite severe turnover problems and mental mistakes. They were exposed as the season went on, finishing a pedestrian 8-8.
    This 2-0 start doesn't have the same vibe to the Chargers, an encouraging sign for players hoping that history doesn't repeat itself.
    "We were 4-1 last year, and I was the one that kept championing that record," quarterback Philip Rivers said. "But, honestly, it was slow struggle to get to 4-1. It wasn't an in-sync 4-1. We're far from that right now. We've only won two games, but we're in a better flow than we have been in years past. We're in greater sync in all three phases, but it's all about sustaining it.
    "We've won two games. We play 14 more. That's why we've got to keep the blinders on and keep grinding."
    The Chargers won their first two games despite the fact that they're missing four key starters because of injuries, and are loaded with offseason imports and draft picks. Of the 53 players on the roster, 20 of them are new to the organization.
    So much of preseason focus was on chemistry and cohesiveness that it seemed unlikely that the Chargers could find a productive stride this early.
    "Considering how many new guys we have, I think we're playing pretty well," tight end Randy McMichael said. "The important thing is that we're still getting better. We left a lot of yards on the field yesterday, but if you can do those things and still win convincingly, that's a real positive."
    The Chargers seemed to scrape by last season. Rivers threw seven interceptions in the first five games, and the team had 10 total turnovers. They beat four teams that finished with a combined 24-40 record, then fell apart when injuries decimated their offensive line and defensive front seven.
    Their start hasn't been perfect, but it has been much better than a year ago. The Chargers bottled up a dynamic rusher in consecutive weeks ---- Oakland's Darren McFadden, then Tennessee's Chris Johnson. They have just one turnover and have played excellent special teams.
    After struggling to score touchdowns from the red zone in the opener, they excelled in that area Sunday against the Titans.
    "I felt like the Raider game was like two or three of the wins we had earlier last year. I thought this was different ---- we still have a number of issues we have to take care of and we will start addressing those today," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "The game wasn't anywhere as clean as I'd like it to be. We have a physical group of guys up front on defense. We've added to that with our draft picks and some of the people we signed. We have great quickness and speed. That's a great combination and the fact that we've started off playing the run the way we have is, to me, the biggest thing I see so far."
    The Chargers are allowing only 41 rushing yards per game, best in the NFL. Only Houston is giving up fewer points than the 12.0 of the Chargers.
    "We're confident because we're doing things we need to do to succeed, but there's plenty of room for improvement," cornerback Antoine Cason said. "The wins are good, but you have to put it away. Each week brings its own challenges, and we focus on each one individually. We can't get too high on ourselves after two wins in a row."
    The Chargers haven't played an opponent of note, but that will change Sunday at Qualcomm Stadium. The Atlanta Falcons are the class of the NFC South after beating Denver on Monday night, and will offer the first real measuring stick to see how good the Chargers are.
    The team believes it is better prepared for an early test after showing solid growth and potential in the opening weeks.
    "We won the first two games; that's all we've done, and you have to keep doing it week after week," Rivers said. "We have a tough one this week in Atlanta. ... We have to get ready, because it's going to be tough."

Chargers notes
    Coach Norv Turner said RB Ryan Mathews will continue to practice on Wednesday and is in line to possibly play on Sunday against Atlanta. TE Antonio Gates (ribs) will be evaluated daily and try to work himself back into the starting lineup. Turner expressed concerned over LT Jared Gaither's back troubles and said he'd like a solid backup at the position. ... The team re-signed G/T Reggie Wells and waived DB Greg Gatson. If he clears waivers, Gatson will be added to the practice squad. ... CB Shareece Wright (ankle) is able to walk without crutches or a protective boot, but he's expected to miss several weeks.

Let's see what we do vs. Atlanta, another 2-0 squad, before we get too excited. I like that the defense is playing much faster & more disciplined, that we've overcome some early key injuries, & we're making good in-game adjustments. Our OL continues to concern me & our DB's haven't been tested by a group of receivers like Atlanta's. Pagano is going to have to dial up the heat on Ryan.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Certainly more legit than the 2011 version. I was advising my gambling pals to back against the Bolts when we were 4 and 1. We were a fraud. Not saying we are a whole lot better but we are better.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    The issue I think last year was that they played poor teams initially (minnesota, kansas city, miami) and didn't beat them as they should. Minnesota was an ok come from behind win, Kansas City was a lucky victory that was nearly lost, Miami wasn't a great win either. At least for two games the 2012 Chargers have taken teams they should beat and beat them thoroughly. Oakland, for all the talk about the bad long snapper, was a game they bottled up McFadden and by the third quarter shut down their passing game (which was McFadden). Tennessee even with the few issues was a thorough butt whopping from start to finish. The team is not only beating teams they should but beating them convincingly, and that's what matters.

Of course that'll all be for naught unless they can beat more difficult opponents and that starts with Atlanta on sunday

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SatchBolt

SatchBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I am not sure we can make any conclusions until we've played Atlanta, Denver, and Baltimore. It's not saying much that we are better than TN and Oakland.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    Our first real test will be Atlanta. And that test should be taken with all the players participating.

Ryan Matthews and Antonio Gates need to be on the field so that we can judge how this team is going to play. That defense that just threw Payton Manning into a tizzy I think can be beat with quick slant routes. Big plays on Sunday will be plays that are in the 10-15 yard range.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Perhaps not - but we beat them more convincingly than the teams that we faced at this point in the season last year. It's not necessarily WHO you play, but HOW you play them.

7. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    For sure. Last year, even the local journalists kept asking if it was legit, and Rivers and Turner were on the defensive.
    This year they're saying they still need to improve rather than dwelling on the team's strengths. Sure sign they have more confidence in this squad.

8. SayOw

SayOw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    I don't think it is more legit and likely some of the same.

Oakland and Tennessee are games I felt the Chargers could win. I thought Atlanta would be a good test for the Chargers and still should be one, but they don't seem nearly as good as I thought the Falcons would be at home.

The first 6 weeks of the NFL season, imo, is the new "preseason" where teams are beginning to find their identity. Certainly a team doesn't want to start 0-6, but even at 2-4 or better, a team could make a legitimate playoff run just by playing well the latter half of the season.

The Chargers schedule gave them the opportunity to start 2-0 and the games should be tougher from here on out. It's nice they are in first place, but I'd rather see them in first place in December rather than September.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,770
    Just take care of business and good things will follow.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    I feel like a broken record this time of year every season but I don't care about the start half as much as most Chargers fans have grown to care about ever since Norval has made it an annual circus.

That's not to say I don't care about it at all, of course. Naturally a win is always much better than a loss no matter the week, but I think the slow starts have gotten fans and even professional sports analysts alike too fixated on the first half of the season trying to paint it as what solely wins or loses the season for you.

11. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    But yes, a quick 2-0 jump start that actually looks like they're getting the wins even (as opposed to last year) does feel a bit better at this juncture of the season.

That said, they still have 14 games left on the regular season schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    The last line I saw before the opener had the Raiders favored by 1.

Just a little something to remember as pundits retroactively say things like "winning games they're supposed to win."

The reality is that no one really knows what these first two weeks mean: 3 days ago the
    Bears, Pats & Ravens were "unstoppable." And no one has any idea if Brees & Co. will bounce back.

I'm just happy the Chargers are sitting at 2-0. No one knows how Oakland or Tennessee will finish,
    so I'm not wasting a lot of energy trying to decide how big these wins are. What's important is that the
    defense is playing better & Rivers has found a way to move the ball without key players.

Legit? Only Hammer knows for sure... :)

Legit.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    really? :rolleyes:

14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,499
    The good thing, is that with all the youth on defense, and new additions on offense, the team is playing well while it's still finding its identity. We have every expectation of this year's squad getting better as the year goes on.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    The Chargers put up 38 points yesterday without their two most dynamic offensive weapons. They have allowed less than 100 yards rushing and Garay has yet to play. This team looks way better than last year's team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,374
    The Chargers put up 38 points yesterday without their two most dynamic offensive weapons. They have allowed less than 100 yards rushing and Garay has yet to play. This team looks way better than last year's team.

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,499
    I think somebody said that already. ;)

18. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    So far I'd say yes. But we're not 4-1 yet.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    This is a GREAT post...I like it so much, I hope you'll post it--verbatim--at least one more time! :)

20. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    The Chargers put up 38 points yesterday without their two most dynamic offensive weapons. They have allowed less than 100 yards rushing and Garay has yet to play. This team looks way better than last year's team.​

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    You're a sick funk! :roflmao:

22. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,388
    One thing I'll say about our defense...

Last season when Rivers turned over the ball our defense NEVER had the attitude of "We'll get it back/We'll make a stop". But THIS defense has that. I know it's only two games. But we are seeing early signs of that attitude.

23. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +299
    You like funk? I'd highly recommend you check out this album

[​IMG]

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,229
    My brother had that...

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
  26. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    Last year the defense's response was:

Excuse us, kind sirs, but could you please see yourselves clear to return that pigskin
    to us at your earliest convenience? We've been out here in this hot sun for 3rd down after
    3rd down, and we're ever so weary and fatigued. Please, we beseech thee, kindly return
    that ball when you're quite finished with it. RSVP post haste?

Cordially yours,

The Manusky Gentlemen.

• Like Like x 1