1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2012: The Year The Internet Ends

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I was sent this info from a techie friend of mine. He says it's all true, but you make up your own mind.

2. stone86

stone86 New Member

Ratings:
    +25
    i like her

3. Stan_The_Man_12

Stan_The_Man_12 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Isn't this also the year the Maya's predicted the world would come to an end? So if you think about it, no need to change my internet habits since we all will be space dust on December 22nd of 2012.

And I can save some money for something I/we really want = a Cruise on the Adriatic!!!!!!!!!! or that Trip to Machupichu mrs Stan and I always keep talking about!!!!!!!!

Stan :rivers17:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I am calling BS. This reminds me of the paranoia that surrounded Y2K.

You can't put the genie back in the bottle. Sorry, I ain't buying it.

5. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Totally agree.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    a horse and buggy will also be my primary mode of transportation by 2012. :yes:

Actually, that would be kinda nice. :tup:

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I know very little about the way the internet actually functions and stays online. But given my very limited knowledge I can really only come up with one organization or institution that would be able to keep something like this from happening and that is the scientific/university community.

If the entire commercial internet chose to make itself an exclusive, pay only service, I absolutely believe the Universities and educational organizations across the globe would just create a "seperate" internet for the exchange of knowledge and information rather than dollars and products.

Between online schools and communications the internet is just so necessary for the current advancement of civilization that I refuse to believe our highest educational institutions would allow it to just go away.

• Like Like x 1
  8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Never got above her neck!!

:lol::lol::lol:

no, the Mayan calendar ends in 2012 (kinda like our y2k computers). They never predicted the end of the world.

Internet revenue is based on advertising, somehow I don't think the major corporations will allow a small number if players to hold up the golden goose that is the internet

:tup:

9. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I think their point is that all the major corporations will be involved, so they'll be the ones to corner the market.

Now I don't see this ever happening for a couple of other reasons.

1) Uproar. Way to many people would be pissed. People wold be vocal and boycott those large corporations.

2) It creates opportunity. Opportunity for someone else to to provide what the big guys won't. Smaller local ISPs will continue to offer the entire internet because they have plenty of incentive to offer it, and little or no incentive to offer a tiered system.

But, this is still important. Other aspects of net neutrality will and currently are being attacked. This will have a negative impact for the consumer.

I'll use comcast for an example. They are one of the largest internet providers in the United States. They currently sell more bandwidth than they have available. They can do this because the expectation is that every customer will not use 100% of their bandwidth. Actually the average home consumer uses only a very small portion of the bandwidth available to them. Just surfing website and checking email doesn't take much bandwidth at all.

The problem is the internet is so much more and more and more people are discovering new and inventive ways to use the internet. These other uses have the potential to use considerably more bandwidth.

That is why comcast has instituted a secret bandwidth cap on all of their customers. That's right, it you use to much bandwidth, you can and will be shut off by comcast. The limits are not told to their customers. You can verify this by calling comcast. They will generally confirm that there is a limit, but can't tell you what it is.

Fortunately, their limit is high enough that most will not ever reach it. But if you believe that you're getting unlimited bandwidth, you're not.

Another thing they do that violates net neutrality is that they actually have scripts running that will break your download if you are downloading large files. They won't share what the algorithm they use is, but if they suspect you are file via a peer-to-peer network such as limewire (or the many others like it), their script will attempt to break the download.

They will prioritize your internet traffic based on what type of traffic it is and how important they feel that type of traffic is. This violates the principles of net neutrality and is already happening. One of the major principles of net neutrality is that all internet traffic is treated same. All uses of the internet all equal. That's the idea at least, but as the internet expands, do we really want someone to decide that streaming video isn't as important as email? or vice versa?

You might be asking, why should I care? This pretty much only affects internet geeks that use a lot of bandwidth, and if they're that geeky, they probably already use a non major ISP that does not do these things. For the most part that's true. Right now it's a problem that can be avoided by the tech savey.

But as these systems are expanded, more and more major ISPs will join in on this. It saves them money, because if everyone actually used all the bandwidth they thought they were getting, they could not oversell. It's easier for them to dump customers that use to much bandwidth, than invest in more network infrastructure.

Would you buy a car that had a computer chip that limited how much you could drive each month? Even if that limit was very high and you would almost never reach it. What if the car manufacturer decided what the right amount of driving was per month? Maybe you'd never hit that hard limit, but think about if you did.

Should those that drive more be penalized? Should those that want access to the whole internet be penalized? Should big corporations be deciding which types of things we do on the internet are a priority? Some ISPs are doing this now. Think about it.

10. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    That'd pretty much kill the internet, and what would be the point of search engines if you were limited to only a few sites? It'd kill Google, Yahoo etc. so they'd fight this big time.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Paranoia... cha cha cah!!!

I'm sure we will see some changes four years from now, just like cable TV from the beginning to digital cable today. BUT... if anything, it will expand ALL sites, from the big names to the no names.
    As for viewers, as everybody knows... you have to bring viewers to your site and if the site is good, they'll continue to visit.

Any future changes on the internet will be good for everybody.
    Nobody looks at their cell phone and says "we should have stuck with pagers."
    Nobody smacks themselves after sending an email and says "I could have faxed it instead."
    Nobody surfs through their 200+ channels of digital cable and says "I liked it better when there was 30 channels."
    Nobody watches their plazma and talks about how great the earlier TVs were.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    People don't want to go backwards, but those greedy *** corporations would love it.

**** the only reason cable expanded is because of competition (DirecTV, Dish etc.) you think they'd have any interest of adding any additional channels, spending additional money, and decreasing revenue just to provide the consumer with what they want.

Same thing with cell phones, added competition presses them to give you better deals.

Internet service the same thing.

But if the Internet providers find a way to somehow collude to limit internet access and are able to do it without having any external competition and they think they can make more money off of it they'd jump on that in a second.

13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I pay $49 a month for internet service now and i dont go to 2000 sites. As long as This Site is included in that 2000, then im cool!!! :lol:

Oh and the Charger sites i go to.

If not, then ill just cancel the internet altogether while telling them to go **** themselves :yes:
    I just dont see this going over well for these brainstormers

14. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    As a side note, I wish there were more time on that video of that girls ta-ta's instead of the French nerds.

15. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    :bow:

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,898
    It aint gonna happen, though.

They can all agree and do it, then all some other company has to do is come in and offer the entire shebang without limiting access and they get all the business.

Crap like this is spread just to cause unnecessary paranoia.

On the off chance it does happen you won't see me on the internet anymore.