1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Since there is no way we can rebuild the line through the draft in 1 years and address other needs what free agents do you think we should get.

I say go get Brandon Albert (LT) and Andy Levitre (LG). Then if we get the best OT available in the 1st, put him at RT, and bring back Vasquez and Hardwick, our O-Line could be rebuilt pretty quickly.

Everyone else they bring in can be depth as far as I am concerned. If we did something like this on the line, we would be back in the hunt next year

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I'd think about getting Jake Long

3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455
    These are the biggest names that are FA's this year at O-Line:

Jake Long (MIA) - OT
    Ryan Clady (DEN) - OT
    Branden Albert (KC) - OT
    Sebastian Vollmer (NE) - OT
    Brandon Moore (NYJ) - OG
    Andy Levitre (BUF) - OG
    Andre Smith (CIN) - OT
    Sam Baker (ATL) - OT

I would love Jake Long and Levitre. My guess is Long gets paid by Miami and Clady will get paid or franchised. Albert is a bit more borderline, its possible we could snap him up. Vollmer has to stay healthy but he is good when he is. Moore is good but 33 years old so... Smith and Baker are under achievers with more ceiling if someone can wrangle it out of them.

4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I think Levitre is on top of Buffalo's list of re signings but Urbik is a player who we can have who is very solid and would come a a cheaper rate

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I think we would all love Long and/or Clady, but the odds of us signing the top player at any position, is very unlikely. That is why I didn't mention either of them. I was trying to throw out names that we could realistically get

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Long's play has declined..... do you really want to pay big money to a guy on the downward slope?

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I think Albert might be more viable as an option for LT but if we don't go OT I'd want to grab OLB/CB in free agent.

8. MadMike

Ratings:
    +455
    We realistically need 3 new starting lineman. We need 2 new tackles and a new guard. I could deal with having Hardwick and Vasquez back if they had better people around them. Gaither will be nothing but a backup as we have no trust in him. Clary needs to be rotated back to his real position, right bench, and Green can have the seat next to him. Mike Harris may be able to work up to a starting roll at RT (or even LT) but that wont be by next year, and we have no other tackles on the PS or roster of starting caliber. Molk should be a solid starter at C in a year or two, when Hardwick is ready to retire (If he doesnt retire this off-season due to the O-line fiasco). No idea on what we have in Troutman, but im sure we dont have a starting caliber guard on the roster. So between the draft and free agency, we need 2 starting tackles and a starting guard. I'm not even sure its possible for us to do that in a single off-season and stay under the cap. We will need to be awfully careful with who we re-sign in the off-season to save as much money as we can for the O-Line.

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Those guys are likely to receive the franchise tag..

In all honesty, OL must be the first pick. Whether it's LT or RT. I prefer LT to protect Rivers' blindside.

Next year, I believe Troutman, Dombrowski, and Harris will be quality backups/fill in players. Vasquez must be re-signed. And Schilling was terrific when asked to fill in last year, don't understand why he was cut in the first place, and I think he'll earn at least a camp invite.

There are a few cap casualty guys that might be cut for those reasons. So, there might be more OL FA depth..

Brandon Moore, Andy Levitre, Ryan Lilja, Richie Incognito (not a fan), Geoff Schwartz, David Diehl, Chris Snee, Matt Slauson, Ramon Foster and Chris Williams are guys we could approach.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I vote sign Jake Long to play LT
    Then sign Brandon Albert to play RT
    Then sign DRC to play CB
    Then sign Connor Barwin to play OLB
    Then re-sign Butler, Vasquez, and Alexander to 10 year deals.
    Then trade Meachem and a 3rd to Detroit for Calvin Johnson
    Then trade back a couple spots the 1st round and get an extra 2nd round pick this year as well as a 1st next year.
    Then draft Chance Warmack
    Then trade our 2nd round pick and a pick next year to get back in the 1st and draft Dee Milliner

:tup::whistling::geek:

11. MadMike

Ratings:
    +455
    You forgot sending a bottle of San Diego weather and 20 prostitutes to Kraft for Bill Belicheat as our new HC.

• Funny Funny x 2