1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 Free agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Jan 1, 2013.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Osi is moving on from the Giants.. He started only 11 games the last 2 years (2011 - holdout/injury, 2012 - played in 16 started 4) and had 15 sacks..

Shaun Phillips started 28 games the last 2 years and had only 13 sacks..

Just saying, another veteran OLB/DE to take into consideration. The price tag on guys like Phillips, Osi, and Harisson can't be that high on guys that are 32+ next season..

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I'd be all for Osi.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Do we draft another CB or get one in FA?

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Both. Get one in the 2nd or 3rd, and sign a mid tier vet to keep the spot warm for a year or 2 until the rookie is ready

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,726
    Kind of depends on what happens over the next couple months. If solid players like Derek Cox, Brent Grimes, or Keenan Lewis become available, and are healthy and affordable, it'd be great to just get rid of CB as a need heading into the draft.

That way we could go OT, OT, OG in the first 3 rounds.

7. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd draft a CB, but a raw one. In the later rounds. Gilchrist will most likely play the Charles Woodson role next year if our coach is smart. Nickel CB/FS.

Signing a vet CB is key, draft a raw one in this years draft, and next year there will be 2 top-15 caliber CB's in next years draft in Quandre Diggs and Bradley Roby. Don't believe me? Watch the tape, both are sophomores heading into junior year and both will dominate next years CB class. Thats where we get our starter for years to come.

So whether its re-signing our own in Cason, I'd still go out and get another CB in FA, draft a raw one, and hope everything plays out for the best.

So I'd have Sharecee Wright, Marcus Gilchrist, Cason or Free Agent, Free Agent, Rookie

• Like Like x 1
  8. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +102
    There are some good T's in FA. Poaching a bookend in FA would take some pressure off the draft. I would personally drive a Mack truck full of cash to Minny to poach Loadholt. Throw Branden Albert into that mix as well. If Andre Smith can prove this year wasn't just for a sweet contract, he'd be worth a look as well. Any of these three would be ten times better than what we have now.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Red, are you predicting another 6-10/7-9 season for the Chargers? Will that even be bad enough to get one of those players, or are you suggesting a 5-11 season is on the way?

10. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yeah this makes sense. It seems like we are continuously looking for a CB. Maybe the new coach can bring one of his guys to fill the spot (as long as he is decent). Hopefully they will evaluate the "talent" that we have an adjust accordingly.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The FA WR list this offseason is amazing, and the tackles look pretty good too. I think that two players we should look into, if they somehow are not franchised/extended, are Connor Barwin and Dashon Goldson. I know that Goldson plays FS for the 49ers, but I think that a backfield of Goldson and Weddle could be monstrous.

I think that some well-spent money at Tackle, Safety, and Rush LB and we're probably looking at a 5 win swing if paired with a quality draft. Norv is gone, and hope springs eternal.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    I'd only look at O linemen in FA. Would not be all that interested in Loadholt. I'd love Clady but know we have no shot there, probably the same for Long. Vollmer the German might be interesting. Britton, listed as a Guard played Tackle in college if I recall correctly. He could be one to watch.

I still want one of those young OTs coming in the draft though over a corner.

Can Osi be a 3-4 end I'm not so sure?, Barwin or Spencer could be nice adds esp if we lose SP and dump English. Goldson at safety would be an upgrade over what we have there save Weddle.

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    The name that really sticks out to me at WR is Ramses Barden 6'6" 224 in the 3 games he filled in for Nicks he was ballin' and the best part he would come pretty cheap, yet we have Floyd, Alexander, Brown, Royal, Meachem (sigh)

re-sign

Phillips, Novak, Vasquez, Cason, Franklin.

what do you guys think of bringing in 2 pass rushers Laboy and Merriman?

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He was extremely effective, and is probably only going to be a FA because NYG won't want to pay for a 3rd receiver to be buried behind Nicks and Cruz. What makes you think he'll be cheap? I don't know about resigning Phillips. If we can't get a deal done with anyone better, or he'll come for a cheap contract, then sure, but otherwise his performance is likely to see a continual decline.

15. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    at best he'll get a James Jones type contract which is a 3 year @ 9 mil. and that's being generous. I don't see him exactly getting a Fitzgerald/Megatron type deal or even a Desean/ Vincent Jackson deal anytime soon. Plus with teams fighting over Jennings, Wallace, Bowe, Welker, Amendola, and even Hixon (who has had a more productive career) Barden IMO would come cheap, most likely on a 1 year "show me what you can do"

I hope Phillips at this point in his career may give us a hometown discount

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are kidding right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Haha Yeah it was a joke

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah Ramses Barden would fit this offense real nicely. But one can only dream of having a WR corps containing Floyd, Alexander, Meachem, Barden, Brown, and Royal.

Patrick Chung will be a FA, I'd give him a look at SS. Hard hitter, and knows how to tackle. Stevie Brown as well..

Osi can play in the 3-4 for sure, so you'll have Osi, Harrison, Avril, Barwin, Freeney, and Kruger at the OLB position. I honestly don't see the Chargers making a play for any of those guys, I see them signing a guy like Trevor Scott from the Pats whose been a solid rotational player in there 4-3, he's fit for the 3-4 as well. So you'll have Johnson and Ingram as your starters, with Barnes, Scott, and a rookie rotating in. Wouldn't mind it.

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    No, but we must trade up cause it will be a need.

20. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Mortgaging our entire draft to get a top 5 pick is a bad idea.

21. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    [​IMG]

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    I'd be focusing on replacing Gaither/Clary, Cason then Franklin/Phillips. I like Barwin I like Osi but I'd happily pass both those guys up if it means I can throw much needed money at Albert or Long or (if by some miracle) Clady.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    ok, just making sure :)

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    100% agree

25. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I get where you're coming from, but I also look at the draft this year and can't help but think that Tackle is the strong point. What other position are we going to be able to improve at 11th overall as much as we'll be able to improve at OT? The only one that pops up to me would be pass-rusher, and if we sign an OT as a FA and draft a pass-rusher, or sign a pass-rusher as a FA and draft a tackle, does it make a difference?

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    I said top 15.. it's rare two CB's go top 10.. It'll be similar to Ryan Mathews when we traded up 16 spots to land him, it was a glaring need after a vet left.

Plus you don't know the circumstances of other teams as well so..

And also, Quandre Diggs, top corner in the nation most likely next year, is brother of Quentin Jammer.. But Diggs looks all around better than his brother did at Texas..

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Have you completely missed the past 6 years of annual trade-ups resulting in talent black holes across the roster? Do you think trading up for Mathews was somehow a good idea?

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Well tbh, I don't think we'll be finishing 13-3 in 2013 and picking 28th.. so, this will most likely be 5-10 spots max.. its a need, and if it results in you landing a franchise CB in Diggs or Roby I'm all for it, we need a cornerstone in the secondary with this young upcoming defense, and Cason isn't the answer.

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    We needed a RB in 2010, that turned out well. We needed a FB when we drafted Hester. We needed a safety in Weddle because Smith was a moron and picked Buster in the first. We needed a QB in 1998. Trading away first and second round picks (which is the cost when you move up 5-10 spots into the top 5-10 picks) is a guaranteed way to set your franchise back for years.

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I am normally against trading up, but there are cases where it works out. Getting Julio Jones seemed to work out for the Falcons, or Broncos trading up to get Damaryius Thomas. Granted, these are only 2 cases in 10+ trades in the last couple drafts, but i am just pointing out that it is not always bad and doesn't always result is killing the future of your franchise