1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 waiver period opens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 4, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    2013 waiver period opens

Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
    Getty Images
    It’s the day after the Super Bowl, which means that all teams can now release players.

For the 20 non-playoff teams, their rosters froze at the end of the regular season. Then, as each of the 10 non-Super Bowl teams lost in the postseason, their ability to cut players ended, too.

Finally, the Steelers can now officially waive running back Chris Rainey, whom the Steelers announced would be waived after a January arrest for domestic violence. (Rainey has since pleaded no contest to disorderly conduct.)

Some players have contracts with triggers tied to the start of the waiver period. Most notably, Eagles quarterback Mike Vick will have $3 million of his $15.5 million base salary become fully guaranteed on Thursday.

Of course, that won’t matter for the Eagles, for reasons we explained last week. Regardless, with the 2012 season now officially over, the 2013 offseason officially can begin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/04/2013-waiver-period-opens/

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Lions waste no time in parting ways with Titus Young

Posted by Evan Silva on February 4, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
    Getty Images
    Citing a team source, Tim Twentyman of DetroitLions.com reports that the Lions have waived wide receiver Titus Young.

The move is not the least bit surprising.

After falling out of favor due to “behavior and attitude” issues during the season — the final straw being Young’s intentional refusal to line up in the correct spot on Thanksgiving against the Packers — the 23-year-old wide receiver practically begged out of Detroit. In late January, Young took to Twitter to blast the Lions’ organization, essentially declare himself a future Hall of Famer, and threaten retirement if the offense didn’t get him the football more often.

Young is young and brimming with talent, and he’ll now be subject to the NFL’s waivers process. It will be interesting to see if a team claims him. Young’s 2013 base salary is scheduled to be $555,000.

His contract, which lasts through 2014, also includes an offseason workout bonus of $50,000 and a training-camp reporting bonus of $184,666.

So to take a flier on Young, the “risk” would be minimal.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ste-no-time-in-parting-ways-with-titus-young/

3. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    The risk to the locker room is too high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  5. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Objects In Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear...

Ratings:
    +295
    So you're saying that signing Titus is likely to bite us?

:D:D:D

6. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Some team will sign these guys for sure. I don't think the Chargers have a strong veteran type locker room that can keep these young guys in check.

I am waiting to see what the McCoy/Telescope philosophy is on players with a "troubled past".

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I hope they're more lenient on players who may have had a D.U.I. or more petty stuff like that (when I say petty I mean good kids who may have done something stupid)

As far as Rainey and Young go, both have recently done stupid things, have shown (bleep) attitudes in their short times in the NFL, and are known as locker room cancers. I'll pass on both

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Lions have told Stephen Peterman they’re cutting him

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 5, 2013, 1:48 PM EST
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images
    The Ravens aren’t finished partying yet, but the rest of the league is moving on with offseason business.
    The Lions have made a second cut already,parting ways with right guard Stephen Peterman, according to Dave Birkett of theDetroit Free Press. They released wide receiver Titus Young because he was a pain in the rear, but Peterman’s release was more about the wallet.
    The 31-year-old Peterman had started every game at right guard the last three seasons, but the Lions are looking to get younger and cheaper there.
    It could be the start of a makeover for a group that didn’t exactly help Matt Stafford last year. Right tackle Gosder Cherilus is a free agent, left tackle Jeff Backus turns 36 and they have last year’s first-rounder Riley Reiff waiting in the wings after spending last year as a reserve.
    Cutting Peterman keeps the Lions from paying a $500,000 roster bonus, and carves $3.2 million worth of salary cap space off the books for a team with many bigger deals to do.

9. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    He is getting up there but he also started every game the last three years. I would take a look at him.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Lions informed RE Kyle Vanden Bosch of his release.
    Vanden Bosch, 34, was carrying a $10.7 million cap hit into 2013, so this was an obvious move after he registered just 3.5 sacks in 2012. KVB has started all 16 games over each of the last two seasons, and has spent the last three seasons in Detroit. Experiencing somewhat of a career revival under DL coach Jim Washburn in Tennessee, Vanden Bosch signed a four-year deal with Detroit. Washburn has joined the Lions' staff for 2013.

11. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I'm really hoping Chris Gamble gets the axe this year for cap reasons from the Panthers. He's a guy who could reasonably brought in and start well for us.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Damn that was fast

Rams claimed Titus Young off waivers from the Lions.
    Coach Jeff Fisher and GM Les Snead strike again, and they have shown over their year-plus with the Rams that they're not afraid to take risks on bad character players. Many thought Young would pass through waivers unclaimed, but there was always the chance a team could swoop in and see if they can whip him into shape. There is little risk involved, as Young comes cheaply with two years left on his rookie contract. He'll step into a young Rams receiver corps, and he has a decent shot to enter 2013 as a starter on the outside.

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  15. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Four years of service is the dividing line for the players being released

Posted by Mike Florio on February 5, 2013, 6:06 PM EST

Now that the offseason finally has begun and rosters have unlocked and players can be released, there’s an important distinction that becomes relevant for the first time since late October.
    Any player who is released with less than four years of service must pass through waivers, with his current contract eligible to be claimed by any other team. Any player who is released with four or more years of service becomes an unrestricted free agent immediately, free to sign with any other team at any time.

For example, Lions receiver Titus Young went through waivers, and he was claimed by the Rams. Lions defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch, in contrast, will become a free agent. And he can now sign with the Rams, or anyone else he chooses to sign with.

As of the trade deadline, all players who are released must go through waivers, regardless of their years of experience.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...dividing-line-for-the-players-being-released/

17. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Man, they have so many checkered past guys in that locker room. Janoris Jenkins and Chris Givens teamed up for a suspension in 2012, now imagine Titus Young and them.

I don't know, Titus Young certainly has talent, but huge maturity issues. Be interesting to see if it pays off..

18. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,089
  19. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Just being repeated but hearing it from another mans perspective always is positive

CBS' Jason La Canfora says he would be "shocked" if the Chargers don't release LT Jared Gaither.
    The Bolts would take on a $6 million cap hit if they release Gaither, but he has been a bad teammate, and has refused to play when hurt. The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee said shortly after the season ended that Gaither would not be back because "he can't be." One Chargers veteran later said, "I can't even look [Gaither] in the eye."

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    So La Canfora just going off what Acee said a month or so ago?

I wouldn't be shocked if he's given a 2nd chance. I don't think its warranted what so ever but, I wouldn't be shocked. Taking on a $6M cap hit with only $8.7M to spend, would leave us with $2.7M. Which is nuts, unless Telesco is making major cuts to this team that will save us money, I just don't see it.

Chargers have more to gain by keeping Gaither, they don't have to take a huge cap hit, thanks to AJ's great handling on the contract, and if he decides he wants to play, which the ZBS might be a fit for his lazy ***, then it would only help the OL because we will draft a LOT, which means Gaither moves to ROT, which means bye-bye Clary!

21. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Eagles just released Demetress Bell, he's be a really good option as a swing OT, as he was very good in our new OL coaches' scheme before, and didn't fit what the eagles like to do. Knows Joey D and what he likes to do. Would be really good security going into the draft at LT.

22. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald suggests that the Dolphins might place RE Jared Odrick on the trade block.
    Odrick was drafted to play "five technique" in a 3-4 defense. The Dolphins are a 4-3 now, and Odrick lacks explosive ability requisite for 4-3 defensive ends. "He's not a fit for the scheme," Salguero writes. Odrick has cheap base salaries through 2014, is only 25 years old, and possesses an ideal skill set for the 3-4. He could likely bring back a second-day draft pick via trade

I would happily pay a 2nd for this

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    To play over who? We already have Liuget and Reyes, why give up a 2nd or 3rd for anther one?

25. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Depth, we don't have much, if anything behind Liuget and Reyes. You really believe Reyes and Liuget can and will stay healthy all season? I would rather spend a 3rd on Odrick knowing what he is than a 3rd on a player wonder what he could be.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    you don't pay a 2nd round pick for a back-up DE when your Oline has 0 starters on it. I'd take him for a 4th, as a 3rd rounder in this draft is a top 80 pick for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You said "I would happily pay a 2nd for this" , now your changing it to a 3rd? I wouldn't give up either pick when our OL is in the shape it is in and we are desperate for help in the secondary. DE depth is a need, but it is SOOO far down the priority list that to use a 2nd OR a 3rd would be ridiculous

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would even consider a conditional 4th that could be a 3rd in the 2014 draft. But no way I would give up a 3rd in this draft

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,725
    I'd probably give up a 4th. He's essentially a backup here, he has no chance of beating Reyes or Liuget, but he is an upgrade over Martin.

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Chargers NT Antonio Garay is a candidate for offseason release.
    Garay was a part-time player in 2012 and is due a prohibitive $5 million base salary next season. Beat writer Kevin Acee believes it would be "difficult to imagine" him being brought back. The Chargers can also save an additional $3 million by cutting FB Le’Ron McClain and TE Randy McMichael this offseason.