1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

2013 waiver period opens

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Feb 4, 2013.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  2. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    Dwight Freeney anyone?

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Nah. Not unless he comes really cheap.

I don't think we're going to take part in free agency this year, even as it comes to our own FAs. Not unless Rivers is willing to restructure and save us some cap space for the short term.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,454
    Nope........ I see us shedding weight this year, not adding to our cap burden. Fans looking for a quick fix will be disappointed.

5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Here's some wavers:

wavers 2.jpg

6. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I see
    Clary, Garay, Whitehurst, Bigby, McMichael. Gone

I was thinking English should be a goner but then after seeing we'd only save 400k or something like that I got to thinking, If we kept English it wouldn't put our back up against the wall to have to retain Phillips or Barnes. May not even have to force our hand to grab a early round pass rusher (Although I'm trying to talk myself out of the thought of wanting Dion Jordan in the 1st and then grabbing Dallas Thomas in the 2nd........... just gotta keep repeating Eric Fisher/Lane Johnson)

Spike I'd like to keep if he restructures his deal if not then Bye-Bye, 3 mil for a 36 year old part time play is non sense

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I can't believe that Whitehurst is on the roster for a salary that high. Get an UDFA QB on the roster or a 7th round pick and pay the guy basically nothing while you develop him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I agree on English, but I'd still keep at least Barnes, and I would still draft an OLB in the later rounds, 5-7, and get a UDFA you can develop or something as well.

Spikes I think will be 37 during the season, if he restructures, which would be awesome, we'd have to extend him as well, and we should plan on extending another 2 years, so he'll be 38 at the end of his contract year, and the cap hit on his last year shouldn't be too much in case of retirement or we want to cut him. Can't see anywhere else he'll get a deal til he's 38 and near $3M over those years, numbers would be great if they looked like this - 2013: 1.5M, 2014: 1.5M..

• Like Like x 1
  10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Bigby will stay thanks to the Brandon Taylor injury. But if we cut Gaither, Clary, Garay, Whitehurst, McMichael and English....no big losses...we will save nearly $12M. Taking our estimated cap number from $5.7M to a respectable $17.7M. And another $3M if we do cut Spikes, which I have mixed feelings about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Butler and Weddle need to step up. There's no reason to pay Spikes 3M to be on the field running slowly. Hire him as a coach for that much money and use the salary cap on someone who can play.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Cutting guys like Spikes isn't as simple as saving a few dollars for a guy who's not producing the way he used to. He is the on field leader of the defense, its a chemistry thing, and it will ruffle the feathers of some of the guys in the locker room I'm sure.

And the reality is we don't have a replacement for Spikes at this point. Its a problem that can wait until next year, where as O-line, CBs, and OLB are NOW problems.

13. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It's a problem that can wait until next year, assuming that spikes can play. I'd rather have Williams in there.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I hope Bigby is cut, I rather have Corey Lynch then Bigby, 1.) He'll be much cheaper 2.) He's somewhat of an upgrade 3.) He can play on ST's in case Taylor takes over mid-way.

But we still have guys like Bront Bird, Phillip Dillard, and Kyle Nelson who will be cut, that will be a bout $1M-$1.5 added as well. Then up in the air type guys in Sean Cattouse, Greg Gatson, Damik Scafe, Kevin Haslam, and Stephen Schilling.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    Yeah but you gotta assume we're going to fill out the roster, those minimum contracts will go to someone else if not them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Thats true, but guys that I mentioned, besides the ones that were here during camp (Scafe, etc.) will be dumped, like Dillard and others.