1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

2016 Mock Draft Thread

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by matilack, Jan 10, 2016.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    This may be short lived if we lose our team next week, but in the spirit of resentful boredom and voluntary denial I figured I'd throw out a four round mock now that I've done at least a little research.

3 - Joey Bosa (6'5 270, DE/OLB): A tough pick as we don't necessarily know who our DC is going to be, and if we continue with the 3-4 we don't know if we'll see a continuation of the dog **** ultra soft 2-4-5 formations we saw last year; but this is a simple case of taking the most productive defensive player in college football. A rotation of Ingram, Attaochu, Bosa, and maybe Emanuel (who I lost a lot of confidence in) sounds like a potentially potent pass rush.

35 - Will Fuller (6'0 185, WR): Taking a shot on a guy who I believe could be the next Antonio Brown. The kid is just playing at a difference speed than everyone else, he's that vertical threat we're desperately missing. I strongly suspect he will get first round buzz as we get closer to the draft, but as many are still uninformed of the situation I'm going to try and look like the smart guy who called it early.

66 - Tony Conner (6'1 210 S/CB): Will only fall this far because of the injury, but at this point I think you just have to jump. He's was used as sort of an extra LB at times but was at his best in coverage. He's big enough to cover TEs and fast enough to run with receivers, I think he has big upside.

99 - Evan Boehm (6'3 315 C): Probably our biggest need on the entire roster. Not joking at all when I say I'd wouldn't even waste a roster spot on Chris Watt in 2016. In fact if we don't sign a veteran C in FA I think it'd be pretty reckless on Telesco's part.

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    1. Joey Bosa/Jalen Ramsey - either or look to be day 1 impact rookies. I want a veteran OT in Free Agency..

2. Kenny Clark - He'll most likely go in latter half of the 1st round but he looks to be what we need in a stout run defender.

3. Christian Hackenberg - Completely unnecessary as far as present success goes. However he is the perfect QB to groom behind Rivers. The simulator is crazy though as I believe his freshman year hype will have him picked earlier.

4. Braxton Miller - BPA

3. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    after what ive been reading, and the players that will most likely fall out the first. thsi would be my mock.
    1. Jalen ramsey
    2.shaq lawson " apparently he's falling out of graces, he's being called so, hes slated in the second round to the giants"

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    As much as I love Jalen Ramsey's skill set, and overall athletiscm. Unless we trade back, I just can't see us taking a DB (Ramsey/Hargreaves) at 3. Not saying it can't/won't happen, I just don't see it. Because 0f the current situation this FO is in, my guess is they are going to try and find a game changer this year (Bosa etc..). Mike McCoy only has 1 year left to turn this around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i can see that happening, but i think it would be a mistake to take bosa, i dont think he would fit well with us,i mean i think we do trade back san fran will probably want to jump dallas. But i cant wait for draft day

6. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    If you are suggesting that Bosa can possibly turn into Bozo in a Chargers uniform and under the "care" of the current Chargers coaching staff / FO, then I strongly tend to agree with you ;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i just feel like if we draft him theyre gonna stand him up at 275 pounds, he should play with his hand in the dirt, i dont think bosa would be a safe pick with the coaching staff and ownership lol

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Free agency will be interesting. I expect us to sign a very good defensive lineman. We tried last year with Suh, who was the most dominant and consistent defensive lineman on the market last year. After Suh, there was nobody else really. This year there are a number of players who can come in and make an impact right away. I expect us to invest there.

Regarding the 3rd overall pick, I'm on board with Jalen Ramsey now. He will break the combine with his numbers. I prefer a trade back, but a DB unit containing Ramsey, Verrett, Flowers and Eric Berry will be best in the league next year.

Love Will Fuller for this offense by the way Mati, he might sneak into the 1st round though :cry:

9. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Free agency could easily cause the following mock to be significantly modified:

1/3: A'Shawn Robinson, 3-4 DE/NT, Alabama
    2/35: Kenny Clark, NT/3-4 DE, UCLA
    3/66: Spencer Drango, OG, Baylor
    4/??: Evan Boehm, C, Missouri
    6(SD)/??: Miles Killebrew, SS, Southern Utah
    6(MIN)/??: Drew Kaser, P, Texas A&M
    6C/??: Kolby Listenbee, WR, TCU
    7/??: Tanner McEvoy, FS, Wisconsin

The mock draft above includes a projected 6th round compensatory pick. Telesco has stated that he "knows" the team is getting a compensatory pick, but does not know in which round it will be. I observed two projections, each of which awarded one based upon the loss of Royal, one a 5th round pick and the other a 6th round pick. I used the 6th round compensatory pick model. It could just as easily be a 5th, a 7th or none at all, but it is not likely to be a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick.

We have only one starting caliber DL player, so that is easily the biggest weakness on the team and we can get pretty good value with Robinson. I agree with those that have opined that Bosa is a bad fit for us. Robinson and Clark would be starters on day one and could flip flop positions pretty easily. DL problems solved.

The next two picks assign proper value to OL positional needs. We aren't taking an OG or C in either rounds 1 or 2 in this particular draft unless we want to waste draft pick value. We could take an OT early (such as Stanley), but that is not as much of an immediate need as any of the positions I have us taking in rounds 1-4 where we are flat out lacking a quality starter.

Drango was projected last year as high as a first round player and I think he would be a steal in round 3. There are some medical questions, though. Boehm has been projected later in the draft, but, apparently like matilack, I can't believe those projections will hold. I think early round 4 is a safe place to get him. I think there is a good chance that Drango would beat out Franklin before the 2016 season was over and that Boehm would start on day one. Starting OL problems solved.

Killebrew's superior size, speed and ability would ultimately win out over the game Addae, who I would want the team to keep as a quality reserve (but also teach how to tackle properly).

Obviously, Kaser would replace Scifres. He is rated by most as the best college punter in the nation. I think there is some risk in waiting this long to take him (since the darn Vikings did so well this year), but there is an even greater chance that Killebrew won't be there at the beginning of round 6 (in which case the other 6th round picks just move up as they are all pushing maximum draft value by waiting as long as I am suggesting).

Listenbee is a lightning fast WR, who quietly excelled playing opposite Josh Doctson as a big play receiver that averaged 19.9 yards per reception. Doctson is more in the mold of a possession receiver like Allen and the two complemented each other nicely. With projected 4.36 speed, he would be an immediate deep threat for us, something we are lacking.

McEvoy is a 6'6", 230 pound FS that also has college experience at WR and QB. While I see Mager as the potential starter at FS, McEvoy's size is desirable for potential matchups against some of the big receiving TEs. The theory is that he is faster (projected 4.57) than they are and big enough not to get outmuscled or concede catches due to body position. Several sources have him as a round 7 or priority UDFA guy, but I think he will get drafted based upon some of his desirable unique qualities. I am hoping that we will be creative for once and take a guy like him that we can use as the emergency QB, a wild cat QB, as a goal line WR and as a big FS in certain situations.

Clearly, we have other needs as well, but I think the above mock makes a nice cut into the team's overall needs.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    If we could pull off that secondary (plus re-signing Patrick Robinson) I would be ecstatic.

Rumor is Mario Williams will be released this offseason too, not sure how much he'll cost but if we could reel him in, or a guy Olivier Vernon, it might be the perfect way to transition to a 4-3. Then put Liuget, Carrethers, and Philon in the middle.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Kansas City has a number of pending free agents and it will interesting to see if they decide to allocate all their money to one player or a number of key players, such as Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Sean Smith, etc. and they might extend Travis Kelce and Dontari Poe this off season seeing how they're pending free agents in 2017.

Hopefully Brandon Flowers can help lure Eric Berry out to the west coast, wherever we are.

But yeah, it will be interesting to see who shows interest in Mario Williams. The Bills defense was actually worse this year under Rex Ryan than last year under Jim Schwartz and Doug Marrone. Really depends what defense we are running, there is no official word that Pagano has ran out of contract or won't be back in 2016 so I assume we are sticking with him and will run the 3-4. Number of guys in the OLB/DE free agency class.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    If we take Robinson 3rd overall I'd mail it in with this team. He's not even close to a top 5 pick and I don't care how he would fill a need, that's terrible value.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I hate to do this so early but what the hell..

3. FS - Jalen Ramsey. Florida State. 6'1/201.
    35. WR - Will Fuller. Notre Dame. 6'0/184.
    66. DE - Chris Jones. Mississippi State. 6'5/300.
    99. C - Evan Boehm. Missouri. 6'3/320.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    You criticize my mock and then put this out there?!

You say Robinson is not value (notwithstanding that numerous sources (CBS, Drafttek, for example) rank him as a top 10 non-QB and at least one known media draft pundit's mock (Charlie Campbell's) besides my own has him going to us at #3), but you then want us to be the first team in 25 years (Browns 1991) to use a top 3 pick on a safety?!

No OL or DL players in the top 2 rounds?! Did you understand that you were doing a mock draft for the Chargers?! Did you see the Chargers play in 2015?!

Also, I don't see Fuller as value at #35. The guy I listed, Listenbee, is the same size as Fuller, even faster and does not have the issue with drops that Fuller has. I am not saying that his overall game is as good as Fuller's, but I think he is a way better value than Fuller is and perfectly serviceable for what we would need him to do (stretch the field) if we could get him in round 6 as I suggested, which frees up the round 2 pick to be used on a lineman.

Jones in round 3?! Jones is a bust candidate that never lived up to his hype coming into college. He is a classic underachiever. Usually when underachievers are given money, they underachieve even more. No way, not in round 3. He is the kind of player that if I considered him at all, it would be as a flier candidate in round 6 where the upside outweighs the bust potential, but not before. He can be some other team's problem.

Boehm is a good pick in round 4 (as I have now been suggesting for several weeks).

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    The good thing about Ramsey is he's a versatile S/CB like Eric Berry was. 3 is a tad high for a S, but if Bosa and Tunsil are gone and Nkemdiche is red flagged I could live with it.

You're smoking crack if you think Will Fuller is a 6th round pick. There's an Emmanuel Sanders/Antonio Brown flare to his game, worst case scenario he's Percy Harvin. 35 is an excellent value.

Just remember it's early in this process, unless you're LBC and you do this all year. Which I know you don't, because you spent the last 9 months bitching about Telesco.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think you missed my point about Fuller.

I said that I didn't think Fuller was good value at #35. I said that Listenbee is a better value as a 6th round pick than Fuller is as a second round pick.

Essentially, both WRs would fill a role that the team needs. While Fuller's overall game is better, I would still rather have a second round pick and Listenbee than a 6th round pick and Fuller. I don't see the difference in the two players as being that great, though Fuller is better.

Also, Listenbee played well alongside Doctson as a deep threat. If I had to pick a single collegiate player that most reminded me of Keenan Allen, it would be Doctson. That leads me to believe that there is a potentially good fit for Listenbee with Allen.

I agree with you that it is early in the process. There is much to come that will undoubtedly change my thoughts on the draft. I am a numbers guy, so I do look at the Combine results pretty carefully. That said, my first full 7 round mock without trades was posted in October, so I have been at this for a while.

For whatever reason, I have become more of a draftnik with each passing year since I moved to Texas--maybe it is that there is so much college football on all of the time in this part of the country that I get a chance to see more players play, especially Big 12 and SEC players. Who knows?

But bitching about Telesco is easy (a big target that says "hit me"), so there is extra time to study the college players.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    My bad on the Fuller thing, apologies.

Telesco reached on Fluker and Te'o, and he's whiffed on a couple FAs (although you could hardly blame him for trying), but his biggest mistake to date was falling for Melvin Gordon.

I admit I had Gordon in my top 5 on draft day (behind La'el Collins I might add!) because we kept hearing they were so dead set on taking a RB. But trading up for him was just so......amateur. I'm really hoping he learned a valuable lesson while he watched his prize pig stink up the joint this year. Telesco has now gone through enough bumps and brusies where I expect him to have learned his lesson.

By the way, his handling of Eric Weddle, despite you not agreeing with it, has made me respect him more. Weddle and his agent tried to bully a new deal out of Telesco.Co by using social media, and they didn't cave. We lost a good player, but now the next guy (possibly Keenan Allen) can't threaten to hold out and expect to get his way, it was a big boy move by TT and I respect that.

I'm going to see how he handles this offseason before I cast final judgment on him right now I'm leaning about 55-45 towards approving.

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    No worries on the Fuller thing. I could have been much clearer the first time around on that.

Regarding Gordon, he was the second best player on my list when it was our turn to draft him. So I overrated him as well.

As for Telesco, I have concerns about him "learning his lesson". He seems to make the same types of mistakes over and over again without learning from them. And, frankly, I don't want a GM for my team that has to "learn lessons". I want someone that already knows how to do the job.

I still think that the best time to have tried to re-sign Weddle was before he 2015 season when the team's leverage was greater. I think Telesco demonstrates the "cold shoulder" when he doesn't want to re-sign a player. He did this with Phillips, Mathews and now Weddle.

While none of us on this forum were flies on the wall in his office, it does not sound like he tried to re-sign Weddle. It sounds like he listened to a number and didn't counter or do anything to keep the negotiations alive because he never wanted to do so. He also negated the possibility of Weddle returning in his state of the team address.

Basic negotiation techniques call for emphasizing common ground, being positive toward the person with whom you are negotiating and not burning bridges while you try to find an agreement, even after the player leaves (in case he only signs a short contract with another team and might consider a return to the team later). Every step that Telesco took in that process was as wrong and backward as it gets and the team is going to lose Weddle because of it.

It would have been better to have re-signed Weddle instead of Flowers if we had to choose one of them and the numbers should have told us that. The differences in the positions involved favor a safety playing to an older age than a CB and Flowers never had the extra step to lose (a little slow for a CB all along).

By contrast, Weddle is actually pretty fast for a safety and had the better, more proven track record between the two players. (And I didn't recognize the Flowers issue at first either, but in retrospect I think I should have seen it because it was there to be seen.)

As for this year's draft, I am concerned that Telesco will again ignore the DL. Why the team continues to expose itself to our opponent's ground game by utilizing substandard DL players, which negates the effectiveness of our ball control offense, is a great mystery. It is as if nobody in the organization can comprehend the inverse relationship between the successful ground game of our opponents and our time of possession. :confused:

19. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'd love for some beef in the first 3 rounds. If we could go OT, DL & C that'd be good for me. I'd be happy with Tunsil, whichever DT we could get in round 2 (Bama's Reed or Allen would be great) then a C (Martin, Voltz) in round 3.

20. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'll be the first to admit, I hate us picking no. 3, the guy I really want fits better as a 4-3 DE and the top 4 other guys I really want project as top 10 at best

1: OT Laremy Tunsil, Ol Miss

2: OC Ryan Kelly, Alabama

3: WR Rashard Higgins, Col. St

4: NT Nile Lawrence-Stample, FSU

21. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm hoping a team in the top 8 or so is QB needy and wants to trade up, we'd be in a good place to make a deal then, could pick up some extra picks, then still get a decent player. How realistic that is we'll see I guess, but that's what I'd like to see

• Like Like x 2
  22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I don't mind it. If Tunsil is gone and Telesco doesn't want Bosa, I think anyone that wants Bosa will have to get ahead of the Cowboys at 4 (who will let Hardy walk). We could have an opportunity to slide back a couple spots (pick up a couple extra picks) and still take DeForest Buckner, Jalen Ramsey, Robert Nkemdiche, Shaq Lawson, A'Shawn Robinson, or even Laquon Treadwell. I do think the NFL is inundated with good WRs these days, and drafting one this high you'd better hope he's Dez Bryant, but it wouldn't be the worst pick in the top 10.

Bottom line, I think Telesco would have to give an amazing effort to F this up. I've been so sick of these 8-8/9-7 finishes, picking just out of range of the blue chips, this year we will get a shot at one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    If it was just off player and not value I'd take Jalen Ramsey and if risk wasn't a factor I'd take Nkemdiche, I think Buckner has a chance to be good in this league but I think Nkemdiche has a chance to be great

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Ideally, the only way we stay at #3 is if our top player is still on the board. The worst thing that could happen is our guy gets picked then we reach for the next best one.

If Tunsil & Bosa are gone by 3, I really hope we move down. if this was somehow the case then i guess the silver lining would be that it's a good place to trade down from as all QBs would still be on the board if someone else wants to come get one.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    The worst case scenario is Tunsil and Bosa go 1 and 2 (which I doubt), I think our chances of trading back in that situation are extremely slim. They'd have to love Jared Goff, and be really convinced that the Cowboys would take him as the heir to Romo, which I doubt.

In that situation I'd go....
    Nkemdiche
    Buckner
    Ramsey

Just because of positional value. I do really like Ramsey as a S, I just think building our DL is a bigger priority. If we could land a Wilkerson or Jackson in FA, then Ramsey moves up the list.

Really It'd be a dream to land both Wilkerson and my homeboy Damon Harrison. I like Carrethers, but Harrison is a dominant 2 gap NT. In that case we definitely stick to the 3-4.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  26. Moses

Ratings:
    +358
    Not a bad solution, effectively stealing half of the Jets DL, would certainly be an upgrade.

If we were switching to a 4-3 defense, adding Bosa and then chasing someone like Wilkerson, Harrison or Mario Williams could help us instantly put out a good DL, with Liuget and someone else to round out the line.

27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    Chargers only Mock 1.0

Round 1. (#7) Trade with San Francisco 49ers. - Ronnie Stanley LOT/ Notre Dame **We get their 2nd and 4th this year and first next year***

Round 2. (#35) Jarran Reed DT/Alabama

Round 2. (#37 from SF) Will Fuller WR/Notre Dame

Round 3. (#66) Max Tuerk C/ USC

Round 4. (#103) Demarcus Ayers WR/ Houston

Round 4. (#106 from SF) Jalen Mills S/LSU

Round 5. (#175 Compensatory) Vi Telafilo OG/ Arizona St

Round 6. (#182) Bryce Albright OLB/Miami-OH

Round 6. (#218 Compensatory) Ronald Blair DE/Appalachian St

Round 7. (#222) Matt Judon OLB/Grand Valley St

:abq1::abq2:

28. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i like that draft, pretty solid

• Like Like x 1
  29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Good draft but by most reports Stanley is a reach in the Top 10. Buckner or Ramsey and sorting out the Center and LT positions in free agency is what I'd do.

30. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    While I tend to agree with Stanley as a reach at #7, the only reason I put him there is Tunsil, Ramsey, and Bosa, will likely be gone at that point. I actually have Stanley around the #10-15 spot. However, Stanley will come in as a day 1 starter at RT, sliding over to LT when Dunlap is gone. If Ramsey is still there at #7 we take him hands down.