1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

3-1, Good Start - Lets Not Jump the Gun

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Oct 3, 2011.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Its really gonna do us good that we started off 3-1.. If you look at our schedule coming up its a tough road ahead.. But i am hoping for that November/(mostly) December magic..

@Denver
    Bye
    @NYJ
    @KC
    Green Bay
    Oakland
    @Chicago
    Denver
    @Jax
    Buffalo
    Baltimore
    @Detriot
    @Oakland

So looking at this schedule all in all, alot is going to change from today to when these games are being played, hopefully we can get some guys back for the crucial ones.. the last 3 games im in fear of at the moment.. I really hope we don't end up going 0-3 or something at the end of the year..

NYJ and the Green Bay game will test our skill, it will really determine whether were and elite team or not.. I'm looking forward to those games as well as the end of the year against Baltimore and Detriot.. But yes i know its still too early, just some of my thoughts

What do you guys think? Should we be worried or relaxed?

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +519
    well, the Chargers are tied for the best record in the conference, if this is the usual "slow start" then great, hopefully they'll play better as the season goes along and earn a bye for the playoffs

3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +226
    I think we should be optimistically confident - we're winning the type of games we used to lose, and we haven't even come close to playing our best football yet. Ryan Mathews is starting to look like a difference make, and a credible running game will make Rivers much more dangerous, especially when opponents start biting on play action.

I would really like for the Bolts to have already locked up the division, and be playing our reserves with nothing riding on the results of the game at Oakland in Week 17.

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    I see us at 5-2 going into a HUGE game @ home against Green Bay.

5. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,243
    I am not overly concerned about the Jets. They do not appear to 'be all that' this season.

Raiders will play us tough, they always do.

Buffalo is going to be interesting.

Ravens D is impressive, their O soso.

Greenbay, baring injury will be a tough nut to crack.

Detroit... They are one I cant quite figure. They are not paper lions (forgive the pun), their D line is really good. I think this may be the 2nd toughest team we will face behind Greenbay.

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I agree. Yesterday was by far our most complete game of the season. The only issue really was the failure to score TDs, but that's correctable. Of the 4 drives that ended in FGs instead of TDs, 2 of the 4 ended because of boneheaded plays, Clary's penalty being one and Tolbert's dropped pass on 3rd down being another. And then there was the FG just before the half, where the offense simply ran out of time.

Yesterday's score could have been much more lopsided.

Despite a huge number of injuries, the D only allowed one TD, and I still don't understand why that one was called a TD. The ball never crossed the plane of the goal line.

7. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    Beat them Broncos!

Worry about the rest of it later.

• Like Like x 5
  8. DDFBOLT83

DDFBOLT83 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Im just taking 1 game at a time with this team right now....

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Its hard to judge this team with Rivers not playing his best, and given we lost to the only halfway decent team we've played.

10. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    To the above comments, I know I am the same too, I'd like to take it one game at a time, but when you go look at the schedule you can't do much but think possibilities..

Some very interesting thoughts.. I believe Rivers did look a bit more calmer in the pocket even though he scrambled for some good yardage.. Mathews has just been a beast lately as well.. and boltssbbound i totally agree with you, easily could have been a TD on that stupid Clary penalty and that drop by Tolbert could have been a score possibly as well.. easily could of been 34-16..

11. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    the next game is the game we need to worry about the most. nuff said.

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Not me. Unlike you guys I'm taking it 4 games at a time, and thats how I recommend the players do it!:whistling:

13. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Yes, let's prepare for Green Bay when we still have to go on the road to Denver, New York and Kansas City. That makes a LOT of sense.

In other news, it's a great start and I'm cautiously confident that we can enter the Green Bay game at 6-1. I'm telling you we have a different type of swagger this year, a confidence and toughness unseen before in my (short) days as a fan. Green Bay is our definite litmus test of the schedule, they are arguably the best team in the league (at least after 4 games) and are (obviously) the reigning champions. Looking further into the schedule (ha ha, like my wording there?) there are a lot of question mark games.

@ Chicago is worrying simply because I feel that a crappy, snowy Soldier Field may possibly slow us down and/or bring back the injury bug (PLEASE FOOTBALL GODS, SPARE US)

vs Buffalo is a game I feel can get away from us easily if we don't put them away. Fitzpatrick is an INCREDIBLY smart quarterback who can manage the game with that alone. He isn't the most talented quarterback but he does understand how to make a read.

vs Baltimore could go either way considering that Joe Flacco is a water faucet this year (inconsistent.) If we see some late season magic, I believe we'll rise to the occasion. That Baltimore defense is ALWAYS scary, could make for a LONG day for Rivers if Ngata gets off.

@Detroit is the game that worries me the most. This Detroit team is RED hot right now, by this time Nick Fairley will be plenty healthy and that d-line will be absolutely monstrous. Remember what Kyle Vanden Bosch did with Haynesworth in Tennessee? Think about with Fairley and Suh.

All in all, I honestly feel like we can finish 13-3. Optimistic? Sure? Unrealistic? Absolutely not.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    He's got a point. 4 games doesn't sound that bad...

15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Winning big is not necessarily a sign of future success either. Look at some results from last year:

week 2
    Chargers win 38-13
    week 3
    loss to seahawks

week 4
    Chargers win 41-10
    week 5, 6, 7
    losses to Raiders, Rams and Pats

Week 11
    Chargers win 35-14
    Week 12
    Chargers win 36-14
    Week 13
    Chargers lose to Raiders

Week 14
    Chargers win 31-0
    Week 15
    Chargers win 34-7
    Week 16
    Chargers lose to Bengals

The Chargers had 6 blowout victories last year, and that was not a sign of anything but how incredibly inconsistent they played all year.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Nice stats.. never looked at that.
    If you look back also, this is how the Colts won their championship. Ugly wins no flashy offense.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Let me just be clear here.....YOU...are not preparing for anything.

I'm just poking fun at the people who say "I'm taking it one game at a time"....as if it matters. I find it funny when people seem to think they affect what happens on the field. :D

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    From what I've been reading here, overly optimistic is not a widely shared sentiment.

I suppose what we say here affects the team about as much as what we say about potential draft picks though. :rolleyes:

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,773
    Well at least we can all handle ourselves with class when someone else disagrees on a player, huh:whistling:.........not to name any names.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    Chargers will beat Greenbay.

You heard it here first.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    We need to beat a quality team. Green Bay would be perfect.

22. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,243
    While I understand the statement, I see it as it is as 'rah-rah' as Jackson saying the Raiders are going to win the west.

You beat who is put in front of you. You take the wins you can get. Do you think Patriots will worry aboput losing to the Bills if they go 14-2? I dont.

But that said, I think the Chargers will be the Packers. Actually, from what I saw this morning Warren Sapp and Marshall Faulk do to.

23. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    Gotcha. Nonetheless I'd hope that our players can maintain the mentality of focus on what's in front of you.

24. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    I'm pretty sure that when I switched TV's in week 1 vs. the Vikings, it made us come back to win the game. :)

• Like Like x 4
  25. Nutz&Boltz

Nutz&Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Spoken like a true fan!

26. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I See San Diego 6-1 Going into the game against Green Bay.. Call me Crazy but Im confident in this team, I think if Phillip Plays like he did Sunday and the Defense plays well and Larry English and Takeo can play well like they did Sunday and Weddle can keep getting game sealing interceptions like so in back to back weeks I think San Diego will be good.. Super Chargers

27. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +516
    So what you're saying is if San Diego plays well, then San Diego will be good?
    I must concur...your logic is spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +279
    "Optimism is essential to achievement and it is also the foundation to courage and true progress." - Nicholas Murray Butler

29. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +242
    I didn't catch the game but from the few series I watched on NFL.com I picked up that....

R.M is a good R.B and is getting better each game.

Defense seems to play better with more blitz than covers.

Red Zone problems MUST be fixed for us to go further this season. You can't leave a TD on the feild against G.B or Balt or even the Raiders.

Hopefully the team will be excited about the start but focused enough to not overlook the Broncos. To my astonishment Norv has kept the team focused two weeks in a row against inferior teams(something he didn't do last year)

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Name any names you want, sonny.

Class begets class .... my problem with you isn't over a player. It's over the fact that you told me personally that my take didn't matter, even though I had seen Thomas numerous times in person. It started again when you continued to be a jerk to 909 after he attempted to make peace.

I'll continue to treat you like the arrogant punk you are. You don't like it, put me on ignore or stop acting like a know-it-all prick.