1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

4-2, heading for....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Ok, so if you look at it small things piled up to prevent the team from being 6-0 right now.

The Patriots did not 'over power' us. Untimely interceptions and broken plays on D let that one slip away. The Jets, well lets give a big assist to the officials, and to Rivers.

PR has not been PR this season. His 2 minute offense was perhaps the worst I have seen in a long time. But the fact is it should not have come down to a 2 minute drill with 1:49 left. 95 penalty yards, including what, 6 neutral zone infractions? Fargh!!!

The Chargers head into KC before coming home to face Green Bay. A few weeks ago I said we would beat GB, now I am not sure we will beat KC. My expectations for this team have evaporated. I would not be surprised to see them miss the playoffs.

So at the halfway mark will they be 4-4, 5-3, or 6-2?

The homer in me says 5-3, but I worry about 4-4.

4-4 is my prediction.

Why?
    The Defense is not getting consistent pressure on the QB. Look what happened yesterday, pressure on Sanchez and the D got two ints. One was a pick 6. Cason is a burnt slice of bacon out there, charcoal really. He did not play well at all and is a liability to the D. He got juked out of his jock on a simple wiggle move.

When did our Line Backing corps become so slow?! I know Spikes is a 14 season veteran but he looked SLOW! The tortoise would have won the race against him. Outside line backers, did they make a play? If it was not for Shaun Phillips, the OLBs would be unaccounted for. I am just about to the point to say we need to go 4-3, and stop trying to rely on old LBs to control the field.

The Offense. I love Rivers, but he is officially costing us games. The O is not clicking for 60 minutes. First half against the Jets I thought they ‘were back’, second half and I though John Friesz was back. Vincent Jackson continues to be covered deep, and Gates on one foot made the wide outs look bad. Ryan Mathews continues to work hard as does Mike Tolbert. But the time for work, and putting things together is past. The Chargers need to play together, and get the job done, which on O, they have not done for 60 minutes yet this season.

When I see the players making plays but the team losing I will look at Coaching. That has not happened yet this season.

What do you say our record will be and why (please no mindless ‘Norv’ drivle… Lets look beyond speculation about play calling.)

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    One word: Execution. You can't make mistakes with an 11 point lead. We need a confidence game and I don't see that happening any time soon.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    So 4-4?

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I sure hope not. My road trip to KC next weekend will be much less enjoyable, and the 8 hour drive home will really suck

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    With Rivers playing as he has, and the Raiders giving up 6 ints... I am very concerned about Sunday's games...

Color me chicken little if you will...

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I think it bugs me more that I have $100 on the line with my brothers girlfriend, since she is a KC fan

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    6 and 2

we beat KC, and beat Green Bay. Green Bay is coming off a bye week and those bye weeks are proving to be brutal. We beat KC because the players turn this around as we get some leadership that we are lacking from within the locker room.

and THE RAIDERS SUCK!

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    4-2, heading for.... Andrew Luck

9. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +492
    Okay, I will refrain from the 'Norv' drivel. But I must ask, can you see how it can be difficult for a player to "make a play" when said players are out of position? One example from yesterday's game (I have more, just ask but I figure I could attempt to defend my siggy on this one also) The 3rd TD by Burress where Cason took the entire blame and was subsequently benched. The commentators mentioned it and I was thinking this when it happened: Cason went to the outside to cover the corner of endzone and Burress broke inside...where there was nobody...no safety at all, they had moved up to both cover the goal line and appeared to both be spying on dirty Sanchez. Yes, I know it was Cason covering him but it did appear like he was expecting some help on the inside. My point is, the safeties appeared to both be "out of position" so it can be difficult for a defense to "make a play" when the personnel is in the wrong spot which leads to bad angles which leads to open receivers which leads to Burress handing his wife a third football in the stands.
    So players could not "make plays" if coaching has them in the wrong set, then team=losing.
    But to answer your question,
    6-2. If it can be fixed it better be fixed. We saw how it can be fixed last night when the Saints did not "let off the gas".
    Let's try some of that.
    :chiefssuck:
    :raiderssuck:
    p.s. A play where players were "making plays" was the stop on dirty Sanchez's first down run. He was short. Our guys made "a play" and yet someone didn't throw the challenge flag. Is this what you meant by "making plays and losing"? Maybe I'm not understanding?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Who was out of position? Why were they out of position? I see you feel both safetys were out of position because Cason played off again on the third TD, but was he supposed to go deep inside? You are speculating that Cason was in the correct position, and that would have been the first time of the day, correct?

Props on protecting your boy! However, Cason played off and took bad angles all day long. If he was expecting cover, based on his play thus far this season, I would be more willing to say that he was the one out of position than to say that other players who have actually made plays this season were... Speculation on both our parts, I know.

See above.

Again, does the coaching have them in the wrong position? Did the players move to a position to try and make a play? Was the Safeties in the correct location based on the play called? Was the play called one that gave Cason a safety blanket? You seem to go with the coaching aspect, but what is there to lock that down? Again. Cason's play all game long makes me look to him in this case. We can agree to disagree, because I cant think any of us will ever know for sure.

Good call. I hope you can rub my face in it if your prove right and I prove wrong.

The challenge cannot happen after the markers are moved. It is not that the flag was not thrown, the flag could not have been thrown without incurring a personal foul on the San Diego bench.

The Referee ran in, ignored his lineman and signaled the first down. I did not see him rotate his arm for moving the markers, but before the challenge could be made the markers were moved. As you used the commentators as evidence above, I will use them now. They even clarified this that the flag could not be thrown because the markers were moved.

11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    With all the problems that we do have just look around the division.... broncos clearly rebuilding, oakland doesnt appear to be the same team without campbell, and KC minus charles and eric berry has no business winning the division... Rivers is bound to come around at some point hopefully sooner then later.. but worse case scenario 4-4 i still think we have the inside track on winning this division.. dont forget we dont even get hot until november/decemeber so 4-4 5-3 at the midway point isnt too shabby when 9-10 wins is gonna win this division

12. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    I don't think we shouold just be focused on winning the division. What does that mean? The last two teams too win this division went one and done.

13. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +174
    and the last team to get the first round bye lost first game

14. NORV4LIFE

Ratings:
    +58
    exactly

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    I feel you on Norvember and December... But I dont want to rely on that. In the past, Rivers with 1:49 I would have said we had the game won... We are no longer in the past. The Chargers have to remember how to win...

16. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Nah, we'll lose to KC, but end Green Bay's perfect season.

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    me thinks that shot went right over his head

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I'm still going with my 1 loss max per quarter. 7-1 post Raiders

19. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    It seems less likely to me that both safeties were out of position and more likely that Cason got the coverage wrong. Cason got toasted 3 times. I will concede that the coaches should have given him some help, hell they should have put Jam on Plax after the first TD. But in no way do I believe that Cason was supposed to drop back into zone coverage on that play.

20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Concerned Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +214
    I think we’ll “nut up” & take care of business in KC – it’s too much of an opportunity to put a little distance between ourselves & the rest of the division, especially with games against Oakland & Denver coming in the next month – that, and Philip has yet to throw even 3 picks in game (although the way he’s been playing lately, that could happen real soon) but no way do we give the Chiefs 6 of them.

Kansas City may have won that game, but their offense only scored 14 points and their defense gave them 14 as well, with the 2 pick-sixes. They can be proud of shutting the Raiders out though, that’s hard to do to any NFL team.

As for the Green Bay game, I’m glad it’s at Qualcomm. We’ve yet to see a complete game from this Chargers team and if this is the week that they choose to do it (no chance of them “overlooking” the Pack) it could be a very competitive game, and possibly even a San Diego win. When we play like we can, we can hang with and in most cases beat any team in the league – the big problem is, this year we’ve only played about 30 minutes of good football, in each 60 minute game!

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Hall of Fame

Ratings:
    +220
    4-4 with 9-7 to end it.