1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

#49 on the clock

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Apr 26, 2012.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Ok all from what I know, and tapes I have seen Ingram I think was arguably the steal of the first round. (DeCastro to the Steelers being the other).

Now that the first round is over. Who do the Chargers go with @ #49?? Don't give me positions. We need names folks. I want to hear who you think we will go with at #49, and why!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Cordy Glenn or Silatolu. Im not expert at wehre to find the best Olinemen, but I like both these guys and both are probably 2nd round picks. Also I like to see us take a chance on our replacement SS in the 4th or later. So a OG/RT here wouldnt be much of a reach with a 3rd round pick to do whatever with.

3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    not trying to cause a big debate over character because i know people dont agree with me but id like to see janoris jenkins at 49 for us

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354
    Never know. I mean we never make a big splash in FA. We Did. Always seem to trade up, or reach for a guy that most wouldn't. We didn't. Maybe AJ being on the hot seat will make him look at talent rather than character. Definitely not likely by any means, but I am not ruling anything out this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    yeah same im so excited about this year and whats still to come via the draft... the old AJ woulda took harrison smith at 18 instead of the more talented ingram who fell into our laps

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Depending on availability I'm expecting one of the following:
    Trumaine Johnson CB/S (Montana) - Yes, I know folks are going to say "Montana?! Screw that! We want big program players!" but this is what you get when the safety class is this shallow. The guy has the build and the athleticism to flourish at safety with some seasoning. That said... I actually rate him a little bit lower than most draftniks (I feel like you have to account for the jump in level of competition even if Montana is habitually the top program in D-1AA) at a high 3rd. It's a reach, but an understandable one given the need on our roster.

Markelle Martin S (Oklahoma State) - My preference if we're going to draft a safety with this pick; doesn't have the upside of Johnson but again... higher floor and more immediate a contributor. I've got a late 2nd/Early 3rd grade on him (if we were to assume this was a normally evenly-weighted safety class). Smart, cerebral, thickly-built, I've got him as equal parts Danieal Manning and Jairus Byrd (that kind of tweener FS/SS that seems so adept in our schemes). He is the safety in this draft I think best compliments Weddle in terms of also filling what our scheme has demanded of the duties of each safety.

Stephen Hill WR (Georgia Tech) - I doubt he lasts, but if he does this could be the kind of value pick that AJ and Norv may not be able to resist - particularly if they do opt to want to project they're confident they'll be around longer than just a year. The comparisons between Hill and Vincent Jackson in terms of where they are as prospects is kind of eery. I'm not convinced Hill's another VJ - in fact I think he's a bit more Floyd than VJ - and while this is probably my lowest percentage pick because of low likelihood of availability and arguable "need," it's one that also wouldn't leave me wide-eyed.

Dwayne Allen TE (Clemson) - Most likely offensive pick I'd wager. Do we presently have a lot of TE's on the roster? Yes. But on closer inspection every single one of them other than Gates is on a one-year contract and none of the guys below Gates and McMichael have shown enough to persuade the team to not offer the aging McMike another one-year deal. With Fleener falling this far, Allen's a virtual lock to be available in the mid-2nd and while he's not flashy, he's consistent and the most complete TE at the top of this class (again, some ceiling sacrificed for floor, but this guy's an Alge Crumpler - who was no slouch in the least in his prime - clone).

Brandon Thompson NT (Clemson) - This is more "hope" than "expect" from me, but he's serious value and stellar run-plug with pass-rush upside, adept at taking double-teams already... and it is a bit suspect that both of our current NT options only have one year remaining on their deals (i.e. don't expect both to be back with us on the 2013 roster). I doubt we go DL this early, but it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Peter Konz C (Wisconsin)/Cordy Glenn G/T (Georgia)/Bobby Massie T/G (Ole Miss) - I still don't think OL is very likely in the 2nd because this is still AJ we're talking about. That said, we've seen AJ do something we haven't in a long time which is take the BPA. So it stands to reason that if the value is high enough he might shy away from prior practices. What I don't expect him to break from in trends is where he drafts his OL from (we've exclusively drafted from the Big 10, Big XII, and SEC for our OL - that's it), so I'm less likely to believe that a guy like Silatolu is that high on our board. And I don't rate Osemele this highly (I've got him as a mid-to-late 3rd because I have serious concerns about his weight, his effort, and how dedicated he actually is to the game - I can't help but see Olivea and Fonuti in him).

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    It WILL be LaMichael James

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Chris Rainey > Lamichael James IMO not to metion you could probably get Rainey a round or 2 later then what its gonna cost to get lamichael

9. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    My top 2nd round players...

OLB/DE - Courtney Upshaw - No doubt OLB is not a huge need right now, but there is no way in hell I'd let him pass us no matter who is left on the board. Phillips, Barnes, and LaBoy are all UFAs next year, and I don't believe English will ever pan out. So I would happy with an Ingram, Johnson, Upshaw LB corps...very Pittsburgh of us.
    OT - Bobby Massie - Wont fall to us, and if he does I doubt AJ pulls the trigger and replaces Clary.
    ILB - Lavonte David - Wont fall to us.
    OG - Cordy Glenn - Wont fall to us.
    OG - Amini Silatolu - Probably wont fall to us either, but all these guys are trade forward possibilities.
    NT - Alameda Ta'amu - Massive big body NT, not a desperate need, but we can't just give Cam the job IMO.
    WR - Alshon Jeffery - AJ loves his big WRs, and Floyd is a UFA next year.
    ILB - Mychal Kendricks - Another capable coverage ILB prospect.
    RB - Lamar Miller - A more than acceptable backup for RM, probably overkill actually.
    TE - Dwayne Allen - Wouldn't mind this pick, but it seems like AJ doesn't want to go TE this year.
    CB - Josh Robinson - 40 time aside, I think he does a good job turning and running with receivers.
    SS - Brandon Taylor - My 3rd rated SS, but 49 is a tad early.
    CB - Janoris Jenkins - No comment, just draft, wait, and pray.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Im going to say

SS Antonio Allen

He a solid Tackler, great run defender, his specialty at SC was blanket covering tight ends, I think not getting Smith and Barron hurt Aj so he will make sure not to miss again, although I feel we can get him in the 3rd

TE Dwayne Allen

I think not being able to grab a Safety opens up their draft plans in day 2 McMicheal and Gates are getting up there in age and although both are good for this year next year may be a different story. Allen is a solid pass catcher and chain mover which the Chargers are looking for.

I think Dwayne Allen 2nd, Antonio Allen 3rd

If OT Bobby Massie or Mike Adams are there for some reason you'd be foolish not to grab one of them

Alshon Jeffrey WR

CB Trumaine Johnson or Brandon Boykin

11. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    i agree TE needs to be upgraded but nobody has mentioned ladarius green.. i know hes not much of a blocker but this guy could be the next jimmy graham.. he could be there for us in the 3rd

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I won't touch Mike Adams till the 4th at the earliest. Again... when players whose intellect gives you no reason to question their smarts still consistently do stupid stuff there's a MAJOR cause for pause and questioning. Adams is entering the league with a strike against him already on the League substance Abuse policy because he tested positive for the ganj at the combine (yes, they're counting that now). So any substance abuse related incident any point in his career from here on forward earns an automatic suspension of form or another. This on the heels of him also being involved in the tOSU tattoo incident, I want no part of the guy - and he's not even that good to begin with (I question how much tape people have actually watch of him because he's a pass-blocking liability).

Also, I realize Washington was a crap program that didn't get a lot of TV, but have people actually watched Ta'amu play? Or are they just assuming that because he looks the part of a NT that he must fit the profile. He's a penetrator not a run-stuffer; when the guy gets double-teamed he's playing on skates and gets pushed backward so much. The guy is another Stephen Paea, Mike Patterson type... all burst and no anchor. You want a run-stuffer with a great anchor you look to guys like Brandon Thompson, Josh Chapman, and Hebron Fangupo (even though he's a bit older than some might like - though DT's do have longer lifespans in the league).

13. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Doubt he's there at our natural pick in the 3rd. His stock's been building, Orson Charles' arrest has his falling, and there isn't a lot of depth to this class - so when Fleener and Allen go, Green will follow pretty shortly after (wouldn't shock me if a team like the Falcons grabbed him in the 2nd because they have the luxury of having Gonzo on the roster for at least another two seasons and don't need to rush Green into action).

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    I figure if AJ wanted to force feed Liuget into an unnatural role he might do it with Ta'amu too. Plus there is the chance Pagano runs more of a Wade Phillips style 3-4. Thompson is a good fit, I just forgot to put him on my list, I would be very happy with him @49.

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Thompson's getting underrated like Mebane was as a prospect (someone remind me how he's turned out as a pro - though he's still pretty criminally underrated as a pro!), though he reminds me more of a better version of Sione Pouha or even Terrance Knighton.

And if Pagano runs a Burroughs-Phillips we don't need to draft an NT, would be better to get another 5-Tech (Derek Wolfe - though there are guys on that are of as good a value) and just run with Martin as a NG. Burroughs-Phillips scheme makes Cam Thomas not nearly as useful, though... just my opinion.

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm thinking if Allen is still there he's the pick. I like Green but 49 is too high & his stock is rising where he probably won't be around by our 3rd (I'd really like him with our 4th). Defense is a priority but Allen could well be BPA at 49.

Maybe Josh Chapman although I'd prefer him in the 3rd. I like Reyes quite a bit too.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    You mean Dwayne do you Buck, the TE?.

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Correct.

19. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,229
    I would not mind seeing another LB. Rebuild that part of the D because it got old and slow quick!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    CamNCorey.jpg
    Speaking of Cam Thomas (and Corey Liuget), here is both of them at the Charger Draft Party at the Q yesterday. By the way, both of them were on the Whitney Mercilus bandwagon before our pick. Corey looked worried as soon as Melvin Ingram was picked. I think he knows the guy will play OLB for us but may take snaps from him in our sub 4 man fronts. Also, Le'ron Mclain was there. Dude looks in great condition and seemed to be a really likeable guy. Think he will be a fan favorite.

• Like Like x 2
  21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    McClain already is a fan favorite.

I forgot last night was gonna put massie in the Oline list. I like Silatolu based on his measurables. I havent watched him play, so if he is a player that is likely to take plays off or dissapear mid game yea ill rather go Cordy who wont make it to 49 imo. Guess its Massie.

I think Oline in the second is the more valuable pick. IMO we can find a servicable TE in the 4th or later.

22. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    You thinking another OLB? or IlB this time

Also I would like to point out some good news "The Union-Tribune San Diego's Kevin Acee suggests OLB Travis LaBoy could lose his roster spot after the Chargers drafted Melvin Ingram in the first round."

They're supposedly trying to trade him for a 7th round pick:)

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Top picks

1. Cordy Glenn OL Georgia (RG/RT, doesn't matter, he's an upgrade)
    2. Trumaine Johnson DB Montana (He could be a very good SS who can absolutely cover)
    3. Brandon Thompson NT Clemson (Better than Poe in my opinion)
    4. Dwayne Allen TE Clemson (Most complete TE on the board)
    5. Kendall Reyes DE UConn (Think he'd be an outstanding 3-4 DE)
    6. Peter Konz OL Wisconsin/Bobbie Massie OT Mississippi (Doesn't matter which, either upgrades our line again)
    7. Brandon Taylor SS LSU (Agree better in third but if no one else available)

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Also Don't expect to see a Safety until 3rd, or 4th per Acee.

He also said we're going to probably draft one but also sign another FA at Safety

25. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475
    I would love to draft James Hanna in the 4th and let him learn from Gates and McMichael for a year. Big what if, but what if Courtney Upshaw drops all the way to 49, do we take him? Cordy Glenn? Take Brandon Taylor early? Janoris Jenkins?

26. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837

Would love to see us grab Upshaw...............................................but it likely wouldn't happen

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    Yea I beleive I heard this morning that Upshaw is gone in the next 5 picks, and lookin at the teams yea one of them is takin a 3-4 OLB.

Colts look to take Coby.

Then its Ravens, Broncos, Browns, Jags. Upshaw is a goner.

28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +294
    IMO Cordy will take a miracle slide to get to 49. Now NFLn has Casserly on there blabbin away about how he has the balance to play LT but would fit the NFL better at RT and goes on to say he also plays well at G.

That kind of versatility doesnt fall far, bet.

At least he likes Silatolu, and almost has me reconvinced he could work for us.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Supposedly the report is that Martin & Glenn slid down the boards because even though they are proven, there is the suggestion that they are 'soft'. I didn't see soft with Glenn, at times I saw passive (not a glass eater) but I never saw soft. If he does fall down to 49, that would be a huge coup for the Chargers, he's a better guard then vasquez and can be a very good RT.

Btw random thought, would anyone be willing to trade a second next year to the rams to acquire Trumaine Johnson?

30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Im thinking we'll see an early run on WR, O line, Upshaw to Baltimore would be a steal for them

Im thinking we go O line, D line or WR, TE doubt we see a RB today not sure if we see a CB either (with Gilchrist and Wright going to us 2,3 last year) any ILB worth taking?