1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

#49 on the clock

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,179
    How short are his arms. I hear Dumerville's who has "long arms" is less than an inch longer... He doesnt have midget arms...

2. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Im jsu sayin seen 2 diff sources that make me beleive that Iloka IS drafted in the second. I could also go for Taylor... funny both these guys are my third round cluster guys for SS. I really dont wanna take either at 49 at the cost of losing out on a GREAT olineman that can be a G this year and move to RT in the future or even possibly with Cordy could play well at LT.

3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    31 1/2 in.

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,179
    32 -inch arm length, Elvis Dumervil

I would say arm length is a non-factor, especially given his speed, catching ability and vertical jump height.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/profiles/melvin-ingram?id=2532870

6'1" Height
    • 31 1/2" Arm Length
    • 264LBS. Weight
    • 9 5/8" Hands
    Tho SI has him listed as 6' 1/2... or your just rounding up to 32 heh. I dont worry so much about his arm length or hands, he has caught 2 INTS already... And he is touted as hell as a player that can play 6 positions and play them all well.

WITH HIS TREX ARMS NO LESS!!

6. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    31.5"

By comparison:
    Dumerville - 33.25"
    Freeney - 33"
    Suggs - 32"
    Woodley - 32 7/8"
    Brandon Graham - 32.25"
    Trent Cole - 32.75"
    Wake - 32.5"
    Jared Allen - 32"

Not saying that the two are comparable, but it is possible with fleetness of foot, good burst, and tenacity to be an effective pass-rusher with short arms.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Anyone think we could still get Andre Branch or someone like that?

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
  9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Doesn't seem like AJ's style. I figure he's bound for either Miami, Atlanta, or Tennessee.

10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    Haha Im still bummed on not Vikings sneaking in and grabbing Smith, Happily take Ingram at 18 we didnt lose anything but now Im just sitting here wonder what the heck we're going to do since safety is a lost cause in this draft (maybe find a diamond in the rough) but Im just thinking BPA now

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    For the record, each of the last three years there have been two safeties drafted in the 5th round or later who pushed their way to starting status for the teams that drafted them by the end of their rookie season. It's not that unheard of and why - like with guards - unless you're getting an elite-caliber guy there isn't usually a huge demand early on for the middle of the pack guys at the position in a class.

12. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    How is the arm measurement done, exactly? As in, when they measure him, where are they measuring from and to, and how does he hold his arm when he's measured, and does he stand or sit?

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768

14. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    His arms get a lot longer when his speed/instincts are in your face.

Kendall Reyes is next &you'll like the results.

Fellas ;)

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    Typically two measurements are taken: One from the inside of the shoulder joint (extend your arm out laterally, palm forward, trace your fingers up your armpit till you find the joint) out to the tip of the longest (usually middle) finger; and one from the tip of the longest finger across the chest to the tip of the longest finger on the other hand (i.e. wingspan) and then subtracting for the width of the player's chest.

That's why the numbers are a bit hard to get in concrete form because some sites/scouts/teams/whatever place more value in one measurement over the other, and sometimes members of the media just take whichever measurement gives them the more juicy story (which is also why you see the media rounding up or down on measurements and some inconsistencies there as well).

16. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    I hope youre right

17. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    I'll be happy with that. That said, I've got either him or Still pegged to go to Indy with the 2nd pick of the round.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Amini Silatolu - OG - Midwestern State

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Then you approve my grading, right?

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Panthers trying to acquire third-round pick
    by Jeff Hawkins, CBSSports.com
    GM Marty Hurney did not attend Friday’s press conference introducing first-round pick LB Luke Kuechly to the media. He was busy in his Bank of America Stadium office, working the phones attempting to acquire a third-round pick, coach Ron Rivera said. In the second round, the Panthers pick at 40th overall.

21. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    "The Chargers could use another young lineman or linebacker. Maybe a strong safety or cornerback."

The beginning sentence to Gehlken's article Frankly as long as it was another OLB I'd welcome that, its obvious Laboy is the odd man out and no one is counting English to be productive either. Lets say they do draft another OLB we have him for 4 years cheaper than it would cost us to keep English

22. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Redskins' third-round targets: No. 1 -- CB
    by John Keim, CBSSports.com
    The Redskins need to find someone who can cover in the slot or, at the least, a young corner to develop. They’ll have a few options, especially if Vanderbilt’s Casey Hayward or Montana’s Trumaine Johnson (unexpectedly) fall. Louisiana-Lafayette’s Dwight Bentley and Virginia’s Chase Minnifield are options.
    1 hour agoCBSSports.com

[​IMG]
    Redskins' third-round targets: No. 2 -- OT
    Once again, the Redskins will need someone to fall but the fact that only two tackles were picked in the first round could lead some to slide. They’d have to be thrilled if Mississippi’s athletic Bobby Massie fell to them in the third. Donald Stephenson’s athleticism makes him a potential good fit.
    1 hour agoCBSSports.com
    [​IMG]
    Redskins' third-round targets: No. 3 -- RB
    The Redskins don’t have to draft one this high, but if Washington’s Chris Polk slips here, he would provide good value. Cincinnati’s Isaiah Pead is intriguing, too. Utah State’s Robert Turbin has visited Redskins Park, but he might be available in the fourth.

23. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +768
    What are you getting at sir?:tdown:

24. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Just noticing how similar their needs are to what we would like to be drafting in the third... Id like to get one of the 2 OL or DBs in the second and the other in the third, or RB in the third and the DB in the 4th.

EDIT:

At least they over looked Vandys Sean Richardson. Tho probably cuz they want a CB. Id take Sean in the 5th.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,601
    You forgot to mention James Harrison and Robert Mathis, who both have under 32" arms.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

In either case, hand length determines likely between 1/2 and 1&1/2 inches difference on a lot of players I imagine, which is totally irrelevant to his ability to avoid getting driven back.

27. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    Redskins' third-round targets: No. 5 -- S
    The Redskins have signed three safeties this offseason, but none are guaranteed starters. They need someone with speed who can cover deep. This is not a strong safety class, but South Carolina’s Anthony Allen (better covering TEs) or Boise State’s George Iloka are possibilities.

Ok so they also need a S ;/ Poor Washinton.

28. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Aint it a bitch? ;)

Kendall Reyes
    the best OL

I'll accept paypal for rounds 4-7

;)

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +292
    A rude welcome for Floyd
    by Craig Morgan, CBSSports.com
    Seahawks CB Richard Sherman faced WR Michael Floyd, Arizona's first-round pick, when Sherman was at Stanford and Floyd was at Notre Dame. Here's how Sherman welcomed Floyd to the NFL via Twitter: "I'm going to wear him out again. We play them 1st game stay tuned." Sherman said he dominated Floyd so thoroughly that Floyd's OC approached Sherman after the game "and said he had no answer for me."

This sounds like a game to watch in week 1. Lucky we got the late MNFer again and we can watch the Sunday games.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,600
    Passing thought on the arms length issue

Didn't he run into long armed tackles in the course of his career at South Carolina? It's not like English in the MAC - he competed against pro style offenses and top flight tackles throughout his career. I know he went against Cordy Glenn and beat him at least once. 10 sacks this year, 9 sacks the year before, he must've beaten some good players in his time. I mean hell he went up against Georgia, Florida, Auburn (this year he brutalized auburn including Brandon Moseley), Alabama (huge in a game last year where they nearly upset the undefeated tide), etc. If short arms were such a big deal, how was he this successful in the SEC?
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14926/type/college/melvin-ingram