1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

49ers Hire Manusky

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TJBOLT, Feb 1, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Try not to repeat the same flawed analogy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Sorry dude. I'm calling BS. This comes with winning. You lose assistants. It's not like any of these guys left without receiving a promotion. They were all promoted into roles that are filled on our coaching staff.

The idiot coach Marty, the one you love bashing so much, is the same Marty that assembled this coaching staff that is so highly regarded around the league. So I trust Marty to replenish the staff with other solid coaches.

3. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Remember the name "John Pagano."

According to Kevin Acee (he was interviewd yesterday on 1090) John Pagano is the real golden boy among the Chargers defensive assistants. Apparently he's been the guy up in the booth relaying information down to Wade, and he was also instrumental in the development of Merriman and Phillips. He specifically works with the outside linebackers, and the players love him according to Acee. He's also worked as a DB's coach for the Colts and does work for game-prep, and he's only 39.

http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/john-pagano.htm

His official title is "Quality Control / Assistant LB Coach," but apparently he's a guy who wears many hats for the Bolts and knows his stuff. His brother is the DB coach with the Turds. (Yes, I know that's not relevant, just a factoid.)

We may still have our heir apparent to Wade on staff.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,867
    Why would you make such a stupid precition as AJ keeping Marty when AJ has no control over that?

Or, did you predict AJ would suggest to the Spanos' that they should keep him?

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I was making a speculation based off observation, not an analogy.

Furthermore, I wasn't repeating anything. Leisure is the one that responded to something that was already responded to.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Am I right or wrong?

Teams have to ask the Bolts for permission to speak to staff under contract?

7. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I'm not sure, actually. I don't know if teams have to do it under league rule or if they do it as a courtesy. I was always under the impression you could hire a coach from any team if the job you give him is a promotion from his previous job and that you don't have to seek permission from his current team. Yet the Niners asked the Chargers for permission to interview Manusky, so I don't know anymore.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    What kind of message would the Chargers be sending if they denied their assistant coaches permission to interview for promotions?

THAT would make assistant coaches want to bail.

Furthermore, I don't know what that has to do with whether or not people are losing faith with the system. The Chargers, not the asst. coaches, control whether or not someone has permission to interview them.

edit: This is, of course, assuming that it is a rule and not a courtesy, as suggested above. I'm not too positive on that, either. But, either way, it'd send the wrong message if the Chargers said no.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Why worry, Marty has been in the biz for a little while and I'm sure as snow is white, he knows a couple people here and there.

Marty isn't good enough for this team, according to some fans, but damn the rest of the league with people in the know are loving it.

Yeah, lets fire Marty and get it over with, all of his assitants hate him so bad they're all jumping ship. :bolt2:

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I know what AJ did. But you said "I predicted AJ would keep Marty before all this went public."

AJ didn't do squat but make a reccomendation.

11. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    hiring new asst coaches is where the Marty situation might hurt us. I can fathom someone outside the system being reluctant to come in knowing the head coach most likely will be gone next year.

I just don't see these guys getting hired for promotions as any sign that those who are already in the system are losing faith in the organization.

12. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +382
    Good we don't deserve him. Go niners and fuc you AJ and especially fuc you Marty. If AJ doesn't draft at least one of my boys I will be fucing pizzed at this organization. Everyone was blasting me for saying manusky should be the HC or at least the DC and now he is going to turn the niners defense into a powerhouse just you wait and see. He is a players coach and he has balls but the difference between him and MORTY is that he doesn't tell players mistakes are ok. That is what makes him great and what will make his players great. Chargers are pissing the fuc out of me AJ better bring in some hard nosed players or I will not support this ***** organization :icon_evil:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Damnit stop taking our coordinators before I get pissed!

14. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I need to get my head examined. I completely misread your posts. Nevermind.

15. benjamink15

benjamink15 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Please tell me you're kidding ... adversity brings out the best in people ... you just watch

The Bolts will be hoisting the Vincent Lombardi Trophy next february in Arizona.

Have some faith in your team and stop bashing the GM who has done a splendid job so far. WE ARE A BIGTIME CONTENDER ... Coaching gems are found all the time ... we dont even need one to win it all. Get a grip.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Nice post. I don't think Marty's lame duck status is much of a factor.

Perrenial contenders like the Steelers and Patriots lose assistant coaches every year, despite a very stable head coaching situation.

It is looking more and more like Wade is staying. Not only will our defense be fine next year, but we are going to be even better. You read it here first. :tup:

17. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Manusky was not thought of by many people to be a DC material outside of San Diego and it is a bit surprising that the Niners grabbed him. I wish him the best of luck but all the marty saving hatred is based on seeing what has played out. No one thought we'd lose this many people.

18. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Bummer. Man I really hope Wade doesn't go anywhere now>

19. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,594
    if he goes it'll be Wayne Nunnley who takes over, hte DL coach
    good news is that Turner appears to be the front runner

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,867
    I understand why people are reacting the way they are. But (and please, nobody take this to mean what it almost sounds like it means.) I generally tend to think out a situation before I go posting about it....or even talking about it to people offline.

Sure, at first glance it looks like people are bailing, and regardless of intensions it does suck to lose 3 (maybe 4) assistant coaches in one offseason, but considering they're all leaving for promotions, I don't get the feeling they're leaving because they no longer want any part of the Chargers' organization.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Very Well Said!!

22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    My guess is its a bit of both. That the chargers have said that these coaches can leave cause there maybe a big coaching change next year. And that they have a chance to move up in the coaching ranks. Which I'm guessing is the goal for these assistant coaches.

What I'm a bit confused about is how they will be able to do a transition if they do bring in a whole new coaching staff. The team will be super bowl caliber for a number of years now. Kind of doesn't make sense to do a total coaching change. Just wondering how they'll do it if they do do it.

23. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,173
    Well said, the sky is not falling. Nor is the fate of this team in 07 already written.

We lost a good coach, it has happened before. We did not stop playing the game then, and we wont now. Have bed feelings about next year if that sooths you, I expect us to be hoisting the Lombardi this next season.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Sounds good to me!!! :tup:

I'm not concerned about any of this because none of these were worth a promotion here.
    Now if Wade were to go... moving Manusky up to DC might have been a good idea.
    In all honesty... I don't think we'll miss Cam. I wanted him to become HC at one time but not anymore.

25. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Manusky was the freaking LB coach. Losing him is not going to have a huge negative impact on this team.

26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Sorry foober, but I'm going to have to question your sources this time.

Because I seriously doubt that the front office would use Marty's status as a reason to let coaches walk.

Do you have a link to an article that states this?

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    there won't be any articles about this. The media is pretty clueless on whats going on with the chargers coaching situation and for good reason. As they are about most stuff with the chargers.

I think you kind of misunderstood what I was getting at. BAsically marty might be on his way out after this year. So very probably the next coach will bring in his own staff. Its just a theory. Alot can and probably will happen after this next season. Just have to wait and see what will transpire.

I'd have to think its abuot 50/50 whether marty stays with the team after this year.