1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Reasons Rivers Will Play Great this Weekend

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltssbbound, Jan 12, 2007.

1. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    1. R & R
    Rivers was a little bit mentally and physically fatigued at the end of the year. Hard to blame him, considering that he played a longer season that he'd ever experienced before. But thanks to the bye, Rivers should be refreshed and ready to play his best.

2. HealthyWeapons
    For the first time since the game at Denver, all of our skill players on offense are fully healthy. Jackson, Parker and KMac are a formidable WR trio, especially since the defense's primary focus has to be on Gates and LT.

3. Clutchosity
    Rivers' 4th Quarter QB rating and the comebacks he's orchestrated in both college and the NFL prove that he plays his best when it counts the most, not to mention his Bowl game MVPs. Rivers' greatest attributes are his moxie, his desire and his ability to lead a team to victory, and he will flatout refuse to lose this game.

4. Experience
    As much as Pats fans want to compare the '04 AFC Championship game against Roethlisberger to the game this weekend against Rivers, it's extremely dissimilar. Big Ben was a rookie who played three years at a small school--Miami of Ohio--where he experienced none of the pressure to perform that Brady and Rivers experienced in big time Divsion I football. Brady's time at Michigan got him ready to be a big time performer in the NFL playoffs, just as Rivers experience at NC State, and his two years on the bench watching a Pro Bowl Q, have prepared him to thrive in pressure situations. Rivers has the most starts of any QB in NCAA history. He is vastly more experienced than most first-year starters.

5. Matchups
    The Pats are predominantly a zone defense. Even there best corner--Samuel--is better in zone coverage than man. Rivers' has proven time and again this that he is masterful at defeating zone schemes. KMac and Parker are extremely proficient at reading zone coverages and finding the openings. With Gates and Jackson capable of exploiting the deep middle of the Pats zone against inferior inside coverage people, the Pats will have to pick their poison, and Rivers will have his choice of open targets, including LT underneath should the Pats backers drop to deep to try and take away the receivers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Excellent Post !! I agree on all points ! :bolt: :helm1: :bolt2: :abq2: :abq1:

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Great post!

The Rivers lack of experience gets mentioned over and over. They always fail to look at his history. For them his experience started in Sept 2006. They completely ignore the things you pointed out.

4. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    Well, now the idiot pat fans are trying to say that his experience will start on Sunday, as if his regular season experience does not help him for the postseason.

Actually, the way the media are talking about this game reminds me alot of the way they talked about our team before our season opener against the Turds. While they all agreed that we were supremely talented, they wondered whether Rivers could go on the road and win his first game. Now it's the same with the postseason. Sure the Pats are better than the Turds, but Rivers and the Chargers are better now than they were at the beginning of the season, too.

You have one lousy bye week and suddenly everyone forgets how good you are. It was the same last year when the Pats played the Broncos. Everyone said, "Brady versus Plummer? You have to take Brady." They said Belicheck would outcoach Shanarat, and pointed out how Shanarat had not won a playoff game since '98. What happened? The Donks rolled.

5. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    By now we all know its just talk. The media needs something to fill in their time slots everyday so they figure why not talk about a team that the east coast loves...

ESPN = EAST COAST

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    After I say this, I will need to go and wash my mouth out with soap!!!!!!!!

Playing the Raiders twice, and playing them in December when they had the #3 overall best defense in the league, helped get Rivers into the playoff mode.

The Raiders have a better defense then the Patriots, and Rivers just beat them Raiders.

Does anyone have any spearmint flavored soap?

7. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,383
    I think the D that helped us the most was Denver's. If you take away the two games that they played against us (where we averaged 41.5 PPG scoring), Denver's D only allowed 13.9 PPG this year, less than the Pats.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    nothin here.

just showing off my new trophy

:icon_tease: :icon_tease: :icon_tease: !!

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    Sounds like that shet for brains boo over on the drama board, but he GUARANTEED they would lose.

• Like Like x 1