1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 Things about the game...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by powayslugger, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I love the whole experience and interacting with the fans is part of it (jersey and jeans or painted face.)
    As long as they aren't starting trouble, they're ALL good.

If someone chooses to be an a-hole, I ignore him.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    You know why Marty was blamed a lot for that loss? Because he made 3 highly questionable decisions in the game:

1.) Going for it on 4th and 11. It was a 47 yard try. What did the team lose by? 3 points.

2.) Wasting a timeout by challenging a call that was obviously not going to go in our favor. Think we could have used that timeout in the final drive?

3.) Not overruling Cam's decision to stop running it down the Pats throats in the second half, when it was working so well in the first half. LT touched the ball just a total of 9 times (including passes) in the second half, versus at least 20 in the first half.

Even then, I blamed most of the players just as much (except for Nate's miss of that 54 yard try in the wind and rain) as I did Marty.

Tell me, in the home KC loss, what "questionable" call or decision did Norv have to warrant the "Marty" chants? Once again, I blamed the players. This time however, I blamed the players much more than the HC.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

To be honest, Norv did not run the ball enough in the second half after LT was destroying them in the first half, but I digress.

I simply can't believe that this is being brought up AGAIN. People just need to drop it with B4L, you'll never change his opinion on Norv, EVER. He is literally obsessed with Norv Turner, it's a kind of love hate relationship, without the love.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree about B4L. He'll never give Norv any respect whatsoever. We can win the Super Bowl this year, and he'll give the players all the credit and Norv absolutely none. Even though Norv did what Marty didn't: Win a playoff game as HC of the Chargers.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192

:yes:

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    If you try an put the pieces together from each post it's clear what happened here. The players, specifically the offensive and defensive lines, screwed up allowing a POS Chiefs team to take a lead at the end of the forth quarter. The idiot fans (where this whole thing started) felt Norv Turner was to blame because it seemed quite clearly that this former Raiders coach was not the answer to our playoff woes though it was only game four of the season. So they called for the fired HC from the year before even though they made it very clear they wanted him gone after a heartwrenching loss to the Patriots that was partly his fault do to poor game management. It was premature since this was week 4 and that's the stupid part. But IMO it was still justified. Norv was supposed to uphold the winning ways of the Chargers and he was failing to even match Schottenheimer's record from the year before. So it turns out it was stupid. The fans were chanting for Marty, who they supposedly abhorred, in week 4 of the regular season when Norv wasn't to blame. By the way Norv was/is the answer.

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    B4L, doesn't have a clue. Under Marty it was the players, Under Norv it's the coach. I haven't seen Norv get the team a penalty yet as Marty did.

Marty simply couldn't coach outside of the box, he always played it safe. Norv will pull something out of thin air and give it a try, GilmanCoryell like.

8. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    You must spend a lot of time alone at the Bolttalk tailgates.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +898
    You summed it up perfectly, we have a lot of idiot fans.

10. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Ya true true.

I'm sure everybody can understand fans that get giddy as the Chargers make play after play driving to the endzone, and how the excitement gets everyone riled up and cheering loudly. I catch myself clapping when we get to the line, and have to remind myself to stay quiet. I'm not at home where my drumming and yelling won't affect Vincent Jackson's or Mike Goff's hearing for the snapcount; at a game u have to learn what will help ur team.

Why fans from our city behave like this while Indy, Chi-town, and KC fans know when to be quiet? Maybe cuz we're not as obsessed with football. We got tons of fun stuff to do. Loyal fans of the Chargers can also be avid surfers and dirtbikers; they don't have time to learn coverage zones or even our guard's name. But they still can love the team and support it by buying tickets and rooting for LT. What does Indy or KC have? A long-*** race and BBQ sauce?

We may have beautiful weather, which leads to fair-weather, wave-starting fans, but at least now with the team being built to remain strong for the long run, we do have strong support that will last. And hopefully in time learn how to be REAL supportive fans.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Allen,

I have asked you several times privately to stop dragging my name into your inane responses and to stop flaming me for my views. I have spoken to the mods who have also spoken to you, yet once again, you just can't help yourself. When are you gonna get it through your thick skull that I have my views and you have yours and they don't mesh, and leave it at that? Agree to disagree, ever heard of that? Apparently not.

I don't know why you have such a burning desire to slag me, but goddamn, try to do so with a little more originality instead of bringing the same **** up OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER. Broken record is broken.

Funny how you can sit there and insult the head coach for the entire season then get pissed off when EVERYONE calls you out on it again and again, yet you still keep spouting the same boring rhetoric and calling out people who disagree with your views, hijacking threads when you don't agree with a single post and twisting them with your tired bullshit. Jesus, LET IT GO.

If you wanna play this game, well **** it, I'm all in. I'll keep calling you out and responding to every stupid post you make, which I'm sure will keep me quite busy. Keep on flaming the members on this forum, even though we are ALL Chargers fans, because, if we don't agree with YOUR points of view, we're obviously wrong and deserve it.

Here's to you Mr. Internets Forums Overreaction Guy. You make me proud to be a Chargers fan. Also, where can I get some scary contacts to wear to the football games so I can be cool like you?

• Like Like x 1
  12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I think it's also because San Diego is a highly "transient" town, with lots of people moving to, and then possibly from, the city all in a few years time. There is often turnover in the population. That could be due to the military presence and then the great climate. While some of us that live here are "native" San Diegans, there is a huge amount of the county's population that has been here less than 8 years, and most haven't been Bolt fans but for maybe 3 or 4 of those.

KC and Indy aren't that way. I would surmise that 90% or more of those living in KC and Indy have lived there all their lives, or for at least 20 years. Their NFL team fanhood likely dates back almost as long. The same goes for Pittsburgh and Green Bay.

13. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Its because B4 is related to Uncie Marty and was promised a big red fire truck. However, when he got fired and replaced by Norv B4 couldn't get one and cried all night long. Then a couple of days later when he was at the mall with Uncie Marty getting ice cream Norv took the last rocky road. Ever since B4 has hated Norv.

14. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Flat out, it wasn't till week 11 that didn't look like a team.
    No organization, no leadership, figner pointing on the side line.
    That is ALL signs of a poorly coached team.

The "Marty" chant is no different then chanting "Fire Marty."
    Either one is about disapproval of the coach.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I suspect that as long as we have ideal tailgating weather through the entire winter, our fans will not show the proper cheering etiquette. We don't have the serious crowd problems other teams do for the most part, but none of our folks are apt to make the cast of "Curb Your Enthusiasm", especially since they have to be jacked up to sell out the stadium in the first place.

16. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

All I mentioned is that you and SL share some of the same POVs. You've mentioned that yourself. What's the problem?

And I did not hijack this thread. WS claimed fans were stupid to chant "Marty" during last year's embarassing loss to the Quiefs and I'm stating "it's no different than calling for Marty to be fired after a loss."

This arguement has absolutely nothing to do with who is a better coach (Norv or Marty) or where we would have finished with Marty still as HC. It's about fan behavior.
    Also about some fans being overly sensitive about Norv getting lack of respect and passionate about blaming Marty.

I've had my views flamed many time by several posters. So what? It's fine with me. That's a sign of excellence!!!!

Oh... And you can get some cool contacts at "wildeyes.com." Look forward to seeing your eyes.

17. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Sounds like a great set-up for a Real Men of Genius commercial.

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018

Is it just me or is it getting romantic in here? :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

ALL teams have idiot fans. That's the case everywhere!!!

I agree that the LT chant is off but keep in mind that not all fans in attendence are as hard core and knowledgable about the game as people in this forum.
    That's part of selling out!!!!
    I'll take that over having a half full stadium of opposing team fans in a heart beat!!!!

The "Marty" thing was not stupid at all. At the time, it looked like we took a few steps in the wrong direction and that we were better off before.
    I'm sure it got to Norv but you don't think calling for a coach's discharge get's to him? If you have a problem with fan reaction, then coach the team!!! It's that easy!!!

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Hmmmmmm. Does anybody in here get a romantic feeling when they see my contacts?!!! :lol:

21. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Ever been to a Steeler game or a Pats game and I won't even mention the Faider games at Qualcomm? Though the other half (1/4 at Faider games) are Charger fans so that's good.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

And I haven't seen us get as badly blown out since the 2002 season (Patsies and Vikings). Regardless... THAT IS NOT WHAT THIS DISCUSSION IS ABOUT!!!!

YOU don't have a clue. It was YOU that brought up this "where would we have finished with Marty as HC last year" retric. And now YOU'RE trying to keep it going.

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've been to Three Rivers but not Heinz Field.

24. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +898
    All of what you say is true, but San Diego gets the rap of laid back, fair weather fans and that is why.

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +898
    Try www.attentionwhore.com, they might have some. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    One of the most solid fan bases I can think of is the Steelers.
    Why? Because their always competitive and a bad season to them is like 7-9 or 6-10.

If they went through a horrible drought for as long as we did (including a 1-15 season,) what do you think would happen?

27. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Why is that a forbidden site? :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

28. Aggieman

Ratings:
    +194
    Well, I was talking about a Steeler game in SD or a Pats game in SD . My family is all Steeler fans and they're certainly my second-favorite team so we go en masse to the Steeler game and it looks like Heinz Field. Then there was the playoff Pats game; way too many Patriot fans...

I've only been to Qwest Field, loudest stadium ever!! But Seahawks fans are super cool. When we barely beat them in
    '06 People walked up and said, "you need to get LT that ring and merry Christmas."

29. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +898
    You have again completely missed the point. If they had chanted "FIRE NORV" I still would have thought it was a bit premature, but at least it would have been nowhere as stupid as chanting "Marty."

If fans are calling for Marty's head, then chanting his name later, well if you can't see how retarded that is, I can't help you. :icon_shrug:

30. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Questions...
    You claim that fans who paint their face are just saying "I'm super fan." Well most of your posts seem to be "I'm a much better fan," so what does that make you?

You also say these fans just want to get on TV and brag to their friends. Well the camera has come to the BT area several times and everybody got in front of it and cheered. So if a friend tells anybody from the BT area that they saw him/her on TV, should he/she be ashamed of himself?

Also... Why so many rules and restrictions? :icon_shrug: