1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

5 things Chargers need - from ESPN

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 14, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=3244261
    San Diego Chargers
    Right tackle: The Chargers' offensive line underachieved a little during the 2007 season, but is still one of the best units in the NFL. However, the biggest issue on the line is ROT. Starter Shane Olivea was injured early in the season and did not play very well once he came back. He was eventually sent to the bench in favor of Jeromey Clary, but he was not the answer at ROT either. Though not a high pick or huge need, the Chargers will add a tackle at some point this offseason.

Nose tackle: The team has been solid over the past decade with Jamal Williams at the NT position and they got very good production from him again last season. However, Williams was not as dominant as he has been over his career and you can see his body starting to wear down some. Williams will be back in the starting lineup in 2008, but the team needs to start grooming the future at the position. Williams has been a dominant NT over his career and would be excellent at developing a young player to eventually replace him.

Eric Weddle
    Defensive Back
    San Diego Chargers

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
    Tot Solo Ast FF Sack Int
    54 43 11 0 1 1
    Safety: The team moved up in the draft last season to select safety Eric Weddle. He developed and improved over the season, but he still has a ways to go to be considered the answer at one of the safety spots next season. Even if Weddle develops into a solid starter, the team needs to add another safety next season. The team basically played the majority of last season with a backup in Clinton Hart and Marlon McCree. Weddle, Hart and McCree are all serviceable, but the team really needs a playmaker in the back end.

Cornerback: The team is solid with starters Antonio Cromartie and Quentin Jammer. However, No. 3 corner Drayton Florence is poised to hit the open market as a free agent. As the Chargers found out by nearly upsetting the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, you need three quality corners in today's NFL. The team added Paul Oliver in last year's supplemental draft, but he may not be the answer. The Chargers need to be three deep at the corner position, if they are going to once again compete defensively with the Patriots and Colts in 2008.

Running back: Even though the team has the best RB in the NFL, you can never have enough depth at the position. Starter LaDainian Tomlinson is the best in the game, but the team will lose the best backup in the NFL in Michael Turner, who will hit the free-agent market. Even though Tomlinson is one of the most durable backs in the game, Turner provided a nice security blanket behind him. RB is not a high priority because the team still has Darren Sproles, but look for the Chargers to add depth at some point in the draft.

2. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    Is this in order of priority?... If so I'd more or less go along with it. Though I still say we go DT early in the draft then safety. I cannot see us looking at RB before round 5. As regards corner I still have hope that Gordon and Gregory can make it.

3. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I wonder why the author excluded Clinton Hart from the "serviceable" category? :icon_huh:

:lol:

4. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    well, it's seems clear that EVERYONE (insiders, scout, scott wright, GBN, etc...) understands the team needs... the order is just the question...:lol:

gotta find a way of keeping Rivers jersey clean AND LT to run right...
    those 2 guys represent THE franchise... and our ability to WIN the Lombardi... which was painfully clear last month... get a ROT damnit...

Gross or Williams/Nicks

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    As mentioned in another spot, a Right Tackle seems to be avaliable in FA either Maurice Williams or Max Starks. I think either could be had for a decent amount of money and would lock down the RT spot easily for a while.

As far as safety goes, I keep hearing that the Chargers are looking at Paul Oliver to be our SS and there was evidence to suggest that he could be a future safety. At the worse its a year of Weddle/Hart.

NT has to be addressed in the draft since I see no one who's available in FA who could be our next stud NT.

6. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Agreed DT is the top priority. Jamal is getting hurt to much and may be past his prime even though he is still one of the best if not THE best DT in the game (when healthy). I saw 2 mocks having us taking 6'5" 295 lb. DT Kentwan Balmer from North Carolina. KB Profile We can get a solid DT with our 1st rounder. The Gnats proved that if you can stuff the run and get to the QB you can beat ANY team. Their run of beating Dallas IN Dallas, GB in Lambeau and then the Cheatriots in the SB is very impressive and they did it with massive pressure on the QB and solid defensive line play. Hell, Eli didn't really win it for them, the defense did! Anyway, KB would probably be available since the top 2 Dorsey from L.S.U. and Ellis from USC would be gone. Pat Sims from Auburn might be a good fit as well. I know AJ is already on this.

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    The way ESPN and all the other media outlets rode the Bolts down the stretch, I'm surprised they didn't have QB as a "NEED" .. :icon_huh:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    FAT BOYS. 'Nough said.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +498
    cosign

10. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Falcons released defensive tackle Rod Coleman.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3247718

Dude was in the pro bowl a coupla years ago, and is "only" 31

Here is the article that talks about his injury

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3121055

"The loss of Coleman, a nine-year veteran, was not unexpected after he rehabbed furiously to return from surgery on a torn quadriceps sustained in April.

Petrino first realized Coleman's injury when he walked through the locker room during the NFL draft and saw the 297-pounder lying on a training table. Coleman had sustained the tear while driving a personal watercraft.

Though Coleman insisted that his quadriceps held up well, he later hurt his right knee, which swelled up dramatically after his return to practice in September."

11. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    It's not that hard to determine the Chargers' team needs. All you have to do is look at our roster, and everywhere we have a guy isn't top-five in the league in his particular role (or who projects to be there soon) is an area we will look to upgrade.

And that leaves us only 4 or 5 areas. Our roster is loaded with no-doubters, which makes the fringe guys much easier to spot.

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Guess who will be at the head of the que bidding for Michael Turner and maybe even DFlo. Coleman has been around as long as Jamal and his injury history is worse. I'd have to take a very, very close look at him in a physical and then put him through his paces in a gym and on the field.