1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

$50 million not enough for Clady

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    Report: Broncos offer Clady $50 million extension
    Posted by Evan Silva on July 22, 2012, 7:10 PM EDT
    s
    Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Denver Broncos have made left tackle Ryan Clady a five-year, $50 million contract offer that would include $28 million guaranteed. As noted by Klis, the $10 million average annual value would put Clady with the NFL’s top-five highest-paid left tackles.

Clady, who is in the final year of his rookie contract, is owed $3.5 million in 2012.

Per Klis, however, the offer isn’t viewed as strong enough by Clady’s camp. Agent Pat Dye reportedly wants a deal worth more than that of Cleveland’s Joe Thomas. Thomas signed an eight-year, $92 million deal last August and is the NFL’s richest left tackle.

Clady isn’t as good as Thomas — and it isn’t even close. So the fact that Clady wants more money than a player he’s inferior to suggests no deal is imminent, barring a surprise increase in the Broncos’ already reasonable offer or decrease in Clady’s unreasonable contract demands.

2. boltfanatik

boltfanatik Toxic Minority Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I loath some of these agents!

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,528
    What?........ I love all the Broncos agents........ go for every penny you can get, you money grubbing bastages!!! ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +127
    He protects Manning blind side, he should get the contract he did. :laugh:

5. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    I would agree with Clady, he's not worth $50M.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    The agent does what the player wants; if the player wants to be the highest paid tackle in the game even if the agent thinks its a bad idea, the agent follows the strategy of the player. The tactics are the area that the agent has control over - which is one of the reasons I was so annoyed and irritated with VJ's agent back during the holdout

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    And on the other hand, I'd bet you there are plenty of agents who in an effort to sign a client will make promises they can't deliver on. Hence VJ's agents acting like a couple butt hurt dipshits in public.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    According to VJ's contract, haters are wrong again:roflmao:

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,924
    When I first read the thread title I thought it said Clary at first for some reason. :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So because a desperate team over pays for a player, that means we shoudl have? Sorry, I'll take the 4-5 players we were able to get with that same amount of money, as they will help more than a guy who caught only 3-4 catches a week and was 1 DUI away from begin suspended for an entire season

• Agree Agree x 6
  11. boltfanatik

Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry I go with the premise that agents gets a cut so I would say a lot of the time he will pressure his player to hold out for more money, I would;)

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,776
    Based on what? The issue is Javon Walker...oh *ahhemm*...Vincent Jackson was a Restricted Free Agent and his agents promised him this money 2 years ago and failed to deliver.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,671
    agents in a way are no different than lawyers (many of the former were trained as the latter originally), but even if they weren't, agents are required by LAW to work for the benefit of their charge. They aren't allowed to go off on their own if the player doesn't want to, that's malpractice and the agent can be sued and sued heavily for their crime in addition to possible criminal penalties. I wouldn't be surprised if greed on both sides isn't driving this but in the end the player (like any client to an attorney) is in the driver's seat

14. boltfanatik

Ratings:
    +112
    Agree but come on on especially young players are very vulnerable. I not saying all agents are snakes but some of them can be poisonous.

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think what he is saying is that many times, the agent will convince the player to shoot for the moon and will even talk them into believing they are worth more than they really are, similar to a lawyer in a class action suit who will convince their client they should ask for a certain amount, when the person may have not even though about shooting that high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    VJ hate is almost as funny as LT love

VJ got plenty money in the franchise tag and had the Chargers signed him to his at the time current worth (not what Acee was reporting), they'd have saved money then and now. But call other teams who want him stupid, he won and the Chargers were stupid in how they handled it from beginning to face saving end. I don't agree with players half assing it because they are unhappy but unlike the LT situation, it was understandable if not predictable in VJ's case (you KNOW AJ went down on the field later in the week and asked them to turn the lights on so he could stand there where VJ "lost it in the lights" :roflmao: ).

Yeah, Chargers lost and VJ won

• Old Old x 1
  17. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I believe it is the agent dictating what the player does. It is the agent who looks at all contracts. It is like a real estate agent telling a house seller what the house will sell for.

18. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    In that case,

VJ's agents win-- AJ loses

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Tell me how Tampa does this year, then tell me that he won

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As I said before, VJ was 1 more DUI away from a season long suspension and does not deserve the money he got. He was a good receiver, but no where near top 10, which he was actually paid as top 5

21. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    You did it for me

22. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    By what criteria did VJ win? He sat out 10 games and played a 6 game season for 600K, when he could have had made several million for that year. That's money he will never get back. Both VJ and his agents lost out. This is not a contest between the Chargers and VJ. The Chargers are trying to build the best team with limited resources. VJ is trying to maximize his value. Just because one team decided VJ was worth a certain contract doesn't mean he was worth it to the Chargers. There are plenty of teams that overpay for players in free agency. I don't know how you can say that any team that doesn't re-sign a free agent "lost." Have you seen the number of high paid free agents that have been busts over the years?

23. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I believe AJ won!!! We have more players that add up a lot more that VJ. What has VJ really done? Rivers did GREAT even when VJ was out. TUTU V-Brown and Floyd. Rivers will thrive, the Bolts will be much better off WITHOUT VJ. VJ wanted the money and got the money. Now if he can not lose the ball in the lights he might prevent an INT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Look, you people! this group session logic thing ain't working out for you guys...have you considered easy listening Jazz?

25. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    now you just woke up the douche alert patrol...

26. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    :laugh: I just look at the positive support on stupid comments as a guide for how many people may be willing to say something and you're telling me there is more??? I LOVE this place! Let's Roll!

27. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +325
    I aint be darn fool nuff to mess wit someun as git all smarts as is you is.

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well, if money was all he wanted rather than a successful team, then we both won since we don't need players like that on the Chargers. The last thing we need is an overpaid prima donna who isn;t worthy of the contract they received

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Exactly. For every Jared Allen, there are 5 Fat Albert and Javon Walkers who don't do squat in the NFL, and I would be willing to be that VJ is more likely to fall in the same category as Haynesworth and Walker, he is the same type of selfish mental patients as those guys

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,780
    VJ got bank = he won. AJ didn't want him around or pay him = he won. Just one big happy family.

• Agree Agree x 1