1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

$50 million not enough for Clady

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jul 22, 2012.

1. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Having had a C-4, C-5 fusion myself, I don't know how Peyton is going to be able to stand up to the hits in the NFL. If I happen to just bump my head right I get a shock through my body beyond explanation. I would hate to see anything bad happen to him or any other player for that matter and I have to wonder if it's all just money motivated.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    He wanted Brandon Marshall money, after Marshall got payed, when he was holding out under the RFA offer sheet. The Chargers at the time weren't talking anything other than RFA tender. Marshall set the market for a troubled receiver with talent, though he was simply a team distraction, and not a 2-time DUI violator. The language in Marshall's contract, explained here http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...olphins-millions-if-they-decide-to-part-ways/ , had miniscule contract payments over the first 2 years, along with an almost complete lack of guaranteed cash. Moreover, the subsequent 3 years were for a scant 9 mil a season. The contract was 5 years, 47 mil, with the last year likely to be renegotiated anyway. A gutsy move at the end of 2009 would've allowed us to have Jackson on the roster from 2010-2011 for 12 mil in salary and 14 mil (7/7) in cap space, and on the roster from 2010-2013 for 30 mil in salary, and 34 mil in cap space (7/7/10/10).

Again, that's Marshall's contract. If Jackson's contract had been negotiated earlier, it would've been done in an environment unaffected by the Marshall contract. I'm not going to play the coulda, woulda, shoulda game to the nth degree, however, even if we had given him exactly what Marshall received, it would've been less than his current contract by a good 8 million bucks, and it also could've been a less front-loaded contract (TB is paying Jackson an obscene amount to take advantage of their current Cap situation) to allow/encourage renegotiation.

Oz is absolutely correct in saying that Jackson could have been had by the Chargers for significantly less than he was signed for this past offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

If you were being paid 20 million dollars to let yourself get tackled ~25 times, would you take the pain killers and try to get through it? Also, when was your C4/5 fusion (if you don't mind my asking, it's obviously personal info.) and was it the best team of surgeons in the country doing the work? I ask because medicine changes daily at this point it seems, and the quality of the work seems to be very different when you have effectively unlimited assets to pay for it.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    You are speculating. He nor the Chargers even spoke about a contract until his RFA year, which was after Marshall got paid. So to say he would have accepted less overall money prior to that, is pure speculation. Also, what Acee reported was that he wanted similar money in what Marshall contract was, not that he would accept the same terms. So once again, it is pure speculation.

Either way, even had he accepted the same exact contract as what Marshall got, it was still WAY too much for a less than 60 catch a year guy(or only 3.2 catches per game) who was 1 off field incident away from a year long suspension, compared to Marshall who didn't have the off field issues and was a 100 catch guy

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

If I catch 100 balls and get 1200 yds, and you catch 60 balls and get 1200 yds, does it really matter? Also, of course I'm speculating, as are you. When you speak in the subjunctive without involving the 2 negotiating parties, it has to, by nature, be speculation. However, Jackson was looking for a long term contract, and would likely not have peed on a 40 million/5 year offer, prior to Marshall getting his 5/48.

6. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Speaking only for myself, no, 20 million wouldn't be worth the risk of further disability or death. Surgery was done in 1997 and I had very top notch doctors at the time.

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +899
    This is evidence only of the Chargers being unwilling to negotiate with Jackson. The Chargers made a decision as an organization to not negotiate with Jackson, as is certainly their right. Why should they be required negotiate when they have already decided that they wanted to pay him that amount, an amount allowed by the CBA negotiated by the player's union? Now, I could listen to arguments that wasn't smart, or they could have done better, or something along those lines. But you stated that it was part of a "power play" which is merely your opinion, though you like to state it as fact.

8. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    From what I remember, we did offer him a contract but he refused to sign because he wanted more money. And this is where everything started to unravel. Well, I for one am glad he is gone. I felt he was only giving us a half *** WR as it was confirmed to me that he 'lost the ball in the lights' bs.

9. BoltWalt

BoltWalt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Well I hope Clady has a long successful holdout.;)

10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Taking a page from the VJ camp?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lers-will-stop-negotiating-with-mike-wallace/

Wonder if Wallace has the same agent as VJ?

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Difference is, my speculation is backed up by AJ's own words and reports from the guy who followed AJ closer than anyone. Your's is based on nothing

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Cna you find that anywhere because I never saw that. The only thing I ever saw was the link I posted, which had AJ stating they were not doing any long term deals due to the CBA uncertainty

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    That was speculation on my behalf because there is ZERO reasonable reason other than it being a power play, oh and because Acee stated it multiple times

14. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629

Neither of them said anything during the regular season. Also, what Smitty said is irrelevant, since his position is the variable in a subjunctive scenario where we change what he offers to VJ.

15. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    the best I can find is this
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5604433

It doesn't talk about a contract to Jackson. This reminded me of AJs strategy and it was that they wanted to see what was going to happen with the un-capped year and with a potential non football season. And that the Chargers were not going to offer a contract to Jackson until they knew what the bargaining agreement was going to be. I said in my earlier post that they offered a contract and that was wrong. They did not but only offered him his tender.

16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    So your opinion is based on Acee's opinion. Got it.

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    The owner of the Jags has stated that MJD will not be getting a new contract, I guess it's a power play, he has a big ego, and he's a prick.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    No, my opinion is based on the only info available, and it may be his opinion, but his opinion is more informed than anyone on this board since he actually knows and covered AJ on a daily basis

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Except for the fact that MJD still has 2 years on his contract and isn't an under paid player on a rookie contract

20. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Denver,

without acknowledging how wrong you have been, you change your argument then put one way conditionals on the information brought to you.

What are you arguing now, that no one can prove to your satisfaction that VJ would have been less than 10.1 per year if the Chargers signed him 2 years ago? Do you feel like a winner now? Are you done?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    Agreed, it's all opinion. So anyone stating it as fact is talking out of their as*, right?

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +899
    But the team is required to negotiate with everyone who wants more money right? Otherwise they are egomaniacs on a power grab. You seem to forget that Jackson was tendered per the CBA negotiated by his union. Thus the Chargers weren't required to offer him a long term contract or negotiate with him. He was not a free agent.

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Jackoffson is in a better place.

24. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    So too is every star player who ever thought about coming to San Diego

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    San Diego doesn't import star player's they export them. Get it straight.

• Like Like x 3
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I wouldn't go that far, because there are informed opinions based of facts where some of the holes are filled with opinion, and there are some where everything is complete opinion and have no evidence to back them up

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    When did I say that? I in no way said AJ should negotiate with everyone, I said in the VJ and McNeil situations, both of which where the team stated they wanted to players to be here long term then refused to negotiate with them when they had 1 RFA year remaining on their contract

28. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
  29. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    Well perfect then! Let's see if he goes to the media and starts talking about what the Wallace demands are to teams he's not able to talk to. I could give a phuck if AJ is a jerk. It's just when the team loses after he's a jerk.

• Funny Funny x 1