1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

53 Man Roster Predictions

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 23, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Also depth chart.

Offense: 25
    QB - Rivers, Clemens
    RB - Gordon, Woodhead, Oliver, Smith
    FB - Johnson
    TE - Gates, Green, Phillips, Miller
    WR1 - Allen, Inman
    WR2 - Floyd, Johnson, Jones
    LT - Dunlap, Hairston
    LG - Franklin
    C - Watt, Robinson
    RG - Fluker, Troutman
    RT - Barksdale, Sirles

Defense: 25
    DE - Reyes, Mathews, Philon
    NT - Carrethers, Lissemore
    DT - Liuget, Unrein
    OLB - Ingram, Emanuel
    ILB - Te'o, Conner
    ILB - Butler, Perryman
    OLB - Attaochu, Law, Williams
    CB - Flowers, Williams
    CB - Verrett, Robinson, Mager
    SS - Addae, Wilson
    FS - Weddle, Stuckey

STs: 3
    K - Lambo
    P - Scifres
    LS - Windt

Practice Squad: 10
    RB - Jahwan Edwards
    WR - Javontee Herndon
    WR - Tyrell Williams
    OT - Tyreek Burwell
    OG - Michael Huey
    OLB - Colton Underwood
    ILB - Nick Dzubnar
    CB - Greg Ducre
    S - Adrian Phillips
    QB - Chase Rettig

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^This list is wrong! I don't see D. Brown listed with the RBs... Telesco is going to be upset with this.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Gates doesn't count for the 53 to start, so we can have one extra guy to cut later. There's still hope for Nicky. ;)

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Are you sure suspended players don't count?
    I thought they had to go on some special "exempt list" or something like that.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    That's what I read..... I'm assuming it's correct.

6. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    If only there was a resident "expert" that could resolve this question, and do it under 7 paragraphs...

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    As long as they can avoid the caps lock key, we should survive. ;)

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    no Novak???

9. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Once the final roster cut down date hits, any player that's been handed a suspension goes on an inactive or reserve list and does NOT count against the 53-man roster. That's from Insidefootball.com and also reads the same from overthecap.com

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    [​IMG]

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Kim, yes..... Nate, doubtful. ;)

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Craig Mager needs to be higher up. He has preformed better so far than Robinson.

Inman looks like he could be a cut imo. Williams has made a good performance to make the 53. I think it's between him and Pettis at this point.

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    As noted by others, Gates does not count toward the first 53. So that "player" will be "Miller/Gates" or possibly "Parker/Gates".

After that, what I want us to do is to change the above by:

Adding J. Edwards at RB instead of Smith
    Adding Tyrell Williams at WR
    Cut Unrein and Reyes and add one good cut DL player from another team (total of 6)
    Keep Chris Davis instead of Mager
    Put Tourek Williams on IR and add one good cut player from another team
    Add Lambo but keep Novak. Lambo does kickoffs and very long FGs (for now).

What I think we will actually do:

D. Brown as the 4th RB
    Pettis as the 6th WR
    Mager instead of Davis (as shown by matilack)
    Tourek Williams on the 53 (as shown by matilack)
    Novak instead of Lambo

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Mager has hung tuff the last 2 games, credit where it's due, he's on the way to proving me wrong.
    Emanuel had a ROUGH game 2.

I have to disagree on Ty Williams, it's way too early. He caught 3 balls this week, but also got credit for 2 drops, and he caught nothing last week. I really want to see him with Rivers in the game.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Glade you had that follow up. I was close to having you join charger1993 as the only other person I have on ignore.

Cut Mager?
    Keep 2 kickers?
    PUHLEEASE:roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Yeah, I understand that 2 kickers is controversial, but Novak keeps putting us at risk on kickoffs and that is something that other teams just don't have to deal with. The best in the league are over 75% touchbacks and I think we were somewhere in the teens in touchback percentage (dead last). Also, we have some crap at the fringe of the roster, so I think the spot is easily there.

Of course we won't cut Mager, but Mager gives us next to nothing in CB play and Davis, while not a great CB, is a good return man. I know we have Jones, but he is aging and plays a high injury risk position, so it isn't such a bad thing to have a second guy that has good return skills without losing anything in coverage at CB.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Novak only had 10 touchbacks last year, by FAR and away the worst in the league. And his average starting position was also the worst in the league. My point is if Lambo keeps making these 40-50 yarders look like chip shots, why do we even need Novak?

Mager looked solid last night. Albeit against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I was happy to see he wasn't completely out of his depth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Still need to see more of Lambo, but I agree with the general sentiment. Novak may be very accurate, but his weak leg has been a detriment to the team on kickoffs. You can't underestimate the importance of starting field position to the success of scoring drives. The Chargers offense routinely has to gain more yards to convert points. Why make things harder for yourself? Besides, Novak is 34 now, and Lambo has a fresh leg. How long do you want to stick with an aging kicker?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Maybe give him enough time to start a school or something...

Ray-Finkle-Football-Academy.jpg

20. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    I have to disagree on Emmanuel, even tho he didn't have the game he did in the first preseason game. He was in plays where he wasn't even involved in truly. In the pic by kavell Conner , you can see Emmanuel get pressure jump up to contest the throw and force the an to throw a bad pass across his body. But I'm glad you have me on ignore.
    :roflmao:

21. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Here's my 2 cents, and btw Yes for first 4 weeks Gates is not counting against the 53.

Offense: 25
    QB - Rivers, Clemens
    RB - Gordon, Woodhead, Oliver, Smith
    FB/TE - Johnson
    TE - Green, Phillips, Miller
    WR1 - Allen, Herndon, Pettis
    WR2 - Floyd, Johnson, Jones
    LT - Dunlap, Hairston
    LG - Franklin
    C - Watt, Robinson
    RG - Fluker, Troutman
    RT - Barksdale, Sirles

Defense: 25
    DE - Reyes, Mathews, Philon
    NT - Carrethers, Lissemore
    DT - Liuget, Unrein
    OLB - Ingram, Emanuel
    ILB - Te'o, Conner
    ILB - Butler, Perryman
    OLB - Attaochu, Law, Mueller (if Tourek is IR'd)
    CB - Flowers, Williams
    CB - Verrett, Robinson, Mager
    SS - Addae, Phillips
    FS - Weddle, Stuckey

STs: 3
    K - Lambo
    P - Scifres
    LS - Windt

Practice Squad: 10
    RB - Jahwan Edwards
    WR - Tyrell Williams
    WR - Titus Davis
    OT - Tyreek Burwell
    OG - Michael Huey
    OLB - Colton Underwood or Mueller (if not on the 53 for Tourek)
    ILB - Nick Dzubnar
    CB - Manuel Asprilla
    S - Adrian Phillips (not sure he'd be eligible for PS?, so I am excluding him from PS, instead he makes the 53 over Jimmy bust Wilson)
    QB - Chase Rettig
    DL - Luther Robinson

• Like Like x 1
  22. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I agree that if Lambo is accurate, we do not need Novak. My issue is that I am not ready to decide that after only two preseason games even though Lambo would only have needed about 5 feet between the goal posts to make all of his kicks.

What we don't want to do is to cut Novak, have him get signed elsewhere, and find out that Lambo can only make 65% or so of his FG attempts despite having a strong leg.

We know that Novak is accurate and that Lambo can kick the ball deep on kickoffs. Both are important objectives to make sure of during the regular season.

Happily, it appears that I was dead wrong about Philon when I stated that he was a bad draft pick for us, so I think we have 5 good/solid DL players. And then we have Reyes and Unrein. I do not see what Reyes or Unrein contribute to the team, so I do not see why one of those players cannot be cut so that Lambo can be kept.

Ideally, I would prefer to keep 7 DL players with 6 active, but that is not close to how our roster strength is structured. Now, if we had drafted Carl Davis along with Philon and had signed a good DL player during the offseason, then I would have to reassess my position. But with the back end fluff that we have, I would much rather have Lambo and Novak at least for this season because it wouldn't cost us anything to do it that way in terms of having to give up a useful player.

Regarding Mager, even if Mager can be a reserve CB for us, so can Chris Davis and Davis gives us the added value of someone that can return kicks. I don't see either player as a great CB, but I do see Davis as having ST value. That's why I prefer him to Mager.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I can agree on one thing, I would rather have two kickers as a fail safe (for a couple games) than waste a roster spot on both Clemens and Sorenson. It's one or the other, and I have confidence in neither.

The only time Davis ST value is relevant is if Jones gets hurt. And don't forget Davis is still PS eligible. And also, I'm not sure Ducre isn't the better CB anyway. Thankfully there are two games left to iron that out.

24. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I disagree that the only time Davis' ST value is relevant is if Jones gets hurt. What if WR injuries force Jones into action at WR? The team will not want Jones handling all returns plus WR duties, so they may give PR duties to Davis. Or they might do that to rest Jones regardless of WR injuries.

If Mager is not a better CB than Davis, then why not keep Davis as the player that can make the better overall contribution to the team? I view Mager and Davis as about the same at CB. Neither is anything to write home about as a CB. But one guy, Davis, has good ST value. I think Ducre, Mager and Davis are all reserve caliber NFL CBs (a dime a dozen as CBs).

We are not going to use 3 QBs unless we pick up a player cut from another team. There is no way we are keeping Sorenson.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Because Mager was a 3rd round pick.

Even if Mager were clearly the next Sammy Davis already, and was afraid to tackle, and walked around the locker room in hello kitty boxers doing a goose step chanting Heil Hitler he still wouldn't be cut. Thankfully none of that appears to be the case, he's guaranteed to make the 53.

I don't disagree with your estimate of his talent, but I'm reversing course a little from the complete wasted pick I saw it as a few months ago.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    @UTgehlken: Josh Lambo on why he chose Chargers as undrafted FA: "I thought this was the best opportunity to land a job ... with the kickoff issue."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Our "secret" is out. ;)

Lets not forget that fewer returns means fewer chances for our players to get injured on special teams.... not an insignificant consideration.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Awkward time for Nick Novak to share a locker room with this guy, huh?:D

29. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ I just hope that they aren't wearing the same shoe size, and trade them with each other. Then, that would be awkward...

30. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    All I know is that Lambo showed that he has ice water in his veins. Josh has a really smooth kicking motion. Based on the lack of touchbacks alone we need to make a change. There's a lot of sense to the logic of keeping our players healthier if the touchbacks increase.