1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

6/11 Team Report...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SanDiegoRon, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=422179

Chargers Team Report

Posted: June 11, 2008
    Kevin Acee
    For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: With the acquisition of Jeremy Newberry, the Chargers believe they have made a major move toward protecting the consistency and attitude of their offensive line in the event C Nick Hardwick (foot) not be ready for the start of the season. Newberry, who was signed to a one-year deal, brings experience (he has started in 104 games) and nastiness. Incumbent backup Cory Withrow is a quality fill-in, but he is limited athletically and doesn't bring the same spark and aggression that Hardwick and Newberry do. ...

In his recovery from a torn ACL, QB Philip Rivers has progressed to the point where he is leading the first team in almost every rep during offseason workouts, including in 11-on-11 drills against the defense. Every once in awhile, Billy Volek fills in with the starters while Rivers stands off to the side and watches or stretches his surgically repaired right knee. Rivers is expected to be almost 100 percent by the start of training camp.

SCOUTING REPORT: RG Mike Goff has not missed a start since joining the team in 2004, playing through injuries that at times have left him barely able to walk after games. He pushes the boundaries of his limited mobility, pulling more than adequately in a scheme that requires him to do so a fair amount. His consistency is a big reason the Chargers have won 46 games over the past four seasons. But Goff is 32, and he isn't on the upswing of his career from a skills standpoint. This will be his final season with the Chargers if he isn't willing to take a smaller salary and a backup role.

CHARGERS RUNNING BACKS GRADE: LaDainian Tomlinson has led the league in rushing the past two years, and he shows no signs of slowing. But he will have a new cast around him: The Chargers lost backup Michael Turner to free agency and cut fullback Lorenzo Neal. Darren Sproles will have a larger role from scrimmage, and third-round draft pick Jacob Hester will fill in at tailback and play fullback. Andrew Pinnock takes over for Neal as Tomlinson's lead blocker. Grade: A-minus. Pro Bowl-caliber players: Tomlinson.

POSITION BATTLES: Every starter is in place, which means the battle for the No. 3 cornerback spot will be the most intriguing one in training camp. Rookie Antoine Cason will have to be a quick study if he's going to mount a challenge. It appears Paul Oliver has the edge over Cletis Gordon going into camp. Gordon is faster, but Oliver has improved his speed and is more physical than Gordon.

*** damn, another month till TC...:icon_sad:

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Actually, a month and a half. :lol:

I wish some tuna fish would show offshore to help us kill some time, eh Ron? :yes:

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm there, when you say meet me...:yes: a full day "exploratory" is in order.... :tup: ...actually, the Pacific Star leaves Fri night...

they're killin the Calicos in the kelp beds... reachable by kayak...

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    So, Sproles and Hester are going to back-up LT??? This doesn't sound all that great.

One of the biggest single things I miss about SD. :icon_sad:

No, they are on their way north. :tup:

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Anyone think Pinnock is in danger of being cut?

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    and leave Sproles and Hester as the ONLY backups??

:icon_huh:

7. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    ??? Nope, recovering from surgery he might see the PUP or IR list though.

8. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Er... Nope. Lots of RBs in camp that could take Pinnoch's place on the final 53 if he isn't recovered on time... Question is, can they pass block? Pick up the blitz?

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    and thomas

basically

RB: LT, Thomas, Sproles
    FB: Hester

It just depends where the heck they're putting hester in, at RB or FB. If its the former yeah Pinnock stays, if its the latter then perhaps Pinnock gets cut.

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    that little 2 yrd pass in the flat to the FB will have a whole different result this year.... :yes:

11. Charger Dave

Ratings:
    +1,028
    While I agree Thomas may be another "find" - I don't think Mike Tolbert came here just for the exercise - then there are guys like Germaine Race and Eldra Buckley that may get to show something when Training Camp gets started again, (hope those guys can remain injury free this year).

12. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the competition to make this team is getting much tougher... guys like Race REALLY have to go balls to the wall....

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    From what I can figure out so far, Hester is going to be groomed to line up in a variety of formations in different spots, including the slot. Pinnock is our only true big back.

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...The IR list? Oh, that means he can at least keep on practicing with the team ..no wait, they aren't the Patriots are they?

15. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

bunch of rookies. I don't feel good about one experienced back-up if Pinnock doesn't make it. But, if AJ says it then............

CUT PINNOCK!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    GO SPROLES!!!!!! :abq2: :bolt: :abq1:

17. HughC

HughC BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    PUP yes, but not IR. IR would put him out for the year. PUP will allow another player on the 80 man roster before the final cuts are made.

18. BleedBLUE&GOLD

BleedBLUE&GOLD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    This is the position that I'm really looking to see pan out. Oliver vs Gordon vs Cason:tup:

In regards to the RB position, I think we'll be ok with Hester, Sproles, and Thomas as backups.

19. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

I fixed it for y'all .....

20. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    The Chargers run some heavy nickel/dime sets, and I really wonder what Acee saw, how much he saw, and if he even knows what is was if he actually saw it.

I think we'll see all those guys (Oliver, Gordon, Cason, Gregory) playing in different dime/nickel sets depending on the offensive formations and down/distance.

Acee feeds into this "labeling" that so many want to get caught up in. The secondary is flexible, and will see different guys lining up in safety and CB roles. We'll see Hart and Weddle flip flop as SS and FS. We'll see Weddle still play the dime safety spot because it lets the defense call blitzes from that formation.

Nobody is locked into the "nickel" or "dime" role. It's going to be flexible.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I know a great web site that's labeled "Flexible".

22. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    :bow: :clover: