1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

7,500 Tickets Remain for KC

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Acee just said there are 7,500 tickets left for the home game after Thanksgiving against KC.

I have been saying all along that this game was the first one on the schedule which would have ANY chance of getting blacked out. I always said if we were over .500, then even that game would still sell out. Hopefully the fans will prove me right.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    There's still 10 days to sell about 6000 tickets.

If there are 1500 or fewer tickets left, I can see KFMB "eating them" because they'll make quadruple that amount on advertising revenue.

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    we beat on denver and itll sell out

• Like Like x 1
  4. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I'm going!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Holy crap! I just now figured out your username is longhand for 6... 1... 9...

:icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    There is a username? I am always to distracted by the av to even notice...

• Like Like x 1
  7. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851

Why do you think it took me so long? :lol:

:icon_eek:

8. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    lets hope it sells out, even in the bad economy beating the crap out of the cheifs is quality entertainment, especially after we beat the donkeys:icon_banana::icon_banana:

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Latest from the Ace:

Only 200 tix sold since Sunday. Still 7,300 left for 11/29 game vs. KC. For real, 44-game sellout streak in jeopardy -- ka

While we shouldn't have a problem if we beat Den, I'm more worried than before if we lose.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers face possible TV blackout on Nov. 29

Posted Nov 18, 2009
    7,300 tickets remain for game Nov. 29; NFL TV blackout appears imminent

More than 7,300 tickets still need to be sold for the Chargers’ next home game versus the Kansas City Chiefs on Nov. 29 to lift the local television blackout. With the large number of tickets still unsold, it appears likely that the game will be blacked out in Southern California. It would be the first Chargers regular season or postseason game blacked out since Nov. 7, 2004. Since then, the team has sold enough tickets to lift the NFL’s local blackout of 44 consecutive games.

“It is extremely unlikely that we will sell 1,000 tickets a day for the next seven days,” said Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg.

Chargers games always get the highest overall television rating each week in the San Diego market. For example, last week’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles drew a 32.5 rating and a 60 share. That means that app. one-third of all households in San Diego were tuned to the game, and 60 percent of all televisions that were on at that time were watching the Chargers.

The Chargers designated their game against the Chiefs as the team’s 50th Anniversary Weekend at which the recently-chosen “Greatest Chargers” of all-time will be in attendance and introduced.

“That game is sure to be one the fans in attendance will remember for a long time,” Steeg said.

Tickets are available now at the Chargers’ ticket office at Gate C at Qualcomm Stadium, at www.Chargers.com and through TicketMaster at 800-745-3000.

I say it sells out... :tup:

11. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Haha. Pretty clever no? Does the WonderSlug handle have a story behind it?

Yeah that avatar gets more love than anything i would ever type.

12. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    It's a takeoff from a line in an episode from the classic NBC sitcom "Night Court". :yes:

13. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    If we beat the Donkey's I can see it selling out... I'm going and wouldn't miss it for the world no matter the opponent. Special day!

• Like Like x 1
  14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    you are stopping by the tailgate?

15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I think one thing working against it is that it's thanksgiving weekend.

:icon_shrug:

I really don't care, I already got my tickets.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    If the game is blacked-out, Justin.tv here we come! :yes:

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Huh?

[​IMG]

18. RiversRules

RiversRules BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    You got that right!!!

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    You betcha! :) I'm taking my Mom for her (early) Christmas present so she will be with me too.

Yeah - Thanksgiving + KC fans aren't shelling out money to see their team this year... not that I blame them in this economy, at this time of year and when their team is playing so ******.

But, if we spank the Donks I could see lots of local folks picking up tickets last minute - if they can get it to like 2000-2500 tickets unsold, CBS and the Chargers would likely find a way to pick-up the rest and get the game live locally. Fingers crossed!

20. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Zippy the WonderSlug:lol:

21. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    We should know more tomorrow. This is the one game this season that it is too tough for me to attend, so I really hope I can watch it.

22. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    NOM NOM NOM.. hey who said u can post pics of my woman?

23. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Blackout policy a turkey for S.D.

By UNION-TRIBUNE
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009

SAN DIEGO – Here's hoping you get your fill of bird, trimmings and football Thursday, because it now appears as though most of the people in this county hoping to dine at home Sunday on the Chargers-Chiefs game are going to go hungry. Put away the high-def plates and flatware.
    In other words, pun intended, if you want to see this football game, you're going to have to fork over.
    It may sound strange, given the Chargers have won five straight to climb atop the AFC West, but it appears we may have a perfect storm here, a confluence of circumstances that will keep Sunday's game in Qualcomm Stadium invisible to local TV.
    And so the first blackout since San Diego hosted the Saints on Nov. 7, 2004 — 44 home games ago — not only looms, but appears almost certain. As of yesterday, nearly 6,000 of the 56,500 tickets that count toward lifting a blackout had not been sold.
    “As of noon,” Chargers Chief Operating Officer Jim Steeg was saying, “we had sold 180 tickets. My thinking is that, instead of moving 180 by noon, we need to move 180 an hour.
    “It's going to be tough, because there's obviously a day in here (Thanksgiving) where most people are going to be home. And, ironically, a whole lot of them are going to be watching football on TV.”
    There are reasons.
    1. The economy. California is a state with more than 10 percent unemployment, and attending a Chargers game is not an inexpensive proposition. The average seat still available is in the $70-plus range, Steeg says. Going to a game makes for a long, exorbitant day. Plus, the person sitting next to you could be a drunken idiot (of course, that also could happen in your house).
    2. It's Thanksgiving weekend, the busiest travel time of the year, although the final two home games (against Cincinnati and Washington) don't look like best sellers, either. “Going in, we knew the last three would be tough,” Steeg says.
    3. The Chiefs stink. Maybe, if Kansas City were half-decent, they'd get some fans to travel. But, with this being the week it is, added to the visitors' ineptitude, best of luck. Some 15,000 Eagles fans saw that the last San Diego home game was sold out early. The Chiefs aren't the Eagles.
    4. The stadium's too big. Its expansion from just-about-right 63,000 to 70,000 was done purposely to attract Super Bowls. Now the NFL wants nothing to do with it as a Super Site.
    5. Local TV stations and big-money folks aren't as quick to buy the remaining tickets as they used to be. “There's no magic now,” Steeg says. “Even if you get it down to a manageable number, it isn't going away like that. Those people who used to buy up the tickets are hurting, too.”
    6. High-definition TV. Games look better at home than they do in person, and sitting at home is a tad cheaper than being there.
    Let's look at No. 6. HD is great, and just wait until games can be seen in 3-D. I had a chance to check it out last year during Chargers warm-ups, and it makes HD look like a test pattern. Thing is, no matter how wonderful the game looks on your tube, when it isn't on your tube, the new technology isn't doing you much good.
    “Ironic, isn't it?” says Steeg, who likes that word, but it isn't a bad word, in this case.
    By all accounts, the team is more popular among San Diegans than ever. The average Nielsen TV rating for a Chargers game this season is 30.5, up from 26.8 a year ago, meaning that more than 30 percent of county households — more than a million people — are watching.
    Thus far, Steeg says, 12 NFL games have been blacked out this year, most of them in Oakland and Detroit, where the football is bad, and in Jacksonville, where the team is so-so but the market is lousy. In 2008, three games were blacked out at this time.
    The NFL's archaic blackout rule has to be changed. People who want to go to games still will go to games. When Larry Lucchino took over the Padres and suggested saturating the TV market with his product, skeptics thought it folly. It worked.
    Television made the NFL what it is, and when a game can't be seen by people who for whatever reason can't attend — we're talking about 6,000 out of 3 million people around here — it isn't just the fans who suffer. The NFL, which thrives on sponsors also hurting in this economy, also suffers. If this game isn't on TV, at least 1 million San Diegans won't be watching those advertisements.
    Anyway, not even the Chargers' biggest promotion of the year, the live presentation Sunday of 44 of the team's 50 all-time greatest players, has made a dent.
    “There are all kinds of factors,” Steeg says, “but this is kind of a surprise.”
    Sunday's NFL schedule is awful. But Channel 7/39 is showing “Holiday Celebration on Ice” at 1 p.m. Enjoy.

24. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I knew this would be the toughest game of the season to sell out, but I am surprised that we are this likely for a blackout at 7-3.

Looks like I'm going to be scrambling to get a ticket and get back in town for the game.

Is Palm Springs in the Blackout zone? What about Idyllwild?

EDIT: It looks like Palm Springs is outside the zone, and it also looks like Idyllwild gets the Palm Springs CBS... Somehow I need to get confirmation as I will be in Idyllwild for the holiday and it might just be easier to stay put to watch the game then trying to hurry to the stadium.

Re-EDIT: Looks like my best friend Time Warner Cable gives Idyllwild the LA feed of CBS. But over the air I might get Palm Springs. DANGIT! Any ideas would be welcome. I probably need some kind of digital antenna too...

25. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    This sucks! :tdown:

26. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    I remember the last regular season blackout. It was the day my oldest son was born.

Well, I'll be there for this game. Guess I won't have the DVR set. :unsure:

27. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Hmmmm, I am worried about Palm Springs even carrying the game now. Here is a quote from this preseason about the blackout:

The tape-delayed telecast can be seen on KFMB-TV, Channel 8 in San Diego at 10:30 pm and on KCBS-TV, Channel 2 in Los Angeles at 11:30. KMIR-TV, Channel 6 in Palm Springs also will show it at 10:30 pm.

Stations outside the blackout area that will carry the game live include KLAS-TV in Las Vegas; KCOY/KKFX-TV in Santa Barbara; KGMB-TV in Hawaii; KBAK/KBFX-TV in Bakersfield, and KSWT-TV in the Imperial Valley and Yuma, Arizona.

They only mention Palm Springs on the tape delay, not on the other list. Grrrrrrr, I just wish I could get a definitive answer so I can make plans.

EDIT: Looking less like Palm Springs carries the blackout games...

http://www.mydesert.com/article/20091122/SPORTS/911220305/1026/news12

28. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I looked up KPSP Channel 2 in Palm Springs. They have the Chiefs @ Chargers scheduled for live broadcast.

Go here and enter: 92276 in the zip code box. http://www.tvguide.com/listings/default.aspx

29. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I don't see a zip code box on that page...

But anyway, I bet if you put in an SD zip code it would show up as Chargers/Chiefs at that time too. They probably don't worry about the blackout until it is actually blacked out.

30. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    The NFL's archaic blackout rule has to be changed. People who want to go to games still will go to games. When Larry Lucchino took over the Padres and suggested saturating the TV market with his product, skeptics thought it folly. It worked.
    Television made the NFL what it is, and when a game can't be seen by people who for whatever reason can't attend — we're talking about 6,000 out of 3 million people around here — it isn't just the fans who suffer. The NFL, which thrives on sponsors also hurting in this economy, also suffers. If this game isn't on TV, at least 1 million San Diegans won't be watching those advertisements.

This is where the NFL doesn't get it.

:tdown:

• Like Like x 1