1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

83 year old man kills robber

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shamrock, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    God Bless Texas :flag:

They say not to mess with little old Texas ladies, and I guess it should be implied not to screw around with little old Texas men. This happened a few days ago, and I heard about it the next morning, but wanted to wait until it hit the press before mentioning it. A good friend of mine lives directly across the road, and she is very happy to have a neighbor like Mr. Bunte.

The shooting occured about 3 miles from my house. The "little old man" is a WWII vet, Bataan death march survivor, and was a POW for a good chunk of the war. He will not face charges for this incident.

Neighbor, 83, shoots burglar - Wilson County News

03.OCT.07

LA VERNIA Raymond Charles Bunte, 83, shot and killed a burglar who broke into his neighbor’s house at approximately 1:30 p.m. on Sept. 28.

He told deputies from the Wilson County Sheriff’s Office that he heard a loud noise from his neighbor’s house on F.M. 1346, Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr. said. Since he knew his neighbor was at work, Bunte drove his vehicle around his neighbor’s home.

Bunte saw a vehicle he knew shouldn’t be there and blocked it in with his own. He saw that the front door was kicked in and, with 12-gauge shotgun in hand, shouted for the burglars to come outside, Tackitt said.

One suspect ran, but the other, 23-year-old Dustin Brandon Houston, got into his vehicle and tried to run over Bunte.

Bunte fired once, hitting Houston in the head and killing him instantly, Tackitt said. Bunte’s wife flagged a passerby down on the road, who made a call to the police at 1:52 p.m.

Bexar County law-enforcement units and the Texas Rangers assisted Wilson County deputies in the search for the other suspect, identified as Steven Christopher Muniz, 24. Texas Rangers arrested Muniz at 10 p.m. at his home on the south side of San Antonio. He was arrested on outstanding San Antonio warrants for burglary of a habitation. Wilson County has yet to charge him, Tackitt said.

Houston and Muniz had told friends earlier that day they were on their way to commit burglaries in Wilson County, according to Tackitt.

“We think they may have been responsible for a number of burglaries here,” Tackitt said. A number of stolen items were retrieved, but owners have not yet been identified.

~~~~~~~~

I love the comments .....

Reader Opinions

Janet •
    OCT 04 • Thank you Mr. Bunte, we live right down the road. A big thank you to people that don't close there eyes when they see bad things happen. I had a neighbor to run to 2 years ago, because of him the man that attacked me is behind bars for 50 years.

truth •
    OCT 04 • Thank you Mr Bunte for your patronage and service to your community. I have been burglarized twice in 4yrs(in LV ) and would love to get my hands on the crook that took family items that could never be replaced. Mr Bunte deserves a medal for valor and thanks for his actions.

Betty Talamantez, Plano , Texas
    OCT 04 • Mr. Bunte I know this had to be a hard decision. I want to thank you for being a watchful nieghbor. My cousin works long hard hours to provide for the family. It is not the valuables we are thankful for, just the sense of security they had before this day. We would all like to have a watchful and caring nieghbor as you and your wife have been all these years and not just on that trajic day

Scott •
    OCT 04 • Head shot hug, good shooting!

Tony Heaton •
    OCT 03 • I love a happy ending. It is time all law-abiding citizens stand up against criminals. All the police and prosecutors can see to do is let them go. This may be some form of job security.

Bob Thomas •
    OCT 03 • I love stories with a happy ending!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The San Antonio Express News also had a story about Mr. Bunte.

Elderly man shoots, kills suspected burglar

That Grand Jury would be in for an *** kicking if they return an indictment.

Sheriff Tackitt is a good ole boy. A year or two ago, we had a Mtn Lion roaming around La Vernia, killing dogs and cats. He went on the TV news and said, "If y'all see it, just shoot it. Then call us."

• Like Like x 1
  2. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Justice is served. :)

Now if this was the Bay Area the shooter would be the criminal on the local news, etc. :rolleyes:

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
  4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Pretty sure old Ray and me would get along just fine. :yes:

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!! :tup: :flag:

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848

:tup: :tup: :tup: GO MR BUNTE:yes:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup.

If you encounter a burglar in your home, you kill the mofo. No DA would prosecute you for defending yourself in your own home against an intruder.

IF you fight him off, and he gets hurt, but lives, the freakin' lawyers (sorry Ant and Chispa) have it such that he can sue you in civil court for being injured on your property. It doesn't matter that he was trying to rob you at the time.

However, a dead criminal really can't sue can he?

8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    This occured at Mr. Bunte's neighbor's house. He blocked the robber's car with his own car, then shouted inside for them to come out/lay down (varying reports I've heard). One of them ran to the car, and Mr. Bunte stood in front of the robber's car holding his shotgun. When the criminal put his car into gear, Mr. Bunte didn't hesitate - shooting him once in the head.

The car was a deadly weapon. Mr. Bunte protected himself by stopping the operator of the deadly weapon. IMO, he should have the right to shoot him regardless ..... some guys just need killin' ....

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup.

I was referring to a few cases I read about some years back where a burglar broke into this guy's apartment and the apartment resident woke up and encountered him. The burglar was "startled" at being found out and tried to escape, but he tripped over a coffee table (or was it a chair/stool) and tore up his knee and broke his shoulder.

The burglar was arrested but later sued the apartment resident in court because his injuries were a result of the resident's actions. His POS lawyer tried to make the argument that if the resident had simply stayed in bed and let his client continue uninterrupted, he wouldn't have been injured. :icon_evil: :tdown:

10. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Some things just don't make any sense, and that's one of 'em. If someone tries to steal from you (or a neighbor), I firmly believe in using deadly force to deter that crime.

Mr. Bunte's actions should be a wake up call for any other thieves that want to come out to the countryside around San Antonio to commit crimes. We will defend our homes - and our neighbor's homes.

11. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    :icon_rofl: :lol: :icon_rofl:

Youthful mistakes can get you killed. Deservedly dead.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    A youthful mistake is some 16year old kid driving 80 to impress the chick in his car, and getting pulled over.

This dude invaded a residence, and threatened someone with a deadly weapon (a car), for what was likely an attempt to support a drug habit.

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I would have shot him to :conc:

14. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    And you would never have gone over there to begin with right?

And if you WERE there you would have just let the kid run over you with his car right?

And when you are finally cured of that rectal-cranial inversion you will hear a loud "POP" right?

Sorry Leisure - I just couldn't resist. :lol: :yes:

15. sdbound

sdbound New Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Please tell me that you don't vote.

16. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I'm going to purchase some property in Texas someday because of stuff like this. :yes:

Had this happened in the Bay Area everything about this story would be so different including the reported story itself.

Talk about a populace being fed a bunch of manure...... :lol:

We get the government we deserve.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

19. chiefsgal

chiefsgal New Member

Ratings:
    +443
    yes yes yes........god bless texas...I love it here......:tup: :icon_banana:

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Good luck with that.

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That dog ain't gonna hunt here.

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member