1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

#90 Antwan Applewhite

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 15, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Position: LB
    College: San Diego State
    Height: 6-3
    Weight: 246
    Experience: 1
    Acquired: FA-'07
    Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Apllewhite has been giveing decent performances on special teams most of the year, including about 3 big stops against the Jets this season.

last night he seemed to be around the ball on most plays and made some crucial stops. He is big, a good hitter but not the faastest LB we have. I think he could be a young Foley, a hitter that closes down the middle of the field.

Any of you got any thoughts on this kid?

2. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,683
    I like him - Mr. Sydalish calls him "Applesauce" b/c that's what he makes the people he hits :lol:

I liked what I saw of him in pre-season, he's got a motor and he makes plays. For example, his helmet was the one that popped out the ball on that on-side kick yesterday ;)

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    He has impressed me. There was one play where I saw him running toward the sideline to get involved in a play and he looked real quick to me. Anyone have any of his measurables in terms of speed?...

He seems like a tryer anyway and not someone content to show up and collect his paycheck ala Castillo (this guy is looking worse by the week imho) and Wilhelm. :icon_evil:

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Backup at best who won't have a place when Merriman gets back

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    also, in b4 Aztec Fanboi Mafia

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    My son says "Papple"

He's not yet 2... so we're working on it.

I bet by the time he pronounces it properly... Mr. Applewhite will be some other team's problem. :icon_tease:

8. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    Why are you listing him as a problem Nick? I say we are going to keep him.

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    He's a decent number 2 option. I just don't think he is all that good. Granted he seemed to be around the ball often, but so did Weddle, actually Weddle really is around the ball often - that is his job as a free safety. Also the chiefs seemed to be running right at him so that could explain that. Now if he had a few pressured QB stats or sacks then I'd be on board.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,171
    .5 sacks in the few games he has played. Not super stats, but he is defending the middle of the field more than rushing the passer.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He looks a helluva lot better than our resident ballerina & contact-avoidance artist, Matt Wilhelm.

What a POS. :icon_evil: He & Cooper both can hit the road.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol: I'm just messin' Conc.

On the other hand, when I asked my boy to pronounce "Wil-Helm" he said it perfectly: "***-HOLE" :lol:

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    Cooper is at least showing he has talent, he would have, at the minimum, the ability to be a solid LB and at best have some great trade value.
    Wilhelm, like i said, just send his *** to Detroit

14. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30
    I like this kid's motor. He sure popped Bowe yesterday and knocked the ball loose. From what I have seen, he's not afraid to hit, his speed looks good and as someone else said, looks like Foley. I say keep him and give more time and send Wilhelm packing.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    No worries I'm sure AJ has seen what he can do and is in the process of giving him a six-year contract. :unsure:

• Like Like x 1
  16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :lol:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Just another shot across Merriman's bow. :icon_twisted: :lol:

18. montanabolthead

montanabolthead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +30

I don't think so. This season and Merriman being out showed how much of a force SM is and how much of leader he is on defense. I think AJ has learned a few lessons about letting people go too soon (Turner, Welker, Brees).

• Like Like x 1
  19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll believe it when I see it. Until someone reins aJ in, he's gonna continue to run things HIS WAY. That's his arrogance getting the best of his intelligence.

20. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    AA maybe be pretty good in the middle before long. He's hard nosed and strong. I really, really hope AJ isn't developing Beatharditis.

21. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I mentioned this guy earlier said to keep an eye on him.

He is a decent backup, however I think even when Merriman comes back he will be in rotation most likely setup on some blitzes and back in coverage.

He has a couple of QB pressures, although he gets washed. In the Saints Charger game he was called with that BS roughing the QB penalty.

Applewhite has a lot of upside, fast, strong, football intelligent with a good eye for the ball. He has been very good in special teams and in the running game. As a pass rusher he is alright.