1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

a big huge if

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Sorry, I´m tired of talking about Weddle, relocation, et. I want to focus on 2015, so...

IF

1) The OL becomes a solid unit (with very few injuries)
    2) Floyd and Allen get 140-150 receptions, 1800-2000 yards and 12-14 touchdowns between them
    3) Stevie Johnson is revitalized and exceeds Royal's output
    4) Gordon runs for 1100-1200 yards ans scores 8-10 tds (while keeping the defense honest)
    5) Gates plays like Gates
    6) Green contributes some
    7) Rivers goes for 32+ td (with +20 td/int ratio), 4000 yds and 67% completion

8) Ingram/Attaouch get 18-20 sacks between them (both stay healthy)
    9) Flowers/Verret become one of the best CB duos in the league (Verret stays healthy)
    10) Liuget takes the next step
    11) Reyes finds a step
    12) Carreathers becomes a solid NT
    13) Butler rebounds, Te'o becomes a star and Perryman a DROY candidate
    14) Weddle plays like Weddle

Lots of ifs, but, does this team have enough to win a championship?

P.S. I won't count on #11

2. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Considering the kind of "MASH" unit this team was last season and they still had 9 wins, I'd say yeah they have a shot.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Defense and Health. If these two can come thru for us we'll win a Super Bowl.

4. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Great thread to take mind off of the everyday Charger's BS.
    But #8? You sorta kinda lost me at that one.
    In general, if all those things come together, and Lady Luck is on our side, and the refs don't job us, hell yeah.

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    1-7 on your list seem like reasonable expectations. The occurrence of number 3 might serve to limit the numbers set forth in number 2.

8 seems unlikely due to both players having health issues in their limited careers and neither player having emerged as a top 20 type pass rusher, which is the level both would have to average collectively to get to the 18-20 sack range.

9 seems likely for as long as both players remain healthy. Flowers usually misses a couple of games per year and Verrett's shoulder issues are a real concern going forward (could be a chronic problem since it has occurred two seasons in a row). But when they are on the field, they are good.

10 may occur to a limited degree, but he has already had 4 years to develop, so I have limited expectations for improvement by Liuget.

Regarding 11, I think Reyes should only be used on 3rd and 4th and long pass only situations. He is a total liability versus the run. I would consider cutting him and have no interest in the team re-signing him.

Regarding 12, I like our chances here. I think Carrethers will step up. He would be my week 1 starter and I would start Lissemore opposite Liuget. I think that is the only DL player combination we have that can be effective in the long term versus the run.

Regarding 13, it is difficult to imagine Butler playing worse, so hopefully there will be at least a partial rebound. I do not think Te'o ever had the ability to be a star, but hopefully he can improve to the point where he can become at least an average ILB and not a draft bust. I think Perryman will be the best of the bunch in short order. It would be great and entirely possible to see him in the DROY discussion, but I think that only happens if he unseats Butler or Te'o for a starting position early in the season. Otherwise, he won't get enough snaps to make enough of an impression in that discussion.

Regarding 14, there is sunrise, sunset and air to breathe...and Weddle will be Weddle.

I like our chances to be a playoff team, which always gives us a chance to win it all, but I wouldn't consider us a favorite among contenders because I see too many holes/lack of depth. I will refrain from further discussion about why that is so.

6. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Regardless of how we are, I always feel good about the team winning with Rivers back there. Last year prior to Mathews going down in the 3rd I felt we had that Patriots game. So if all those things happen, I would say yes I like our chances of winning. I do hope Novak can get some extra leg on kickoffs and we find a deep threat receiver other than the aging (soon to be retired) Floyd, but I feel confident in my team.

Alot of your Ifs also arent crazy expectations. 1-7 are believable.
    #8 is not impossible, but its a bit of a stretch. They both have the potential to get 9-10, but I'll say you have to add another rotation guy to get there. Which ultimately really depends on Carreathers being a dominant or at least competent NT.

Unlike others I believe in Butler and think he will have a bounce back year. Hopefully he stays healthy. A couple years back on this same forum we were calling him one of the best young ILB. I still think he can be that guy.

The other stuff I see are very doable. We still lack some depth and impact players, so it would be hard to be viewed as dominant, but regardless of the team we put on the field, when we have our core guys we always find ways to be in and win games (minus when we play in Miami for God knows what reason). So with our core and everyone else, hell, why not??

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Players will get injured. It's apart of the NFL. It's how you rebound from those injuries and how your coaching staff can adapt to those changes. Look at the last two Super Bowl winners, Patriots and Seahawks, both teams had some big injuries on both sides of the ball throughout their Super Bowl winning season. It happens, you have to rebound and your coaching staff has to adjust and develop as well.

Those are some huge what ifs. I think this team has strengthened themselves via the trenches. Look at our OL/DL last year compared to this year. Looks a lot better in terms of talent and depth. That is key I believe.

The DB's don't scare me. They'll be fine, unless something seriously goes wrong with Weddle. But again, the weakness of this team will be the play of the LB's. Butler and Te'o have to turn a corner this year. I like Perryman, I think he'll give us a thumper up the middle, but he can't cover and neither can Butler. And a pass rushing group consisting of Ingram, Attaochu, Williams, Law and Emmanuel doesn't really give me a lot of hope. I felt like we needed a veteran here, but Telesco seems to differ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Ok, let's adjust #8 : 14 - 16 sacks between them, they both have the talent to do it

#11 was a joke (hence the PS) I'm hoping that Mathews takes his starting job

9. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    #15 Scifres is back to form ;)

10. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    And to elaborate on that... Donald Brown not back there trying to "protect" him