1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A capless season?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by EsDee_in_RI, May 25, 2008.

1. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    The cap is the reason NFL is a million times better than the MLB!!! I don't want Dallas and NY to have all the fun. SD would never be able to compete.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We need the cap to keep the parity of the teams in place. There's no room for Steinbrenner-type activity in the NFL, IMO. Let's keep the playing field as level as possible for all teams, not just the large-market ones.

3. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    While I agree a capless season would be bad. It wouldn't be as bad as baseball due to the special rules in place for the capless season.

For one, players wouldn't be unrestricted until after 6 years of service

Each team could use TWO transtion AND a franchise tag

Plus an extra rule I will copy from P King's article on the matter to help with parity.

RESTRICTIONS FOR THE TOP EIGHT TEAMS IN FOOTBALL: If the uncapped year is reached, the teams with the best eight records in football in 2009 will be severely restricted from jumping into the pool. It's still not precisely determined how the system would work, but let's say the Patriots are one of the top eight and want to sign a free-agent to a five-year, $20-million contract. They'd have to lose their own player or players to contracts totaling $20 million before they could sign the free-agent they want. Conceptually, that's how this clause in the deal is going to work, but the exact mechanics of it are not clear yet. The purpose is very clear: The best teams are going to have tight leashes in free agency. And I can tell you from talking to a few traditionally good teams at the league meetings last week, they're not happy about it.

Frankly I don't think this system is beneficial to owners or players, and is designed to bring both back to the table

• Like Like x 1
  4. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Exactly what I was thinking.

While were at it, if I had my way all rookies would be making a entry level wage. The big bucks will come their way if they prove their worth.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    WORD!!! :tdown: :icon_evil:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    It's like 2 years away.

Let's win a couple Super Bowls first, then worry about it.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The owners could dump the current deal in November I believe...

8. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Yeah, but it doesnt go into effect until 2010, which is 2 seasons away.

I don't know why people are getting worked up about it. There won't be a work stoppage, and I highly doubt we'll ever see a capless year. IMO it's pointless.

:icon_shrug:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This is valuable info. props. This could mean trouble for us, unless the provisions restrict raiding other teams as opposed to signing those belonging to a given team's roster.

10. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Where have you been? They dumped the current deal last week.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

12. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Just a minor question.

Why would a capless season be a disadvantage for San Diego? Isn't Spanos a billionaire? Why wouldn't he be able to spend just as much as other teams?

13. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    He is loaded, but NY, Dallas, even the Broncos have a huge fan base. If the cap went away then most likely the NFL merchandise shared revenue would go as well...IMO. Then big name teams that sell a lot of merchandise and have crazy ticket prices and they can afford all the big name players. We have issues selling out the playoffs....they wouldn't be able to charge the kind of money the big teams do.

Good example....the Padres.

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Baseball and football are like Apples and Oranges. There is no cap in baseball and the revenue sharing doesn't compare at all with the NFL. Moores can actually afford to spend more on the Padres than he does, he just won't. We have no need to go raiding other team's rosters, anyway. We just need to stay in tact. Besides, two seasons from now is a long time and a lot of risk to everyone on the roster. Any one player whose contracts are under discussion right now could have a completely altered status in two years. Not only that, given AJ's knack for drafting, we could be in an entirely different set of roster priorities. I would advocate signing one of these guys per season in the next two years and then getting last two when the cap is off-easier said than done.

15. EsDee_in_RI

Ratings:
    +133
    I agree