1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

**** a child, pay with your life, Louisiana argues

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wrbanwal, Apr 15, 2008.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'LL FLIP THE SWITCH YOU LOW LIFE SCUM BAG

:icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/15/****.execution/index.html

ANGOLA, Louisiana (CNN) -- He is not a killer, but the state of Louisiana is determined to execute Patrick Kennedy for his crime.

Patrick Kennedy, 43, is on Louisiana's death row for the **** of his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

The New Orleans native faces that reality as he sits on death row at Louisiana's maximum security prison, the largest prison in the nation. The Louisiana State Penitentiary, or Angola Prison, is the size of Manhattan and surrounded on three sides by the Mississippi River.

Unlike the 3,300 inmates awaiting execution nationwide -- including the 94 other men at Angola -- Kennedy, 43, is a convicted rapist. The victim was his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

For the first time in 44 years, a state is preparing to execute a man for a felony other than murder. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments Wednesday on whether Louisiana can use capital punishment in child **** cases.

The constitutional question before the justices is whether the death penalty for violent crimes other than homicide constitutes "cruel and unusual" punishment. The high-profile examination of the death penalty also raises anew a national debate over selective prosecution and race.

"A lot of people think there should not be the death penalty [in this case] because the child survives," said Kate Bartholomew, a sex crimes prosecutor in New Orleans. "In my opinion the **** of a child is more heinous and more hideous than a homicide."

Kennedy's appellate attorney, Billy Sothern, argues, "When we look at what it means to be cruel and unusual, this is exactly the kind of thing that raises these serious concerns of the constitutionality of Mr. Kennedy's death sentence."

Kennedy was sentenced to die in 2003 for sexually assaulting his stepdaughter in her bed. The crime occurred in a quiet neighborhood in Harvey, across the big river from New Orleans. Besides severe emotional trauma, Louisiana prosecutors said the attack caused internal injuries and bleeding to the child, requiring extensive surgery.

The former moving company driver had claimed two teenage boys committed the crime near the family's garage, a story the girl -- identified in court papers as "L.H." -- repeated for 18 months after the ordeal.

An African-American teenager was initially arrested, based on Kennedy's allegations, but later was cleared of any wrongdoing. Kennedy also is African-American.

Police in Jefferson Parish quickly turned their suspicions on him as the attacker.

The girl later accused her stepfather, after she returned home from a temporary stay in foster care. Kennedy has denied the charges, but the state supreme court upheld the conviction and punishment.

The U.S. Supreme Court, both in 1976 and a year later, banned capital punishment for **** -- and by implication any other crime except murder. But Louisiana 19 years later passed a law allowing execution for the sexual violation of a child under 12. State lawmakers contended the earlier high court cases pertained only to "adult women."

Death penalty opponents say Louisiana is the only state to actively pursue lethal injection for child rapists, and argue, among other things, that it could give attackers a reason to murder their victims.

"If they're going to face the death penalty for raping a child, why would they leave a living witness?" said Judy Benitez, executive director of the Louisiana Foundation against Sexual Assaults.

Benitez also says testifying in a death penalty case can be deeply traumatic for child. And the risk of wrongful prosecution may be higher is such cases since children might prove to be unreliable witnesses for the prosecution, because of their susceptibility to suggestive, leading questions.

No one in the United States has been executed for **** since 1964. Other state and federal crimes theoretically eligible for execution include treason, aggravated kidnapping, drug trafficking, aircraft hijacking and espionage. None of these crimes have been prosecuted as a capital offense in decades, if ever.

In the appeal filed with the high court, Sothern argues Louisiana "flouts the overwhelming national consensus that capital punishment is an inappropriate penalty for any kind of ****."

The law's supporters counter that besides murder, no crime is more deserving of the death penalty, and the punishment would be used only in the most heinous of circumstances.

For its victims, "It takes away their innocence, it takes away their childhood, it mutilates their spirit. It kills their soul. They're never the same after these things happen," said Bartholomew, an assistant district attorney in Orleans Parish.

"Louisiana has been a pro-death penalty state for a very long time," the prosecutor added. "And I think a lot of people agree with the death penalty for this type of case here in our state."

Five other states have similar laws. Four of them -- Florida, Montana, Oklahoma and South Carolina -- have had them for years but not applied them in decades. Texas enacted its version in June, but no defendant has yet been designated death-eligible for child **** in any state but Louisiana.

Skin color has also played a role in the political and legal debate over expanding capital crimes to include ****.

"When we look at the death penalty in the South we always need to be conscious of the role that race plays," said Sothern, deputy director at the Capital Appeals Project, which represents all the state's death row inmates. "And I think that the fact that Mr. Kennedy [is] a black from Jefferson Parish, a place with a troubling record of racial discrimination, I think that that speaks volumes."

Sothern cites Department of Justice statistics showing that all 14 rapists executed by Louisiana in the past 75 years were African-American. Nationwide from 1930 to 1964, nearly 90 percent of executed rapists were black, he said.

Kennedy recently was joined on Louisiana's death row by another child rapist -- Richard Davis, who is white. Davis' legal appeals have barely begun.

The justices will no doubt consider loneliness of Louisiana's aggressive position when deciding whether a national consensus now exists to allow a broader range of crimes to become subject to capital punishment. The high court has in recent years banned execution for the mentally retarded, underage killers and those receiving an inadequate defense at trial.

Angola prison officials would not make Kennedy available for comment.

The youngster at the center of the case is now in college and wants to be a lawyer. Her family says that like most underage victims, she has been scarred forever, and they believe her assailant deserves the jury's punishment.

"It's going to be justice," said Lynn Ray, the victim's cousin. "It's going to be that she can look forwards and not backwards, and not have to look over your shoulders, and one day see him. Or see him coming after her."

A ruling from the high court is expected by late June. E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

• Like Like x 3
  2. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97
    I've got no problem with giving that guy the death penalty. Hell, I believe all rapists should be eligible for the death penalty at the federal level.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Save the tax dollars and bullshit lawyers fees and take him out and put a $.25 bullet in his head.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Game123

Game123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +97

Better yet, in the interest of Justice, turn him over to the victim/victim's family to do as they please.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +631
    That is too easy...for him.

Razor blades and lamp cord can be used in very creative ways. :icon_twisted:

$20 for the supplies and the power bill.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    word

• Like Like x 1
  7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    If he did this to one my kids, this guy wouldn't make it to trial. It's been proven that once a child molestor, always a child molestor. Either flip the switch or castrate their asses.

• Like Like x 1
  8. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I am not sorry for this at all.

Just put the fool to death or have an inmate put the hit on his sorry A$$.:icon_evil:

I hate Child Molesters period. :tdown:

9. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I say BARBECUE their asses.............there's no reforming or rehabilitating child rapists of any stripe, just fry 'em and be done with 'em!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Right on. I would take it one step further. I would harvest the sickos organs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Yeah.......but you'd better do it before the BBQ is lit.:yes: Hmmmmmmmm.......harvesting organs BEFORE execution in the case of child rapists could be an idea whose time has come!
    :icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,601
    I might be jewish but if your taking the organs out of a horrid sick **** to put in people, i'd get a priest and perform an exorcism on every organ just for safety's sake

still the premise sounds good

13. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Rid this earth of sickos.....how could you look at an 8 year old girl and do that? :no: Bastard

14. Chelsea

Chelsea Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +703
    Do not even get me started on this subject. I think I was banned like 15 times at the UT forum during the Westerfield debacle. SOB's should get the same treatment they gave their victims.
    Like that freak of life John Couey. What he did to Jessica Lunsford is beyond despicable. His *** should be buried alive.....same as he did to that beautiful little girl. Perhaps he can maybe choose his stuffed animal of choice to join him in green garbage bags as he slowly dies.
    ****! I gotta stop it.
    Okay....one more thing about that dirt-bag Couey. Watching that sub-humane POS sit in court everyday with his ****ing crayons and paper about put me over the edge. Trying to pretend he is retarded? Fer the love of Christ.

15. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Sad…not much more to say. Vigilante justice may be the only way to protect this girl from future pain; I don’t say this lightly.

16. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Way sad.
    Think Danielle van Dam, Carlie Brucia, Samantha Runnion, Jessica Lunsford and countless more victims. :no:

17. Chelsea

Ratings:
    +703
    Dead children at the hands of freaks.:no::no::no: