1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A closer look at San Diego's stadium advisory group

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    ESPN

SAN DIEGO -- Focused on keeping the group small, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer recently announced his nine-member citizens stadium advisory group that will study potential locations and a finance plan in building a new stadium for the San Diego Chargers.

Here’s a closer look at the members of that group.

Doug Barnhart: Chairman of Barnhart-Reese Construction, Barnhart is a long-time resident of San Diego and a business leader. He is a past member of the Qualcomm Stadium Advisory Board, and has served as a board member for the Greater San Diego Chamber of Commerce, San Diego International Sports Council and past San Diego Super Bowl Committees. Barnhart’s construction companies have built local landmarks like Petco Park, San Diego and Lindbergh Field Terminal 2.

Rod Dammeyer: A private equity investor, Dammeyer is chairman of CAC, a private capital investment company. He is a member of the boards of directors of Stericycle, Inc., and Quidel Corporation, and a trustee of Invesco Funds. A graduate of Kent State University, Dammeyer first worked at Arthur Andersen & Co. where he became partner and chairman of its advisory council.

Adam Day: A California State University trustee, Day is a veteran public administration executive with experience managing municipal services, government relations, community outreach, and multi-million dollar charitable and media campaigns. Day also serves as assistant tribal manager for the Sycuan Tribe, directing government, public and community relations on behalf of the Sycuan Tribe and their affiliated business entities.

Walt Ekard: A former chief administrative officer for the county of San Diego, Ekard was also the chief operating officer for the city of San Diego. Ekard managed a workforce of more than 16,000 employees and an annual budget of $5 billion. Ekard is from San Diego, attended San Diego State University and holds a law degree from the University of San Diego law school.

Aimee Faucett: Chief operating officer for the San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce, Faucett has worked in San Diego's legislative and executive branches for 18 years. She volunteers on several nonprofit boards. Prior to joining the San Diego Regional Chamber, Faucett was the deputy chief of staff to former Mayor Jerry Sanders, and also served as chief of staff to former San Diego City Councilmembers Kevin L. Faulconer and Jim Madaffer.

Jason Hughes: He is president and CEO of Hughes Marino, a commercial real estate company in Southern California. Hughes has worked in San Diego’s commercial real estate industry for 26 years, and was appointed as special assistant for real estate services to the City of San Diego in 2013. Hughes represents approximately three quarters of all corporate tenants downtown, and negotiated some of the largest tenant leases and purchases in the region.

Jessie Knight: He serves as executive vice president of Sempra Energy, and board chairman of San Diego Gas & Electric Co.; chairman of Southern California Gas Co., an affiliate of SDG&E; and executive vice president of external affairs for Sempra Energy. Knight was also president and chief executive officer of the San Diego Regional Chamber for seven years.

Mary Lydon: The executive Director of the Urban Land Institute -- San Diego-Tijuana, Lydon is experienced in land-use planning and real estate. She has worked with private developers, public agencies and nonprofit organizations. Lydon is a former planning commissioner for the city of San Diego, and led several nonprofit boards. Lydon attended Harvard's school of government and completed their executive program in 2010. She also holds a bachelor’s degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.

Jim Steeg: A former NFL executive who is credited with turning the Super Bowl into a week-long event, Steeg has 36 years of experience at the NFL, 26 of those in charge of Super Bowls. He worked in 70 major stadiums in the United States and around the world and has expertise dealing with local government and business leaders.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I just don't see anything getting done.

I wish the Chargers & NFL would just buy land and build an NFL stadium as a show boat / Super Bowl home. Lease land from SD if necessary, but own it would be better. Move the ProBowl around, and make the SB a permanent SD game.

3. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    :roflmao: You seem like someone who can take great advantage of some prime ocean front real estate my family owns up in Uranus. We need the money and can offer fabulously insane deals if you can close within 30 days :roflmao:

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    DONT TAKE MY DREAMS FROM ME!

• Like Like x 1
  5. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    The fact that Spanos got butt-hurt about St. Louis shopping Smell-A (allegedly) speaks volumes to me.
    Spanos is a greasy weasel and he's not to be trusted......he's all about business and making money., he doesn't give a crap about the fan-base......he'll just get a whole new one in Smell-A. :tdown: :poop:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Then dont trust him. If you think any owner is not out to make money you are fooling yourself. If you think that he has not been trying to stay in SD, and that is in part because of the fans then you are equally fooling yourself. One does not try and get things worked out for 16 years thinking 'all I have to do is get out of SD and all is awesome'...

7. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
  8. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +61
    I'm glad a bunch of unelected rich dudes (and dudettes) will decide San Diego's stadium situation. More proof that my lazy decision to stop voting hasn't done anybody any harm.

9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Chargers’ message to San Diego: Put up or shut up
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 16, 2015, 3:27 PM EST
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    The Chargers will meet with the committee that has been formed to explore the building of a new stadium in San Diego. The Chargers also have publicly released their comments to the committee.

In their remarks, the Chargers were direct and blunt (and some would say maybe even a little condescending) regarding their expectations when it comes to any ideas to be proposed by San Diego — and regarding a long-time Plan B that possibly has become Plan A.

“We are keeping a close eye on developments in L.A.,” the Chargers said in their remarks to the committee. “We do not have a choice but to also monitor and evaluate our options there. Simply put, it would be irresponsible for the Chargers not to be taking every possible step to protect the future of the franchise.”

The Chargers also made clear their belief that 20 years without a team in Los Angeles has helped the franchise make significant inroads there, with 25 percent of the season-ticket holders coming from L.A. County and Orange County.

“Simply put, it would not be fair to the Chargers — a team that has worked for 14 years to find a stadium solution in San Diego County — to allow other teams that themselves abandoned the LA market to now return and gut the Chargers’ local revenue stream,” the Chargers told the committee, which has no power over whether teams other than the Chargers move to L.A.

A full reading of the summary and the entire remarks leads to one conclusion: The Chargers want San Diego to put up or shut up. The Chargers definitely don’t want San Diego to simply try to come up with a flimsy, hollow proposal so that the politicians can say an effort was made.

That attitude will make the Chargers leery of any proposal that emerges, quick to point out the flaws and to argue that the politicians are merely trying to ensure that the Chargers, not the people who periodically are up for re-election, will be blamed if the Chargers leave.

It’s all pointing to the Chargers eventually (or sooner) becoming one of the teams to move to L.A, with the other remaining question being whether the other team that moves there is the Rams or the Raiders.

Permalink 58 Comments [​IMG] Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories

It's news.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Oh well, San Diego will be without pro football soon it sounds like. I just hope they can still get that other league going at least Dego would be open and the Murph would need something happening there.

11. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    So, Fabiani says the stadium is likely to cost more than 1.2-1.5 Billion estimated, WTF, I thought thit thing was gonna be 1B max. Also, he says don't count on using PSL, or naming rights money for the build, they will go ahead and take that for their operating costs. Not sure what they think they'll get out of LA tax payers, or if Kroenke builds a dual stadium. I guess their franchise will be worth more being in LA, so it's a win-win for them. I always thought I'd still root for the bolts if they move, but now I may have to root against the Spanos family, revel in their teams mediocrity. I guess they got me, they are pretty rich, lighting cigars with $1,000 bills.:(

12. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Translation:......
    "We're tired of San Diego and their bullsh*t pipe dreams.....we can't make the revenue with a new stadium here anyway........so we're outta here".

That's what I got out of it anyway.......:(:poop::tdown:

13. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I heard on CBS 8 that the Chargers claim that 25% of their season ticket holders are from LA, an statistic which I find very hard to believe, even if one bunches OC ticket holders with LA! Personally I don't attend games for a multitude of reasons so I don't want to make it a practice to try to represent that San Diego's fan base! However, I not only think that the Chargers are tired of the City's seeming "ineptitude", but they also must firmly believe that from a business aspect, there are much greener pastures ahead of them north of this County. In other words, they will throw the ardent SD fan base under the proverbial bus should the LA's traffic light turn green.

As for me, I must be suffering from an acute case of the Stockholm Syndrome because I will be remaining a fan of this team probably till some of the current veteran players are still on the roster, even if they sell out and move! As for the ownership, I don't care and haven't done so for the cabal which owns the team as I neither respect their politics nor their business acumen, so divorcing them in the long term will not be an issue for me personally!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    the team is smart. they know this is DOA and the politicians will be painting the team as the villain. look at the tweets already emerging from the group. calling Fabs worse than Leaf?? c'mon...
    i for one will not blame them when they move.
    SD has no one to blame. this should've gotten done in the early 2000s when times were good but SD business and politicians were all too concerned with not "giving" the QUALCOMM waste dump away for condos.
    how f'n stupid does that look now??
    stay classy without a NFL team SD.
    bravo

15. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  16. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    What have the Chargers done? I don't understand this process, Fabiani keeps mentioning the Chargers have spent 10million over the last decade, that is pennies, even for a poor billionaire like Spanos, and I am talking about Alex, Dean is just next male air up, like Fredo. The city of San Diego, as per Fabiani, spends 15 million a year on up keep, so that is 150 million over same span. Chargers spent 10m, how much have they made here in that time? Likewise the city? I know this situation is not that simple, but that is how he is phrasing it. I am being naive but I have never really heard any scenario, except, basically we give the Chargers mission valley about a decade ago, and they will develop it, and build adjoining stadium. Sounds like the Chargers want something for nothing, they havent even said how much they will pitch in, and will be taking PSL, and naming rights. This is such a strange process for a successful multi billion dollar industry, while I will vote for a stadium funding intiative, it is easy to see why most will not. Remember they pretty much robbed the city of San Diego with the ticket guarantee, how much money did they make from that?

17. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    NFL teams are an asset to a City/Area. They are like any other large business, they look for the best deal and location for their operations. Some companies get tax breaks, NFL teams usually get help with stadiums. The Chargers will kick in money (I don't know what the latest is but like $200/300 mil) and so will the NFL (might be a loan but it removes it from requiring taxpayer contribution). Quibbling about the benefit to the community in terms of money is silly because there is a market for these teams, City's want them, want them bad. So trying to identify whether it'll make money misses the point. The loss of the Chargers will be remembered for generations in SD and don't think you're Cleveland or Baltimore, the NFL isn't going to come back after all this BS. Once they're gone, they're gone.
    The gap is not that large when dealing with a municipality the size of SD. Think about all of those school bond measures voted on in the past. A small facility school bond is usually in the $500 mil neighborhood. $500 mil 'aint what is used to be, it's doable, but the process is still hamstrung by the business and political communities of SD.
    I think they think the Chargers will never leave. They are wrong.
    The Chargers are going all in, they aren't going to let platitudes and BS fly anymore. It's get something serious going or don't waste more of our time.
    Sounds like the mayor is willing to let them go.
    Way to sh i t la cama SD.

18. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    FYI: I am not in the camp, that something has to pay off, or make lots of money, or the city needs to come up on top. I understand the intirinsic implications. What cities want an NFL team, realistically, ie has funding about to put a shovel in the ground for 1.2-1.5 B stadium? (other than LA) I know this isnt scientific, but just googling maps of current NFL territories, doesnt seem like there is much wiggle room to squeeze another team in somewhere. The Vermont Chargers? :p

From Fabiani, the new stadium will cost more than 1.2-1.5 B, I think our share will be more than 200-300 M. Ps, not trying to have an internet pissing contest (not saying anyone else is) the SAN DIEGO Chargers future seems dim, trying to figure out what the **** is going on. :D

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    While I've always said that the city should've done more in the past
    (which is unfair to lay at the feet of a new mayor)
    Fabiani's current tone is inappropriate and counter-productive.

I can only hope that he's slightly off the reservation, here, because if his
    latest remarks and attitude accurately represent ownership,
    then San Diego is screwed and we're losing our team.

20. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Why isn't the county involved in all of this? I have no confidence that the city can get this done, and the voters there will never vote for it.

Remember when the Chargers offered to pay for the whole damn thing in exchange for some land to recoup their costs? But the "why should we give land to billionaires...WAAAAAH" people didn't want that.

There are only 32 teams in the biggest sport in the country for a city to call theirs. San Diego has one, but it's starting to look like that might not be the case for much longer.

21. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +61
    Well fellas. This is the third Chargers board in a matter of a couple months I'm banning myself from. The board is great, but I no longer can stomach being a fan of anything associated with the NFL.

The only thing the city of San Diego should build for the league is a giant statue of my fat, hairy ***.

22. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
    The sky is falling:

th_Chicken-Little.gif

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
  24. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,734
  25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Toodles....

• Like Like x 1
  26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    With the exception that this place is like Hotel California, unless your name is OZ :D

There's your hint as to get permanent banishment ;)

27. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh no you didant! *snap* *snap* *snap*

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Don't know where this mess is leading to, it just isn't looking very promising with all the fighting going on right now. I'll hold out hope until the moving vans are being loaded and start making their way out of San Diego County.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Can't we get Zsa Zsa Gabor to slap all parties involved and then move forward?