1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A closer look: Brandon Lang

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 1 hour ago
    6-3-2010

Lang’s path to the NFL shows resolve, but he still must transition from defensive end to outside linebacker.

SAN DIEGO – Rookie linebacker Brandon Lang[​IMG] was used to being a superstar.
    The self-described jock wandered the halls of Tucker High School in Tucker, Ga., one of the most coveted prep athletes in the state.
    Some of college football’s biggest programs recruited him, but he picked the hometown Georgia Bulldogs over a host of SEC schools, USC, Nebraska and Florida State.
    Lang seemed destined to catch the attention of NFL scouts. But he never made it to Athens, Ga. His standardized academic test scores weren’t high enough to qualify him out of high school.
    Six years later, he must overcome long odds to earn his keep as an undrafted free agent if he wants to emerge as a headliner for the Chargers.
    “In my circumstance, nothing was ever given to me,” Lang said. “Always work hard at what you do and eventually you’ll come out on top.”
    He believes the block of time that saw him drift off the national radar and forced him to learn resolve has prepared him well.
    He launched his college career at Hargrave Military Academy in Chatham, Va., weaving into Division I football at Troy University as a defensive end.
    Following Pro Bowl alumni DeMarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora, Lang stormed to 18 sacks as a junior and senior.
    But that stretch followed a torn ACL in 2007 that limited him to three games.
    “You’ve got to go through (tough times) to really make you appreciate what you have,” Lang said. “I feel like early in my career, I’ve been through a lot, from battling injuries to getting eligible and all that. So when I finally got the chance to have it all in line, everything’s been going (well) ever since.”
    Lang admits with a giddy grin that he loves getting after the quarterback, but he’s willing to prepare to handle new responsibilities as a linebacker or on special teams. Pre-draft analysts viewed him as an ideal candidate to transition to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, because at 6-foot-3, 266 pounds, his strength becomes a plus at that position.
    “My mindset is just to come in here and work hard (and) just show these coaches what I can do and how I can help this team out in any dimension,” Lang said.
    “I can work on being more technically sound. It’s a new position for me, but I look up to the older guys that are here and follow their footsteps on how to carry myself out there.”

2. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    honestly i think if merriman stays one season and takes this kid under his wing, english is out the pictre because this kid is a beast,high motor,taller,weighs more, and he will get the sacks, say hello to our demarcus ware

3. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    You can't have enough 3-4 OLB'ers, so I am excited we are giving this kid a shot, hopefully he opens some eyes at TC. I think its a little early to be making Demarcus Ware pronouncements however! He better be a special teams demon this year.

4. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    haha i know its early for a comparison as bold as that, im just so high and excited for this kid to be a charger, honestly he can wreck offences i think, he will be a beast

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Here's hoping that he produces

6. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    im hoping to, i want him to be a beast

7. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    You're dreaming.

I hope you're right, but you're dreaming.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Why? Because he went to the same school?

Lang has talent but don't expect this type of leap.

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    no not because he went to the same school, but because im a fan of troy, and ive watched this kid play he's a beast he might not jump in the beginning but im really high on this kid, to take english spot and maybe merriman

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I agree that he played well at Troy. I just don't think that he's going to make the type of leap that you're describing.

I hope I'm wrong because Shawne is likely gone after 2010.

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    i don't think that he will make the jump the rookie season, but he will definitely push english out and tucker, he will be right behind merriman, but i honestly do think if we lose merriman this kid will be starting, and he could cause problems..I have watched his foot work and it reminds me of a combo between dwight freeney and osi umanyora, yea i murdered his name sorry, thats why i think he can exceed. he has a high motor and awesome foot work all he need to work on is watching the ball he loses the ball sometimes.

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    why are you giving up on English so soon? :icon_shrug:

13. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Because, Lang is a UDFA from Troy. :yes:

Ware and Lang went to Troy. 1 of them was a 1st. round draft choice and All Pro. The other......UDFA from Troy. :yes:

Surely you can see why. :icon_tease:

14. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    no i just think lang is a better prospect than english, english didnt impress me one bit last season, he fell down at the qb and never really got sacks, he was a terrible choice at the 16th pick we should have gotten michael oher.but thats over and done, i dont like english, and i dont like tucker on the roster, im 100 percent that lang will take their spots, this kid is a beast

15. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    So, you saw English play at Illinois? :icon_huh:

(I know where English really played):yes:

16. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    no it was northern illinois, he played De and he was a prospect old like lang, lang looks more promiseing than english

17. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    :icon_rofl:
    I knew you wouldn't read the whole post. Look what I put at the bottom. :icon_rofl:

Whatever! :icon_rofl:

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

Can't rep you (have to spread it around) but you got him! :tup::icon_rofl:

19. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    haha he did get me, i read it i just didnt pay any attention to the last part, but still i like lang over english

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I kind of doubt were gonna keep merriman after this year. So we will need one more stud olb next year.

I think english will progress this year and get it and be good. But I think were gonna need one more stud olb. HOpefully someone will step up.

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    One thing about the NFL, we get to see the folks on the field. If Merriman steps up this year, we have him for at least this season and possibly more. I doubt that they will dismiss a #1 like English so quickly, so if Lang produces, Tucker will likely be the odd man out. Don't discount the contract year as an incentive for Merriman to perform. If Lang turns out to be a real player, I suspect he will also be a beast on special teams and Kassim has vacated a spot. Then there is the injury wild card. It's to early for even educated guesses.