1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A closer look: Nathan Vasher

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Vasher looks forward to contributing to a winning defense that already includes two old friends.

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 9 hours ago
    6-1-2010

SAN DIEGO – Nathan Vasher[​IMG] once was a vital cog in the Chicago Bears’ defense.
    The team that drafted him in 2004 let him go this spring after six seasons and one Pro Bowl.
    Vasher has eschewed any sort of bitterness toward his old franchise, due in part to his signing with San Diego, which seeks a fifth consecutive AFC West championship this year.
    “I’ll do whatever they ask me to do. Any position on the back end (of the secondary) to special teams, pretty much anything,” Vasher said. “My first priority is being able to win ballgames and they’ve been able to do that here, so I’m excited about that.”
    Vasher, who’s also taken reps as a kick returner during OTAs and Mini Camp, shared the record for longest return in NFL history until Antonio Cromartie broke it in 2007. He returned a missed field goal 108 yards against San Francisco on Nov. 13, 2005, as a member of the Chicago Bears.
    One of his blockers on that play? Chargers defensive end Alfonso Boone[​IMG], who heckled Vasher as he discussed the historic play. (“Don’t talk about it! That’s privileged information!”) The two are neighbors in the locker room, where Vasher took residence in the defensive line’s section because the secondary’s area didn’t have any vacant real estate.
    He does have friends among the defensive backs. Specifically Quentin Jammer[​IMG], his teammate at the University of Texas. Vasher was the best man in Jammer’s wedding.
    “It’s cool having Nate here,” Jammer said. “In college, we were really close. Now our families are pretty close. It’s good to have him.”
    Said Vasher: “He’s been here playing at a high level for so long. I just continue to hang around him, learn from him, and hopefully we can push each other to be great defensive backs.”
    Often the first one to scoop up free footballs during offseason practice, Vasher has made himself noticeable with an aggressive style as well as his participation during special teams periods.
    Asked if he might return kicks during the season, he shrugged.
    “They’ve got a guy back there that’s pretty good in Darren Sproles[​IMG], so if they get low enough on the depth chart, maybe I’ll get a chance to get back there. But he’s one of the best I’ve seen in a long time,” he said.
    That’s a compliment, considering he worked alongside Devin Hester in Chicago, where he spent the first six years of his career.
    Vasher is one of two veteran cornerbacks the Chargers signed to add depth to the secondary. Once a part of the vaunted Bears defense, he made the Pro Bowl in 2005 with eight interceptions, tied with Champ Bailey for fourth in the NFL, 46 tackles and 16 pass deflections.
    But injuries limited him in 2007 and 2008 and he lost his starting job last year before the Bears released him. Now he’s anxious to prove he still can cover some of the league’s best receivers.
    “There’s nothing like a fresh start,” he said. “I feel like I’m getting that opportunity here.
    “I’ve just come here with the mindset that I’m going to go to work (and) continue to get better every day. Each day I’ve gotten a little more comfortable with what they’ve asked me to do and I’ve been able to get my hands on some footballs (in practice).
    “It’s like a big family in my short time here already … just being embraced and making the transition easy. I couldn’t imagine being anywhere else.”

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I love it when they say all the right things... :nana_dance:

NOW GO GET THAT TROPHY... :abq2:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The attitude is right enough.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Great attitude, glad to have him aboard.