1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A Closer Look: Richard Goodman

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    A Closer Look: Richard Goodman

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com

The Florida State WR will try to overcome the injuries that have hounded his career and fulfill his potential at last.

SAN DIEGO – A permanent tear drips from Richard Goodman[​IMG]’s right eye.
    It accentuates his solemn gaze that makes him appear sullen at times.
    “It means pain and suffering for somebody you care about that passed away,” Goodman said of the tattoo. “(My grandmother) passed away a couple years back and it’s a forever-lasting tear that I’ll always have. Every time I look in the mirror, I remember her.”
    He rubs his neck as he speaks, the palm of his hand tracing a Japanese symbol that means lucky. His eyes flicker with energy. His tone perks.
    “(It) just means lucky. I’ve been through a lot of hard times growing up, me and my mom, financial situations,” Goodman said. “Everybody has hard times, but for some reason I’ve always been able to rise to the top. That just comes from hard work.
    “Always remember, the main focus is to remain focused. No matter how bad things get, there’s always going to be a better day.”
    The magnetic dichotomy, splayed across his face in ink, resembles his career as a wide receiver.
    Goodman appeared poised to burst into national consciousness at Florida State in 2007 when a breakout game against Duke furthered that notion. He collected 11 passes for 73 yards through three quarters. But he fractured his right fibula in the final period, shutting him down for the rest of the season – and all of 2008.
    Things got worse when Bobby Bowden suspended Goodman for his involvement in an on-campus fight. Finally back on the field last year, he caught nine passes for 105 yards at Boston College and corralled a 23-yard touchdown pass in the first half against Georgia Tech the next week.
    But a groin injury hindered him the rest of the season, tagging him with an injury-prone label prior to the NFL Draft.
    Thought of by draft analysts as a fluid pass catcher that deploys his hands away from his body and breaks to the football, Goodman never produced enough on the field to establish himself as a selection in April.
    He’s counting on his experience in the pro-style offense run by Jimbo Fisher, current head coach at Florida State and longtime offensive coordinator under Bowden, to help him combat the percentages that say he must overcome a bigger challenge than most to make an NFL roster as an undrafted free agent.
    “We ran the same offense at Florida State as far as route steps and the way they call things in the huddle. The only thing that’s different is the name of things. We may have called one thing … but it’s the same terminology,” Goodman said.
    The 6-foot, 191-pound wideout acknowledged nerves lingered during Organized Team Activities (OTAs), particularly among the collection of undrafted receivers.
    But Goodman played Florida in The Swamp and Miami in Doak Campbell Stadium, two of the fiercest college rivalries in his hometown state.
    “Coach (Norv) Turner sometimes … he gets in the heat of things. Sometimes you’re not able to deal with the pressure,” he said. “You’ve got to know where to line up and play fast at the same time and worry about not messing up and catching the ball and getting your depth in the routes.
    “Being at Florida State and playing in front of big crowds and playing under all that pressure helped me a lot.”