1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A Closer Look: Seyi Ajirotutu

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    A Closer Look: Seyi Ajirotutu

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 2 hours ago
    6-21-2010

Former Fresno State receiver hopes to join roommate Ryan Mathews on the Chargers’ roster despite odds.

[​IMG]

SAN DIEGO – Two Fresno State players lay in their beds and talked football.
    A couple of Bulldogs get legitimate interest from NFL teams every year, and the two players topped the list this fall.
    Three weeks earlier, they scored a combined four touchdowns in a wild, 53-52 win against Illinois to close the season. They nursed some bumps and bruises after a loss to Wyoming in the New Mexico Bowl days earlier, but adrenaline lingered and then intensified.
    Roommates for seven months, Seyi Ajirotutu[​IMG] (pronounced Say-EE Ah-JEER-ah-too-too) and Ryan Mathews[​IMG] now could turn their attention to their professional careers. Both expected to be drafted in April.
    Hit the lights.
    Draft day came fast, like a sunset in the Sierra Nevada, and Mathews became a sought-after commodity. The Chargers took an aggressive approach with a first-round trade that secured the running back with the No. 12 overall pick.
    His roommate followed, but much later than he anticipated. San Diego signed Ajirotutu after the draft.
    “I fell down, down, down. I just have to work hard,” Ajirotutu said. “I probably prefer it that way. I’ve got to do whatever I can to make the team.
    “I could be flipping hamburgers at McDonald’s right now, but instead I’m living out a dream and doing this for a living.”
    The running back’s spot on the roster is all but assured, but Ajirotutu will have to thrust himself above a pack of other undrafted free agents jostling for jerseys past training camp.
    “(I) never thought it would be true,” the 6-foot-3, 211-pound receiver said of sharing an NFL locker room with Mathews. “Now we’ve got to work to stay here.”
    With defenses focused on Mathews, Ajirotutu enjoyed his finest season last year, catching 49 passes for 677 yards and seven touchdowns. He turned into a big-play threat with the raw athleticism and frame to get downfield and compete for jump balls. He also proved a willing blocker on the edge, but knows he must refine several aspects of his game to stick in the NFL.
    “Getting out of my breaks faster. Reading and reacting. Knowing where the defense is. Knowing certain splits and releases,” he said. “I need to know all that stuff a lot faster instead of thinking, ‘Alright, what do I do? What is this? What is that? Do I line up here?’”
    Mathews called Ajirotutu a mature decision-maker.
    Still roommates, the first-round pick said his teammate has eased the transition into NFL life. While the rest of the rookies shared a hotel room with a stranger, Mathews got a friend.
    “The first couple days you don’t know anybody and might feel a little bit lonely. Since you know somebody, you can relate to him, and then you start branching out and meeting new people during the next couple of days and weeks,” Mathews said.
    “He’s an all-around genuine guy. I like him a lot. He’s always there when you need him. He’s fun, too.”

TIDBITS: A San Francisco 49ers fan as a kid, living in Sacramento, “they’re out the door now,” Ajirotutu said … The receiver that goes by “Tutu” wore No. 2 in college, same as Pro Bowl running back Clifton Smith and receiver Bernard Berrian, both Fresno State alumni … He chose the Bulldogs over Boise State out of high school, the college that Chargers receiver Legedu Naanee[​IMG] attended at the time.

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Man I hope this guy makes the roster and he and Mathews make this divison their own for the next 10 years!!!:tup:

Maybe by the end of this year we will be saying...."Vincent who?!" hehe

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Here's hoping...

It's more than great to hear that Mathews is a 100% sure bet on the roster. Obviously, he's fully prepared to set foot on the field and produce immediately. Not even Reggie Bush, who faced similar physical criticism, had accolades like that. Rynomite is going to DESTROY our opponents.

4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    We could be shock full of receivers by the time camp is over. VJ may end up trade bait?

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    WTF does this spell? Seyi Ajirotutu

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    I think Seyi is Practice Squad material, myself.

He's a whole lot like Malcom Floyd was coming in.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    This guy sound like he is possibly another great UDFA pickup by AJ. That is one place where he is a master

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    scrubby scrub scrub scrub

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,855
    But then he spits on them on the way out like he did with Greg Camarillo. :icon_mad:

10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +326
    I thought VJ was a scrub the first year he played. He was dropping easy passes. VJ took some time to play like he is now.

11. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That's exactly why I don't want to trade VJ! WR's take time to develop as with the case with VJ. I don't know how this is going to play out but without VJ, our offense will not be as potent. Just sayin.....

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,855
    Our offense will probably take a bump but I wouldn't go as far as to say it won't be potent.

But, to be fair, you did say "as potent" so I'm not exactly disagreeing with you here. More just highlighting the extent that I believe it'll drop.

13. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    Our offense was good before VJ and it will be after.