1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A day of ‘firsts’ for Gregory

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Nicoletta Ruhl
    Posted Oct 27, 2009

Steve Gregory found success Sunday in Kansas City in his new role.

Playing as the Chargers’ “nickel” back for the first time this season, Steve Gregory[​IMG] recorded his first career sack and first career interception in the Chargers’ victory over the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday.

When asked how it felt to turn in his best career performance, Gregory matter-of-factly stated, “It’s about being smart and knowing your responsibilities.”

After being switched to the nickel back – a position that is usually responsible for lining up opposite the opponent’s slot or inside receiver – from the safety position for the first time this year, Gregory had no problem adjusting. He recorded his first career sack as the Chiefs faced a 3rd-and-8 on their first drive of the second quarter.

Then in the opening drive of the fourth quarter, he eliminated another third down conversion with an interception, another first for Gregory. His first career interception turned into a 19-yard Nate Kaeding[​IMG] field goal that extended the Chargers’ lead.

When asked what the biggest transition is from the safety position to nickel back, Gregory explained that a nickel back presses up more on the wide receiver, lining up a little bit more to the outside. At safety, a player has more freedom to roam and has a bigger responsibility in the run defense.

Gregory undoubtedly proved it to be a successful transition. During his four seasons in San Diego, he’s played cornerback, both safety spots and excelled on special teams.

“Wherever they tell me to play, I’m going to play, and I’m going to do my best,” he said.
    If you ask Gregory, it was a big performance from San Diego’s entire defensive unit, probably the best this season and everyone deserves credit.

“The front seven played awesome, and that’s where it all starts,” Gregory said “Every year, every week is different. You have to bring your A-game every week and that’s what we intend to do.”

Gregory has continued to see his role on defense grow over the last year which was validated by his performance last weekend. There were a lot of adjustments made that resulted in a lot of positive outcomes.

According to Gregory, the key to last week’s victory was consistency and if they “keep that rolling, we will be a scary team down the stretch. We probably had our best game of the year,” said Gregory, who now looks to carry this momentum into this weekend when the Chargers host the Oakland Raiders.

2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    He earned more playing time...it is as simple as that!:tup:

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Yes, and so has Malcom at Chamber's expense.

4. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I would love to see Malcom Floyd take over the number three two WR spot. And Naanee should be in there above Chambers. I think CC is on his last legs on this team. Move on. Floyd catches almost anything that comes near him.

5. YuoGotOwn3d

YuoGotOwn3d New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    just need to be consistant and shall do well.

6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    No doubt about it Stevo had a blinder as we say over here. The only negative was that drop of the INT right in his hands. Having said that I have watchd it back and it hit him right as he turned his head around. It would have been an amazing INT.

Go Steve!. :tup: