1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A draft history to smile about

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by chargerlipz, May 6, 2009.

1. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
  2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +900
    You wouldn't think so from the sniveling on this forum. I'm thrilled with the guy as our GM. Is he perfect? Of course not. But he's pretty damned good at what he does.

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    I too am pretty amazed at the complaining. I know we haven't gotten a ring yet, but AJ has gotten us closer than any GM in Chargers history. The 94 Bolts may have reached the Super Bowl, but the thrashing at the hands of the Niners showed that those Bolts were not close to winning it all. The 2006-2008 Bolts are among the best teams the Chargers have ever fielded, and this year could very well be the year we put it all together. There isn't another GM in the league I'd pick over AJ.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    and when you consider we've had two or three years in that period of just horrible picks and (even when we hit on them) missing on a bunch of others, that's nothing to be ashamed about

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, that is pretty impressive. There's only ONE thing left for AJ and this organization to accomplish. I'll give you one hint.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,619
    Some new black and yellow gloves?

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I've been waiting three decades for gloves like that!

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :lol:

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,190
    NO! Blurry confetti! DUH!!!!

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,684
    that damn trophy puts tears in my eyes... just imagining LT and PR holding it up, the confetti falling, grown men crying and jumping for joy, the city of San Diego losing its collective minds...

someday :yes:

11. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    While AJ is showing some pottential he is not even close to the calliber of GM from who he inherited the possition. Please dont forget who took us and a few other teams to the Super bowl Guys. Bobby Bethard was a football genious with one blemish on his record (Leaf).

12. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +900
    Beathard had his day, but he was senile or something toward the end of his tenure in San Diego. His drafts left the cupboards bare, and John Butler (the guy A.J. actually inherited the position from) and A.J. had to spend several drafts to get us out of that hole.

13. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +99
    Right. My bad, He inherited butlers gig after he died. What butler did here and with the bills was great and is exactly what I mean.. My point is lets not drink the coolade just yet. After all, this was a position he took over when Butler died. Thank god he has handled it well so far. Those two guys were real proven talent scouts. Only time will still tell if any of that rubbed off on AJ.

14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +900
    A.J. has had quite a few drafts since Butler passed away. He has brought in a lot of great players. Those players have to get it done though.

15. Scott the Rock

Ratings:
    +99
    Right! Its time for nothing short of a championship. I like his moves with this draft bye the way.:tup:

16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +900
    I honestly feel like if we don't make a zillion mistakes, we beat the Patriots in 2006 and have a good shot at advancing to the Super Bowl. I also honestly believe that if we don't have an injured LT, Gates, and a hobbled Rivers, we advance to the Super Bowl in 2007. Of course, it didn't work out that way, but I think A.J. has assembled teams good enough to get there. I think we'd all love to see them finally get it done. :tup:

17. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 New Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Yup, for all of the complaints and misses (no GM hits 100% of the time, not even close), AJ has done very well for himself.

In my opinion, the four most important positions on a football team are the QB, a pass rusher, a LT and CB.

'04--Rivers
    '05--Merriman
    '06--Cromartie, McNeil

I know some are down on Cromartie, but I have a hard time believing that the real Cro is what more of what we saw last year. He is much closer as a player to what we saw two years ago.

Yes, it looks like buster is a mistake, but at least AJ didn't get stubborn to the point that he didn't try to fix the WR situation less than a few months after drafting Buster by trading for Chambers.

One probable miss in the first round since '04, that's it.

No complaints here.

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Damn Sy, took the words right out of my mouth brah. Couldn't have said it better myself. :icon_toast: