1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A Football Life: Bruce Arians

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    I am sure A football life Mike McCoy is around the corner, maybe after the holidays?? ;) :whistling:

Arians interview with the Chargers got cancelled.

#buffoonspanosgenes

[\Rant]

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    That's a massive disappointment and makes me wonder if Tom Telesco had any say? I just want the next coach to be the last one in a long time.

3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Fify... ;)

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Ah.. plot twist. As I said in the other threads, Mike McCoy was never Telesco's guy.

5. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Telesco hired McCoy. McCoy was Telesco's move. No source that I have seen has reported it any other way.

6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Telesco hired McCoy--period. All of the media reports I have seen have Telesco hiring McCoy (exactly as a GM would traditionally do).

Find me one credible media source that has reported McCoy's hiring in any other way.

Mike McCoy was always Telesco's guy. That's why he hired him.

7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Telesco is the GM and Telesco hired him. I am sure it was discussed with ownership, but absent any proof to the contrary, there is no reason to believe that McCoy was anything other than Telesco's choice.

I have not seen one credible media report that has stated anything other than that Telesco hired McCoy--anywhere.

It is hilarious the lengths that some of you will go to rather than admitting the truth--Telesco is a terrible GM that has basically failed in every aspect of being a GM. The sooner he is gone, the sooner the team can end its free fall.

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Wrong! McCoy was hired because it was perceived that Philip Rivers was on the decline with all his 2010-2011 performance woes and that McCoy was going to see that Rivers was going to see his second coming. Basically McCoy did the best sales job during his interview with the top brass, including Tom Minion. SDUT had some articles in the past which had hinted toward this notion.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    You love Telesco man, it's hilarious. I thought I was blind to the power this ownership group had years ago.. it's even more evident now. You really think Telesco called off the Arians interview in favor of McCoy?

With Telesco's 'fascination' - you and Bonzi point out - of bringing in former Colts and yet you believe Telesco cancelled the interview.

10. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    If I remember correctly the GM hire was made by a committee consisting of Dean and John Spanos and Ron Wolfe. That same committee plus Telesco was then to hire a head coach. I maybe remembering incorrectly now but the search for HC was alot quicker than it was a G.M.

My personal view is that the cancelation was from Mike McCoy's great sale job as well as John Spanos ignorant opinion. It doesn't make sense that you work with someone like Arians for years and you can't even find the time to interview him.

Arians gets paid 1 million more than Mike McCoy, so the cheapest price coach isn't a good reason either.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Every article discussing who hired McCoy that I have seen in nearly three years that mentions the subject specifically states that Telesco hired McCoy.

You are simply discussing some of the reasons why it is believed Telesco hired McCoy (i.e., what made McCoy Telsco's guy).

It is impressive how far you will go to try to assert that our current GM has never made a player or coaching personnel transaction when really it has been all Telesco. He gets to eat the likely 3-13 crap burger. His coaches, his players.

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Again, every article I have ever read on the subject that specifically addresses the issue of who hired McCoy states that it was Telesco--period. If you research what an NFL GM does, you will see that hiring coaches is definitely part of the traditional GM duties.

Moreover, this happened before LJS's promotion, so you can't use Blitzy's totally unsupported BS argument either about LJS doing everything.

I think Telesco, with the support of ownership, decided that McCoy was the best coaching option for the team. He then went out and hired him.

And honestly, given the vast differences in the multiple GM of the year Keim and in the roster ruining Telesco, I don't really think there is all that much difference in the caliber of coaching between Arians and McCoy. I just think Arians is coaching arguably the most talented team in the NFL while McCoy is coaching arguably the least talented team in the NFL. Arians does not impress me that much.

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Money could have been a factor in Telesco's decision. He is paid to take that into consideration. He certainly could have decided that Arians was so close to McCoy in coaching ability that Arians was not worth the additional money.

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    This is one of the worst coached football teams in the NFL and it's not even close. From Week 7 of the 2014 season until now, I can't recall a complete game played in all 3 phases of the game by the Chargers. The game planning, the play calling, the repetitive mistakes made by players and coaches - its been far too much.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    LOL. I'm done..

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Belichick could have coached this team in 2015 and it would still have a big time losing record. This roster is awful. The 2015 additions and subtractions in particular have been a killer. Some veterans (Gates, Floyd, Flowers) have significantly declined as well in terms of their quality of play.

That's why you have the same main coaches and likely one-third of the win total. The roster has declined in a big way. No coach could have saved this team this year. None.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Hue Jackson could of done a better job. Look at his 2011 season when he lead the Oakland Raiders, yes the Oakland Raiders to an 8-8 record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Oakland_Raiders_season

That roster, 8-8. Unbelievable.

18. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    What is much more impressive is your ability of hyperbolizing and propensity of embellishing posts to suit your agenda! Where the FARQUE did I ever state that Tom Minion has not made a player or coaching personnel decision?! :rolleyes:

Let me repeat my thoughts loud and clear enough for those in the cheap bleacher seats (basically you):

Tom Minion is a major part of a moronic cabal consisting of the Spanos Brothers and the Spanos Father. These idiots make decisions in unison and the part of the operation which falls within Minion's jurisdiction bears his name and signature on every friggin contract. Capiche so far, chief?! I am not exonerating Tom Minion in any shape or form and I am seething furious at him for giving away 4th round picks where plenty of good value players can be had in drafts. Further, his worst player drafted is Chris Watt whose grooming to become a Center has been a devastating clusterfarg of a project. The only trade which he has made in the last 3 drafts which I am forgiving of is the acquisition of Jeremiah Attaochu, because I believe that Attaochu was worth the price considering his talent and also the teams putrid depth in terms of pure pass rush. However, Minion did not help his pass rushers by assembling a stout DL.

Now to come back to your asinine assertion that it is all on Tom Minion, does prove that you are a very one dimensional poster and I have enough of dealing with someone who does not even possess a serviceable alternative frame of thought other than: TT BAD, PLAYERS BAD, CHAIRCRUSHER GOOD!

In the immortal words of Blitzy, "p*ss off yer wanker!"

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. JohnnyX

Ratings:
    +378
    I think the lack of talent is most apparent in our lines. Without a doubt would BB have made that better. It's obvious to anyone but our staff that we should be cutting these bad players and replacing them.

I think if BB was here (this being just speculation) we'd be the Jets of 2015 with a way better QB.

20. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The Jets DL is virtually infinitely better than ours. They have 4 DL players better than anyone that we have, including Liuget (Wilkerson, Harrison, Williams, Richardson).

A few weeks ago I was discussing the Patriots versus the Chargers when this subject came up. In looking at the players, the Patriots injured and reserve filled OL is more talented than our best original starting 5 OL players.

Also, as was noted on Sunday night, the Patriots have an incredible 13 defensive players that were first or second round draft picks. And some of those players (like Collins and Jones) are leaps and bounds better than anyone we have. They are much more talented than we are on both sides of the ball.

Finally, the coaching staff does not acquire the players. The GM does.

And yes, I agree that it is really obvious that we lack talent. There have been draft picks that didn't work, free agent signings that didn't work, players that have aged from last year to this in terms of significantly declining skills, traded away (wasted) draft picks, and good players that were allowed to leave. 2015 was kind of the perfect storm of all of that where for every one good button Telesco pushed, it seems like he pushed 3 bad ones.

His hit to miss ratio was significantly higher in 2014 and a little higher in 2013. But the combined effect of too many mistakes over time has really taken its toll.

21. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    This is different than some of the things that you have said in the past and I really do not have much of an issue with any of this (even where you tell me to p*ss off).

Attaochu is the most difficult of all transactions for me to assess. The happiest I ever been with Telesco was when he chose Attaochu, my favorite player in the entire 2014 draft.

That said, I think trade ups are almost always a bad choice.

I have never said that the Spanoses did not contribute to the thought process involved in the transactions, just that the players/coaches were the GM's call at the end of the day because it is his job to make those calls.

There is no evidence anywhere that stands for the notion that Telesco wanted to do player or coach transaction X, but got shot down resulting in the substitution of the judgment of the Spanoses for that of Telesco. If there were, I would shift some/much of the blame for our present situation to the Spanoses as appropriate for the respective foul up(s) for which they were responsible.

22. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    In all fairness, my sentiment toward your monotone was even more endearing because I also addressed you as a wanker! Nothing but luv there, Crusher ;)

When it comes to the meddling type of know-nothing or know-very-little owners, you will have a very tough time finding articles on many, other than Jerrah Jones. Back to the topic, Tom Minion will not get a mulligan from me but the evidence that a young person was chosen by the brass as the new GM to complement the hand groomed LJS who took over the PoFO duties, is a very troubling sign. More over Tom Minion's "secret" contract extension during the Summer seems to indicate that these two evidently have no problems with each other and the clusterfarg which they have concocted. Their star QB has been knocked on his arse this season, perhaps as many times, if not more, then the worst year under A.Jerk and Norf!

23. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349