1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A history lesson for all you Marty lovers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Ride The Lightning, Oct 20, 2010.

1. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I posted this in another thread but it fits here to.

-------------------------------------------------------

Marty took us to the top of the mountain, we had the best view of everyone that year. What we did not know was that there was a sheer cliff just behind us, and just like what happened in Cleveland, and just like what happened in Kansas City. Everyone jumped off that sheer cliff and face planted at the bottom. We all did not go anywhere but straight back to the bottom along with all the others that sat at home and watched us. It was a very LONG and HARD walk out of the Stadium that day. Disgusted put it mildly. I know that loss hurt more than the loss in 1979. I know that loss hurt more than the loss in 1980. If you guys are satisfied with having the best record in Football and then having NOTHING to show for it, Marty is your guy. Because losing in the playoffs has happened how many times now in how many different cities with different teams.

We had the best chance just like all the other times in all the cities Marty has coached. We had the best chance with the highest seed, and we were one and done.

WE DID NOT GET A LOMBARDI!!!!!!!

That is how we are judged now a days.

WE STILL HAVE ZERO LOMBARDI’S.

Feared, feared at what?

New England stood on our very 50 yard line at the end of the game and mimicked LT and his Touchdown celebration. When were we feared?

And now it comes down to this, if Marty is such a great coach, why is he not still coaching?

2. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    If I remember correctly Jim Trotter was the source to the Marty getting fired by Dean story.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    1. AJ may not have fired him, but Marty was fried because of his and AJ's issues.

A quote from Dena in the link you provided. "the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager"

2. AJ only told him to keep Marty in January when they thought all his assistants would be back

3. You take a bleacher report article as your source to this info? LOL. You do realize that bleacher report isn't a legit media site, don't you? It is just an opinion site. Anyone on earth can write an article and have it posted, even if it is full of totally false info.

4. He fired Marty on behalf of AJ. The SOSD link in the bleacher report even said “I made a decision going with the general manager I think is in the best interest of the club longterm,”

Maybe before you all people out, you should read your own links.

Fact is, I wanted Marty fired, and he was fired by Dean because of his and AJ's relationship. AJ went on to hire the complete moron we have now because it was someone he could control like a puppet

4. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    3. It was Dean Spanos' policy to not have brothers on as coordinators

Jim Trotter was the other source in reference to this. I may be wrong and it may hvae been Acee but i really think it was Trotter.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    By the way, if Dean really did have a policy about this, then he should have put it into Marty's contract instead of giving Marty exclusive rights to hire his own staff. To me, this is just a made up excuse by some media people because I cannot find a single quote by anyone other than on bleacher report that says that.

6. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I never read the Bleacher Report. The only time I ever see it is when other posters post links here. I know I heard a 1090 radio interview back after the marty fallout by a reporter and I really think it was Jim Trotter. My thoughts were Marty wanted out so he hung himself with the rope Deano gave him. It made sense to me because why would Marty work his *** off for another year with nothing to gain win or lose? He had a gauranteed contract whether he coached or not so he got the F out. Just what I recall.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Are we seriously arguing about Marty? Who fired him, AJ or Dean?

Arent there better things to argue about, like who is the mos oppresive Mod, who writes the worst articles, which Chargers Girl forgot to shave their legs?

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Good questions, I guess we have a lot of newcomers that didn't get a chance to fight this battle 4 years ago?

9. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Your right Conc. You fired marty!! I am condsidering doing a report on Chargers Girls hair and whether it is present in several different places.

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,887
    1. Even if his issues with AJ factored into it (and I'm sure they did) that's still irrelevant to the claim that "AJ fired Marty" even if that claim argues that he "effectively" did so because Dean could have just as easily fired AJ.

That's nice. It was Dean Spanos who made that decision.

Doesn't negate the fact that AJ recommended Marty stay, which directly contradicts a lot of people's claim that he wanted Marty fired.

There are a plethora of other news sites that have all reported the same thing: Dean Spanos fired Marty. Do I need to dig up links? There's even one posted in the original post.

Right. HE made the decision. Not AJ.

I did read them.

Exactly. Fired by Dean.

11. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    well we have beaten the color of the jersey we wear to an absolute pulp

12. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Well there are new battle to be fought. For instance the depth of Kaedings Mangina has raised some ire amungst the more rabid of fans. Some say it is only 3' deep, others say it is the black hole that shall one day swallow the entire universe.

The color of Gatordae is also a current topic. The team changes to green, but everyone know purple keeps the players amped longer....

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Is that home, away, throwback, alternate, alternate white, Fouts era, or what?

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Yes I did!

15. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    AJ did want Marty fired, just like Dean, once he realized that Cam and Wade were gone. Stop spinning the facts

I couldn't care less who fired Marty, I wanted Marty gone. Fact is, Marty was fired because AJ refused to speak to him and therefor they couldn't work out their differences

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'm not spinning anything.

I'm sure Marty wanted AJ fired just as much as AJ wanted Marty fired.

There's nothing to spin. The fact is Dean Spanos fired Marty.

The only spinning going on in this thread (and many other threads on this topic) is the asinine presumption that AJ Smith somehow coerced his boss into firing Marty for him.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    I couldn't care less. Marty was fired due to his and AJ's inability to communicate. It was a Coach or GM issue because AJ refused to speak to Marty, according to Marty.

18. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    No...its exactly the same as Bleacher report is written by the same people haha.. Hell, even I've written articles for Bleacher Report!

19. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    do you think that was because Marty was told NOT to hire his brother?

20. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,887
    So, what separates taking an opinion from bleacher report and taking an opinion from posters on message boards?

Because the latter is what happens when people start spreading the misconceived notion that "AJ fired Marty".

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    AJ! Did you order the Code Red on Marty?!

Do you want the truth?

YES! I WANT THE TRUTH!

YOU CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH! And I dont talk football business to the median... Um kay, bahbie!

22. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
    I liked that movie

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    So what your getting at is... AJ DID order the code red on Marty?

Don't mock AJ Conc...he might rip off your head and piss in your dead skull! haha lol

24. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Maybe I'm wrong to say Marty was fired by AJ...a better way to explain it would be that I believe Marty was fired BECAUSE of AJ. AJ made Spanos choose between them...maybe Spanos was told to choose him or Marty (we will never know) or maybe just AJ's actions (i,e refusing to commuinicate with Marty) forced Spanos to make the decison...either way...in my eyes AJ has played a large hand in that situation and got HIS way in the end.

The Spanos family have put their eggs in the AJ basket and thats their decison...I happen to to think it was the wrong one and time will tell in the end.

25. sdrocks

sdrocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I was an AJ supporter and I didn't like the Norv hire but given the logic of continuity with a young QB and a young team I gave him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think AJ thought that Norv was the best coach available. I think he thought he was the best coach available for this team at that time given the circumstances. You don't want to waste a year learning a new system with a young and talented team.

In hindsight I hate the Norv hire even more now and I really hope he's gone after this year. We need a screamer and motivator. Let the coordinator's be the brains, HC needs to motivate and command respect from his players and I don't think Norv is that. I watched Ditka and the other hosts talk about the Chargers after the Rams loss and they nailed it. Teams take on the personality of the head coach and the Chargers are mentally weak and becoming physically weak.

26. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Bring back Mike Riley! Oh sorry, I just threw up.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,178
    Dont you know that AJ's piss will bring the dead back to life!?

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    I know I'm telling myself that I'm only chiming in here once and once only, and I'm probably lying to myself but...

1. Marty was fired by Dean Spanos. We've established this. It's pretty much an irrefutable fact because nobody else in the organization had the authority do render such a decision. Not AJ, whose job pertains to PLAYER PERSONNEL as does the job of most General Managers across the league (the common misconception is that the GM hires the Head Coach which simply isn't true; the owner/President of the BoD makes the hire - it is his money after all - the GM typically is solicited for his opinion and asked to sign off on the hire however). I emphasize this later point because it's going to be extremely relevant later in my points.

2. Marty was fired because, in spite of being told not to - by his boss - he persisted in trying to hire his brother Kurt to replace Wade as DC. Did Marty have unilateral "privilege" (not "right"... rights are inalienable and in the workplace the only "rights" anyone has are the ones provided for by the law) to make hires as he saw fit? Yes. Any actual hire still required a final say from Dean Spanos, or one of his personal staff members, if for no other reason than the financial implications. Marty was a nuts and bolts guy, no sensible businessman is going to give him power to negotiate contracts and salary figures. Ultimately (hypothetical situation) if Marty had offered $6 million per year to Joe Podunk to come be his new OC, there is still the check and balance that the owner reserves to render his "no" to the hire as a means of protecting his own cash.
    Did the obvious tension between Marty and AJ contribute to the situation? Ray Charles would say yes, and that man can't even see a TV. However, the cause for fire was still a blatant (hard to argue it wasn't since it was Dean's rule, not AJ's, so "lack of communication" from AJ shouldn't be a contributing factor in this instance) disregard for a rule he was told to abide by from the man that cuts his checks.

3. Was I a fan of the Norv hire? No. I wanted Singletary - in hindsight just as bad a hire - but I understand why the hire was made. The team had invested a Top 5 (realistically the #1 overall, it just brought with it other picks as well) pick, as well as the decision to allow their previous franchise quarterback in Brees walk, for Phillip Rivers. I feel safe in saying that Marty didn't develop Rivers for squat; Marty's not a QB guy, that was all Cam Cameron. And given that (despite how much I loved LT both for what he did for this team and for the immense level of talent he had in his prime) Quarterback is the MOST important position in this league, a decision was made for the team's best interest moving forward where Rivers would be the player whom the offense was built around (the obvious trending of the league towards appending rules to make this a more passing game friendly sport - which was primarily for marketing motives - no doubt contributed to this as well). Which brings me to what I was referring to earlier...

4. Dean Spanos... that's right... the OWNER hired Norv Turner. Was AJ solicited for his opinion and probably rather influential in the hire? Yes. Since AJ was going to be working so closely with the man in terms of providing his personnel year in and year out - as EVERY GM WHO IS A SEPARATE ENTITY FROM HIS HC LEAGUEWIDE DOES - it's only logical that he have a substantial voice in who ought to be hired. But ultimately, AJ didn't have the authority to hire Norv, that still came down to Dean. Now, I'm not disputing that the Spanos' put all their eggs in the AJ Smith basket. Or that AJ probably sold the "continuity" angle up the yin-yang to Dean as a means of getting his preference of coach? No doubt. It's lobbying. We all do it. It's the politics of the workplace. To this day I'm actually surprised as all get out that Rex Ryan wasn't hired (particularly after seeing how he has handled himself in the media's eye with the Jets) because he and AJ seem like a match made in heaven. And then we'd have the Super Egos or the Wonder-Ego Twins here.

5. My own opinion here, but if Marty had been left to coach out the remainder of his contract, we're likely not looking at anything different the following year or even in subsequent years (aside from last year's result; with no functional running game Martyball would have turtled up and died). The team would have survived on talent alone for a while, but historically Marty is a motivator, he's not an X's and O's guy, and aside from being a motivational speaker the man is only as good as the assistants and coordinators he has on his staff. So when he (I would argue rather arrogantly) let 70% of his coaching staff seek employment elsewhere, I too would have seen that as a sign that perhaps it's time to cut bait... which is likely why he wasn't offered much more than a minimal extension. (Honestly there are a myriad of reasons why he was offered such a low-term extension, not the least of which I imagine is that Dean - and AJ by proxy - didn't want to extend the terms and conditions - e.g. with regard to the personnel authority - of Marty's then-present deal, they wanted a different deal with new terms put in place if he was going to be kept around - it's a similar situation to what's going on with Andy Reid in Philadelphia right now.)

In short (yeah, right... like any of this has been short)... there was a problem that existed with Marty. AJ Smith had more tenure with the team and while he'd been likely as responsible for the friction between himself and Schottenheimer he had not gone against the boss' rules the way Marty did. Thus, Marty got the axe - as do most HC's in instances where the HC and GM don't get along, unless the HC is capable of functioning at a high level in both positions (see Bill Belichick, and even he had a guy like Scott Pioli and now Nick Caserio/Floyd Reese as a right hand)... which I feel safe in saying Marty was and is not (or else don't you think some historically floundering team would have hired him to "right their ship" by now?).

29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,032
    I say we just dig up Sid Gillman, strap him to one of those Hannibal Lecter dollies, and post him up on the sidelines. It's close enough to Halloween that we could probably get away with the fact that he's not much more than a decaying skeleton at this point.

30. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Neither is Norv.