1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A hungry Phillips set to return as starter

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,232
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20060904-9999-1s4chargers.html

With Chargers' Foley out, LB thrown into spotlight

Shaun Phillips has thrived almost anonymously as the eighth member of the Chargers' defensive front seven.

Surrounded by big personalities and very good players, he is often overlooked from the outside, even as he has been among the defense's most important players.

He is about to be thrust unexpectedly back into the forefront.

And he believes he's ready.

Shaun Phillips
    “I can play,” Phillips said. “I started three games last year.”

Phillips said that earlier this week, before starting weak-side linebacker Steve Foley was shot by an off-duty police officer in an incident near his Poway home early yesterday.

2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    Diddo Bro.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Phillips'll do jes fine!!:yes: :tup:

4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,232
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/09/04/sports/professional/chargers/9306210020.txt

Phillips likely to spell Foley - Linebacker says he'll step in as 'mate recovers from shooting

SAN DIEGO ---- The Chargers have a big defensive hole to plug and not much time to fill it.

Linebacker Steve Foley's return is uncertain after he was shot by an off-duty police officer early Sunday morning. One week from tonight, the team opens its regular season against the Oakland Raiders.

It's likely Shaun Phillips will assume Foley's role as a starting outside linebacker.

Foley's role in the defense can't be understated. When the Chargers switched to the 3-4 alignment three seasons ago, it acquired Foley as an outside linebacker. He's the prototype player in that scheme, as he is stout enough against the run, is a force as a pass rusher and supplies decent coverage.

"He's an integral part of our defense,'' teammate Shaun Phillips said on Sunday. "He had 10 sacks two years ago, and I'm pretty sure he would have had 10 this year. He didn't want to have a year like he did last year; he worked real hard this summer. I was impressed in how hard he was hitting it.''

Foley's production dropped in 2005 (4 1/2 sacks) as he was slowed by a nagging abdominal injury that caused him to miss three games.

Now what do the Chargers do? Phillips, who has been used on mostly passing downs, started the three games Foley missed last season. His seven sacks ranked second on the team in 2005.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I've got to give AJ some credit because thank gawd we have the depth that we do. :bolt:

But yeah, I'm a big Foley fan myself and when I saw him at the game Fri night he looked pumped and ready to rock. :icon_sad: