1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Is Concerned About Patriots Influence

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Buck Blincoe, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Additions toughen division
    Chargers GM wary of Patriot influence

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2009/06/14/additions_toughen_division/

San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith has regularly articulated his admiration for the Patriots and their consistent winning ways, which is why he viewed two major offseason moves with particular interest.

When former Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli was named general manager of the Kansas City Chiefs, and former New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels became head coach of the Denver Broncos, Smith knew what it meant.

The AFC West, owned by the Chargers in recent years, suddenly had a Patriotlike flair to it.

"I consider it a direct threat to us," Smith said, "and I don't like it."

Smith, who annually touts winning the division at the No. 1 goal because it clinches a playoff berth, believes a "big-time competition" lies ahead. He is not one to back down from it, but it doesn't mean he has to like it.

"I know Scott, I know how he's wired, I know how he thinks. I consider him a friend," Smith said. "He'll take that place, assess it, and they will rock and roll from top to bottom.

"I believe he's going to make them a winner. How quickly does that take place? Personally and professionally speaking, I hope it takes him a while."

Smith doesn't know McDaniels as well as Pioli, but what he's heard leaves him with little doubt.

"I know he respects and believes in the philosophy of the New England Patriots," he said. "Wherever you are, you're going to look, listen, and observe, and probably going to adopt things from where you had success.

"I did that in my career in Buffalo - my philosophy came from Marv Levy and Bill Polian - and I believe strongly in it today. So he's going to implement that in Denver, so now that's two teams with that in our division.

"Those two gentlemen believe strongly in their abilities, they came from a winning organization, and they have something that I don't have: a world championship."

While the Chiefs and Broncos have leaders with a Super Bowl pedigree and a Patriot-type vision, as it stands, they're both looking up at the Chargers when it comes to the AFC West.

San Diego, with the talented rosters Smith has helped construct, has been one of the NFL's top teams over the last five years, going 54-26; only Indianapolis, New England, and Pittsburgh have posted a better winning percentage in that span.

Yet Smith understands the reason the Chargers aren't regularly mentioned in the class of those clubs. The others have Super Bowl rings. The Chargers don't, last playing in the Super Bowl in the 1994 season.

Smith's goal is to have the Chargers in position to compete for that championship each year, and they're on the right track in that they've qualified for the playoffs in four of the last five seasons. Based on the Chargers' primary offseason moves this year, it's easy to see which area Smith believes could put them over the hump: defense.

The Chargers pounced on pass-rushing outside linebacker Larry English of Northern Illinois with their first-round draft choice (16th overall), and kept true to form by working the mid-level of free agency with inside linebacker Kevin Burnett, who should make them sturdier against the run.

"I believe defense wins championships, because it sets the tone for the rest of the team," said Smith, while being careful to point out that he doesn't ignore offense and special teams. "Until we fix our defense and have a dictating, dominating presence as a defense, the San Diego Chargers will not have a special thing happen for us.

"We need to create pressure, and any time you get pass rushers - either as linebackers or defensive ends - you get as many as you can and as fast as you can in any means.

"I feel like we've added two new pass rushers this year. When I say that, people say, 'What do you mean?' I say we've added Shawne Merriman and Larry English and I'm excited about that because when you bring the heat, you know what that does."

Smith said that Merriman, who played in just one game in 2008because of torn knee ligaments, is progressing well. The hope is that his return is the springboard for bigger things, elevating the Chargers into that elite level where teams like the one Pioli and McDaniels just departed reside.

"We're getting better and I believe we're growing as a team, but we're not good enough," Smith said. "I told some guys here about a month ago that we're not as good as the big boys. Who are the big boys? Pittsburgh, New England, and Indy, of late. Those are the ones that finish the deal and hold the trophy and wear the rings.

"We aren't there yet. I hope we can continue on this road, and maybe one of these years if we keep going, like an Indy, if we hang together and hang tough and a special year happens for us, it could happen. That's kind of my theme right now."

2. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    What? You were expecting Smith to say "Har har! The Chiefs and Broncos just hired a couple of candy-asses!"? :icon_shrug:

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Well the last set of Patriot cast off coaches didnt cause me to fear... Cornell? :no:

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's from the Boston Globe - how do you expect them to spin it?

Note to AJ: You get the same speech as the rest of the Chargers organization - STFU & do your job. If this makes you feel more pressure to win ..... GOOD!!!!! :yes:

As for the Patriot influence in the AFC West ..... KC is still at least a year away, but they are the ones to watch.

I'm about as worried about McDaniels & Denver as I am about B4L saying something intelligent on this forum. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I wonder if these Pat castoffs will employ the video taping the D signals strategy? I think it helped the Pats beat Philly and us in the Super Bowl and the playoffs in 2006.

6. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    Yes... Them...:lol:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Because the current drafts and free agent moves of those patriot disciples like McDaniels and Pioli TRULY got me afraid :lol::lol::lol:

9. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Romeo Crennel, boys. He recently got fired.

Cleveland is not a good place for future Patriots coaches or past Patriots coaches to try to succeed.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,648
    Neither is Notre Dame

what's the last successful patriots' offspring?

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,231
    KC will likely be the next such place, unless they can find 2 lines.

12. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    defense wins games, does KC have a defense to make big plays to win games? does denver have the defense to stop our many offensive weapons? i just don't see denver or KC being able to make the necessary plays to beat us for the division. :icon_shrug:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

I don't think McDaniels will be breaking the tradition. :icon_rofl:

The Bronco Faithful are ready to butt-phuck him all the way back to the Atlantic. :icon_twisted: