1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A.J. IS GOD

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20070827-9999-1s27canepa.html

Chargers' master draftsman draws blueprint for success

UNION-TRIBUNE
    August 27, 2007

Drafting is an art. Some NFL general managers can't finger paint on draft day. Meanwhile, Chargers football boss A.J. Smith keeps cranking out Mona Lisas and Sistine Chapel ceilings. There's no doubt anymore. He has the knack, and knacks aren't passed out like M&Ms.

This past April, Smith entered the draft knowing a few things. One, he didn't need much. Two, if nothing else, he had to get a wide receiver and a safety. He got much more.

It's doubtful any GM had fewer roster spots to fill, but as August nears its conclusion, Smith's first five selections are certain to make the 53-man squad, and the sixth – linebacker Brandon Siler, a seventh-rounder – is earning praise.

Not a gutter ball in the bunch. When five, maybe six drafted rookies make a team with this much talent, it speaks libraries for Smith, assistant GM Buddy Nix and their scouts. Crapshoots? Drafts? These guys keep rolling 7s and 11s.

The Chargers had one first-round choice, correct? Well, did you know Smith ended up with two No. 1s?

“Oh, absolutely,” he says proudly.

Smith was criticized on draft day by some national brains – although guru Mel Kiper Jr. defended him – for his second-round shenanigans. He had two thirds and two fifths in this lottery, so he got the Bears on the horn and traded a third and fifth this year and next year's fifth to Chicago for the right to move up 25 spots in the second round to select Utah safety Eric Weddle.

Smith is a hard out. Weddle can play strong safety. His battle with veteran Clinton Hart, who also has ball skills, has been the most heated of the summer. If Weddle doesn't start, he's going to play plenty.

“I'm being honest. Going in, we had Eric evaluated as a first-round pick,” Smith says. “I had two 3s and two 5s. You can make those picks or use them as ammunition. Maybe some other guys had him as a second-round guy. That's fine. In my mind, I gave up some picks for another first-rounder. I just had to make the package juicier for the Bears, more attractive. The Bears thought it was attractive.

“We think Eric Weddle is a special player. Always has been. What I've seen from him is everything I expected. He just has a great knack for playing this game, and he's going to get better.”

Smith's draft philosophy is pretty straightforward. If he really likes a guy, he isn't afraid to take that player maybe a round earlier than expected – or broker a deal to move up, as he did with Weddle.

“Rounds mean nothing to me,” says Smith, who prefers not to wait around and see the player he wants go somewhere else.

The GM openly admits that, three or four years ago, when his pantry wasn't nearly as stacked, he wouldn't have dared make that deal. He needed players.

“If we don't have players,” he says, “then this whole plan doesn't work.

“They're off and running, this class. They're all going to help us.”

Let's take a look..........

CLICK ON THE LINK FOR MORE BUT ENJOY THESE PHOTOS ONE MORE TIME :lol: :abq2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Fear the Nix! :yes: :abq2:

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The jury is out (the same one screwing my beloved Michael Vick :icon_eek: ) so you nail that mail order hottie and then we can discuss your incarnation. :lol:

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    You got that right. :tup:

THE NIX is anti-matter to AJ's matter and when combined form an explosive combination (or that is what happens in Star Trek) :lol:

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Sorry Trumpy, but AJ is a mere mortal. Well, that and one hell a of great GM. :tup:

6. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    When AJ gets "pricked" does he bleed is your logic.

I see.

Hmmmm.....

Science has found out that not only is this mere mortal a god but his piss cures cancer as well. :icon_eek: :yes: :abq2:

[​IMG]

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Well, when you put it that way, maybe, just maybe he is GAWD! :icon_huh:

PS - I'm not posting today, just lurking, so please nobody read any of my posts. huh? yeah... that.

8. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    Why did he think Eli was better than Rivers?

He does have a hell of a track record though.

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +450
    I've been thinking alot about this one recently. Did AJ really like Eli more than Philip or did he know he could screw Ernie bigtime and end up with a better QB and more picks that he could then turn into gold?. I'd love to know what AJ really thought/believed that day.

Here's my theory, he liked them both but Marty really had a stiffy for Rivers after the senior bowl and so AJ went with Eli so he got 'his' man and not Marty's. Hey whatever it sure has turned out for the best for this team. No Eli, no Marty, roll on the regular season.:tup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,383
    You can't prove that he ever thought that. Fact: AJ knew Rivers could be had later in the draft. Fact: AJ knew the Gints were desperate for Eli. Fact: AJ traded Eli to the Gints for Rivers and a slew of picks.

If AJ had thought Eli was clearly the best pick, I believe he would have kept him. One thing we know about AJ is that he does not let people strong arm him.

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    If you would have known, Accorsi certainly would have known. The magnitude of the swindle shows that AJ knew what cards Ernie was holding - but Ernie didn't know diddly poo.

It really doesn't matter how AJ felt about Eli. Everyone was laughing at the Chargers, remember? AJ was incompetent and out of his depth, remember? The Mannings and Accorsi tried to let AJ have it with both barrels. Not only did AJ dance through the buckshot, he lined up the shooters shoulder to shoulder and slapped them all in a row three-stooges style.

Therein lies the man's genius. :yes:

12. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    We said it last year and we say it this year - AJ is god.

post scriptum
    (in history there have been a lot of gods, who weren't immortal.)

13. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    We don't deserve to drink water from the tub that He washed in.

WAIT, start again, it's a privilege to breath the same air that He farted in. They want no part of him.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Er...uh..no

15. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I know that AJ's drafting >>>>>>>>>>>> Leisure's

Every year, AJ doesn't follow Leisure's draft plan, and every year, we benefit, while Leisure's picks are usually drawn to prison bars and underachieve.

• Like Like x 1
  16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Funny thing is had Eli come to San Diego he would be much better than he is with the squad we have. I don't think he'd be better than Rivers but with this team Eli would look a lot different.

Oh well that's what he gets for being a little bizzneotch. :yes: :lol: :bolt:

18. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    For those that have seen Directv's commercial with the Manning's and Matt Leinart: Anyone else get the feeling Archie really wishes "Matty" was his second son and not Eli? Just askin'. :icon_shrug:

19. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Nice retort, Mail Order Man. :lol: :icon_tease:

20. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    When the new Chargers stadium is built in San Diego county, we should refer to it as "THE HOUSE THAT AJ BUILT!!!!" :yes: :tup: :flag: :bolt: :abq2: :abq1:

21. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I will admit that when I lived on one of the canyons in Golden Hill, I would hear around 20 roosters at the house across the canyon from me on Friday Mornings and hear only one on Monday mornings....:icon_shrug:

22. Lucky_Diamonds

Lucky_Diamonds BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Praise God! :bolt:

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Dogfighting is a form of abuse somewhere on a par with child molestation. Cockfighting is illegal, but not near as high on the bloodshed scale, and the losers are frequently destined for the stew pot, or so it goes in a lot of places. It is simple and humane to kill a fighting **** by wringing its neck-farmers and others do it when they kill chickens for dinner on a routine basis. Dogs literally shred one another and they are killed in a sadistic manner if they don't perform. Neither **** fighting nor dogfighting is by any measure a civilized practise and dogfighting is the greater evil, by far. Michael Vick may be getting the shaft, but he richly deservers every centimeter of the golden rivet.

24. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I seems apparent to me that AJ figured he could trade Eli from the outset, since Ernie hasn't been one to hold his cards as close as AJ. It was a bit of a gamble, but even if it failed AJ was winding up with a useful quarterback according to the estimates at the time. If not the Giants, AJ would probably have found another taker for Manning, even so. This was simply one of the smartest moves ever in any draft.

25. LittleTrain

LittleTrain BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +86
    You guys can rationalize about anything away if you really believe AJ didn't want Eli over Rivers. It was all just a sham to take advantage of the Giants! :) right!!!!!

No one eats those chickens in the **** fights either. The losers are thrown in a trash can usually & its just as bloody as dog fighting on a pound for pound basis.

26. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

In Thailand, the loser is eaten after a **** fight. That doesnt mean that it isnt barbaric and cruel, but at least they dont compound that by wasting the meat. As conservative mouthpiece and Motor City Madman, Ted Nugent once said "baby fur seals dont die any easier than Chicken Mcnuggets do".

As for AJ and his Godliness.....I dont buy it.
    That said, if 5 or 6 of his draft picks make the roster (doubtful) at a time when we have the level of talent ALREADY on the team...that will speak volumes about his (and BUDDY'S ;)....and ED's....and JOHN's) scouting.

27. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Davis
    Weddle
    Chandler
    Legadu
    Siler

That's 5 right there.

Waters was pretty much a shoe-in before his injury--he still might make the roster.