1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A.J.'s domino affect on the franchise.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BOLTS4LIFE, Mar 8, 2009.

1. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm going to start off by saying to some of you, "no need to get emotionally bent."

It began with the Eli situation which I very much applaud him for. Not just because I think he and Daddy were wrong but also because of our gain from it! I think it was right to make it publicly known that Eli refuses to play for the team that drafted him.

The Gates situation was handled about as best it could. When a guy who is pretty much making NFL minimum has a Pro Bowl season, things are going to get a bit crazy. I think the craziness was kept to a minimum.

Then came the Merriman situation with the conflict between his agent and his contract signing. Shawn asked if he cold still show up to training camp and AJ said "no. You're either a Charger or you're not a Charger.
    That I also applauded him for. No Bullshit!!!

Most Chargers fans were aware of the speculation of the rocky relationship between AJ and Marty. But NFL fans of all teams became aware of it when AJ called Marty out about it publicly.
    This is NOT a matter taking sides... you DON'T bring a quarrel within your own franchise out into the press!

Now AJ mocked LT in front of the entire world. He says he didn't but I'm not buying. If this was a TO type of player, I would be applauding AJ right now. But this is LT!!! Completely uncalled for!!!

Direction we're headed... NFL is now seeing AJ as an egomaniac who's drunk on his own power and with no direction at all. If he can make a public mockery of LT, imagine what he can do to any other player?
    We're soon going to be at a stage where agents are going to say to FAs and draft picks "you don't want to play in San Diego."

Though on the plus side... if AJ gets things done and LT stays here, he can repair his damaged reputation.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    this is as good as any place to put this quote

"While he publicly called himself out, Smith has also held private meetings with several players in which he challenged certain individuals to raise their level of performance.

“I know players have to play,” Smith said. “When players play, they make you look good. If players don’t perform, they don’t make you look real good. The bottom line is those players are a reflection on who brought them in or decisions that were made to bring them in here.

“We’ve got some guys who need to step up. You give people opportunities, but a lot of our guys are on notice. I’m uncertain about a few guys. They know who they are.”

He made the decisions, now it's up the the coaches and players to step the f*** up and preform

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's all good but this thread has nothing to do with his choices in the draft or in FA. It's about the way he has handled certain situations.

With that said, another thing AJ has to take responsibility for is the coaches that were his decision(s).
    Before some of you get emotionally bent, lets look at the situation...
    Many of you have bashed LT for the arguments between him and Rivers on the sideline. First off, I'm gong to say that there has been other players involved in these arguments too.
    Also... if we see that on the side line, imagine what goes on in the locker rooms?
    We NEVER had this problem under Marty. Say what you will but it's the absolute truth!!!

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Just so I understand the message of this thread clearly...

...I just have to ask:

Is this "domino effect" good? Or bad? :icon_shrug:

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Last two paragraphs...

"Direction we're headed... NFL is now seeing AJ as an egomaniac who's drunk on his own power and with no direction at all. If he can make a public mockery of LT, imagine what he can do to any other player?
    We're soon going to be at a stage where agents are going to say to FAs and draft picks "you don't want to play in San Diego."

Though on the plus side... if AJ gets things done and LT stays here, he can repair his damaged reputation."

6. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True

I agree Norv sucks

But Marty wasn't the answer either

So, what now

7. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Still doesn't equate to a "Domino Effect"...

...or perhaps I'm misguided...

Please explain how this is a domino effect again... and go slow... 'cause I'm slow... you know.

thx

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

There are plenty of great coaches available now. Some were available last season too.

As I mentioned "Most Chargers fans were aware of the speculation of the rocky relationship between AJ and Marty. But NFL fans of all teams became aware of it when AJ called Marty out about it publicly.
    This is NOT a matter taking sides... you DON'T bring a quarrel within your own franchise out into the press!"

Spanos realized that one of them had to go and it was all about AJ's ego. If Marty wasn't the answer, you're suppose to bring in somebody better. Not worse.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Sure it does. It's just a matter if you care to read it.
    Nobody is twisting your arm. You don't have to.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I didn't quote the rest of your post because I agree with it

Now what I disagree with you (or the perception of AJ) is :

I don't see why they made a big deal about the "mocking" of LT, they are both freaking man, AJ basically said "LT is worried about his future with the team?, well guess what? so am I and so should everybody else, deal with it", BUT, he apologized for it.

AJ also put a lot of the blame for a bad season on him, which is more that can be said for other GM's.

What a fricking egomaniac AJ is, he apologizes when he's wrong and he blames himself when the team does badly.

11. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Good point.

Has LT ever come out and said "maybe I was wrong about Rivers". "Maybe I should care about the Chargers more than my good buddy Brees"

:icon_shrug:

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

That's not what I'm talking about.
    I'm talking about the situation when AJ said the exact same words that AJ said except for the part about him being the GM. He says it wasn't intentional but I'm not buying.
    He did apologize but it's phony. He has a history.

Again... I'm not talking about any draft picks or FAs he brought in. I think he made ALL the right decisions there. Even those that didn't work out seemed like the right decision at the time.
    My criticism towards him in this thread is about his management.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Ughhhhhhh. When did he say anything negative about Rivers?
    Please provide a link.

14. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sooo....

...again...

What "Domino Effect?" :icon_shrug:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Ughhhhhh. AJ invited me and a few other BT posters over to his house to play Dominos. That's exactly what I was saying all along.

Would you like to come next time? I'll ask him if I can bring a friend.

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    That's exactly what you and I are talking about, his "mocking" , his almost word for word statement, I don't see an insult there, maybe I'm not as emotional as some of you, but I don't see what the big deal is :icon_shrug:

BTW, I didn't say anything about free agents brought in

Then againg maybe I don't have a problem with someone like AJ who is brutally honest

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

There is nothing emotional about this. I just think AJ is lying. I think he did intentionally mock LT in public. He apologized when he realized how the public responded to it. That doesn't count.
    If you believe AJ, that's your decision but I think he's FOS!

Brutal honesty is what I stand for and the ONLY way I know but I don't see what that has to do with this conversation.
    This is about AJ's poor management due to his larger than life sized ego.

18. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    What a joke.

19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    What ever but how about this...
    The easy part of AJ's job is over. We didn't have a winning season for almost a decade. Though John Butler (bless his heart) gave us one non-losing season. That seemed like a start.

Then AJ took the reigns. His first season was a disaster but it was also cleansing. I applauded him for ditching players like Alexander, Wiley, and all others that just taking up space. It was also followed with a phenominal draft!!
    BUT that was the easy part... cause he had NOTHING to lose!!!

NOW, AJ's real justification begins!!! :yes:

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    AJ comes off as cold and hard but he is a softie. Really. I do not think Casey Pierce would lie to my face. Casey said A.J. is really a softie but you would not know it unless you were around him as much as Casey has been.

A.J. is the consummate poker player with bulldogged face to match.

I do not think A.J. realized his shoot from the hip response would tweak berries but I have to agree with what he said and the way it was said. In so many words A.J. was saying "enough is enough".....the player and media whining in other words.

When you have worked for professional managers there are two types. One will call you a SOB right to your face. The other will stab you in the back in a heart beat. AJ is the former. I dig it. You know where you stand with the man.

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I do too. I like that in a professional manager.
    Problem is that if you're going to be a no bullshit kind of guy... you also have to have direction. Seems to me that he lost that about two years ago.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    There is no "Domino Effect" here...

Please merge with one of the other AJ sucks threads.

23. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If we go 7-9 and win the division, you will have this entire forum by the proverbials. :lol: :abq2::icon_toast:

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Hey. If you don't like this thread then don't open it.

Nobody twisted your arm to open it or read it.
    Certainly nobody is begging to you contribute to the discussion in here either.

Go find another lap to lay on!!! :lol:

25. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Unless we become like the 2008 Cardinals but win it all!!! :bolt:

26. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    If we go 7-9 and win the division, I'll call it another AFCW championship. :yes:

27. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Calling an 8-8 year a Championship year is hard to take.

7-9 you may as well all agree that BoltsForLife was right.

Norv is taking this team back into the stone age.

The way the division stands, my old CIF high school championship team could give the division a run for their money.

If Norv does not win the division next year - he has to go. No if's ands or buts.

28. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    AJ's has been a success as the Charger GM. IMO, 95% of his job is player evaluation and he is outstanding at that. The other 5% of his job, he is deplorable at ... but it doesn't matter, because when it comes to player evaluation, there are very few that are better.

Ironically, the very things that the original poster laid out as positives where major fumbles if you actually talk to people around the negotiation.

It started with the Rivers negotiation. Ed and Jimmy Sexton were on the verge of a deal when AJ made his "famous proclamation" that they wouldn't move. Ed resolved it and gave on bonuses/incentives afterward, but it took time.

The Merriman negotiation? You could make the argument that taking a hardline negotiation on such a trivial stance was unnecessary. Several teams simply adopted language that would have dealt with the intent. AJ didn't. Thankfully Merriman was good enough to make an impact without those camps.

Then, the Gates situation. By prematurely setting an arbitrary deadline, AJ created the lost game unnecessarily.

Then there is the media. The guy butchers this area. The comment about Tomlinson is one of many f-ups. Unlike other top GM's, the guy is not respected by agents.

It doesn't matter. The thing he's good at is the lifeblood of the team.

29. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    8-8 isn't the ideal way to win the division but when it's all said and done, they still won the division. :yes: It doesn't matter how it's done as long as it's done.

I don't blame Norv for everything. He wasn't my choice, but the Chargers didn't ask me! I'm a fan.

I really don't think that your CIF HS team could give the division a run but I think USC could! :icon_rofl:

30. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Hey... dress it up all you want, but this BS thread is just another clone of the many other AJ Sucks threads. Calling it a "domino effect" without any idea of what a domino effect actually is... well... I guess that's par for the course, for you.

Why not just bump one of those other threads and regurgitate all of this nonsense you've already spewed before.

Here are the facts:

1. Marty started the feud with AJ
    2. LT started the public debate about his future in San Diego

Deal with it.

Marty left... Norv came in... and voila!! Playoff wins!!

LT... well... that outcome is yet to be written.

care to make a prediction?