1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A.J.'s "ego"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    From a Union-Tribune article shortly after Schottenheimer was brought back to coach for 2007:

As for 2007, Smith concurred that bringing back Schottenheimer (and his coaching staff) is the best way to go forward.

“I made the recommendation, which may surprise all of you, that we continue next year with Marty Schottenheimer based on the fact that we are so talented a football team,” said Smith, who solicited input from inside and outside the organization. “The information that I got from everybody was that we're so close . . . I just felt it was the best for this organization to continue.”

I guess if he really hated Marty, wanted him gone, and couldn't give a **** about the team (as many here seem to suggest), he had his chance at that point. But he thought bringing Marty back was best for the franchise.

Now, after Marty forced the issue, DEAN SPANOS fired Marty Schottenheimer, which had NOTHING to do with A.J.'s "ego."

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I am really hoping that one day we'll stop talking about Marty and try and move on.

3. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Logic.....:no:

4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, good luck with that.

5. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Me too. But sometimes after you read too many "A.J.'s ego" posts, you just feel the need to share some reality.

6. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    As a Bolt Talk member I'm intrigued... what is this "reality" you speak of?

:rolleyes:

7. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    See even AJ loves Morty!!! People who hate my morty loving thread but think AJ is half man half amazing are contradicting themselves!!

8. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

Savage you better put up the link or "some" people won't believe you :yes:

9. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Eldwin I really believe it was the assistants that really pushed Marty out the door, then when he wanted to hire his sister to coach that was the final straw :yes:

:lol:

10. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    As soon as we win our 1st playoff game, Marty will be long forgotten and we'll be moving forward.

11. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I was expecting this thread to be about waffles... :icon_shrug:

[​IMG]

12. rcaldw

rcaldw BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    One of these days people are going to wake up to the reality that when the Chargers got Norv Turner they got one of the better offensive minds in football. 2 Super Bowl years in Dallas, and for those who say that was ancient history, see the SF 49ers post Norv.

Just be patient. The Chargers will be fine and Turner will do a good job before it is all said and done.

13. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

14. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Nice first post but to much positivity :yes:

:lol:

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    How could be be "brought back to coach" when he was still under contract then eventually fired? :icon_huh:

With that said... do you have a date and link to this article?

And you're buying that?

Shortly after the playoff loss, it was easy to read between the lines that AJ wanted Marty gone. Why do you think he was offered a one year extension after a 14-2 season (translation: We don't want you but we feel obligated).

Again... was this statement made before of after Marty was fired?
    Please provide a date and link. Then you'll have your answer.

16. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I guess we're playing semantics here. Yes, he was under contract at the time, but it was being widely speculated that he might be fired.

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Ummm....maybe because he screwed the pooch twice in three years with one and outs in the playoffs in games we should have won, and missed the playoffs with a 9-7 record in between. It continues to astound me that you, and others, think that the Chargers should have just let Marty write his own contract, and that anything less was a "slap in the face."

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
  19. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I've stated several times what I think should have been done.

As I said "we should have let Marty finish out his contract and unless we win the Super Bowl, let him walk. See who's available in 2008."

20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Please provide ANY quotes from "shortly after the playoff loss" where it was "easy to read between the lines." Or was that just YOUR opinion?

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

“That's probably the single biggest reason,” Spanos said. “ . . . There were a lot of things that were discussed between A.J. and myself, but I think the most important thing is that I think (Schottenheimer) gives us the best chance to win next year. It keeps the continuity of the team together.”

They love that freakin' word. Don't they?

22. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    So offering him an additional year at 4.5 million, with a 1 million dollar buyout is a slap in the face, but not offering him one at all would have been better? :icon_huh:

23. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Were you posting in here at that time?
    No it was NOT my opinion and several articles were posted in here on this subject at that time. Though the opinions of many posters (due to the readings) were that AJ had brought several proposals for a new head coach to Spanos (before firing Marty) and that Spanos didn't approve it.

Right now, I don't have time but I'll provide some articles later.

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It would have been better that what we got now.

25. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    :deadhorse::deadhorse:

26. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You're changing the subject.

You have stated before that the one year 4.5 million dollar extension, with a 1 million dollar buyout was a slap in the face, but you think letting him fulfill his contract with no extension was OK. Would that not have been a slap in the face?

It seems like you just massage the facts to support your "Marty was God/A.J. is an egotistical prick/Norv sucks" stance.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    No, I hadn't discovered Bolt Talk at that point. However, you do realize there are other Charger forums and such on the web, right? I followed all of those same articles elsewhere, and I don't recall any underlying "A.J. wants Marty gone" stuff, other than the usual "they don't get along" stories. If he did, I'm sure the second playoff loss would have given him an opportunity. My guess (supported by actual reported accounts) is that after the second excruciating playoff loss, and the failure to make the playoffs in 2005, that Dean, A.J., and whoever else is involved with decisions of this magnitude, sat down and went over various different possibilities. When that was all said and done, they decided to KEEP Marty, not fire him. He was fired later after his own actions sufficiently pissed of Dean.

28. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Not at all.
    A one year extension is NOT commitment.

In that case, yes I do think letting him fulfill his contract with no extension would have been good.
    He'd know what would be expected of him and tell him that contract options will be discussed in during the off season of 2008.
    Super Bowl victory - 4 year contract offer.
    Super Bowl loss - Up for discussion.
    AFC Championship loss - Up for discussion.
    Anything less - Non-negotiable... WALK!!!

29. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

Savage, no offense but we all have been down this road with B4L. You make excellent, logical points, but his hatred for AJ does not allow him to use logic. You are wasting your time and energy, But on the plus side your post count is going up :yes: :lol: