1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Smith calls bluffs of Marcus McNeill, Vincent Jackson

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jun 10, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 10, 2010 8:41 AM ET
    The decision of the San Diego Chargers to sign veteran tackle Tra Thomas comes not from a desire to add depth to the rotation.

Instead, Thomas apparently represents insurance against the strong possibility that current left tackle Marcus McNeill will hold out into the 2010 regular season.

"It's my understanding we have lost the services of both [left tackle] Marcus [McNeill] and [receiver] Vincent [Jackson] for a considerable length of time," General Manager A.J. Smith said Thursday, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. "I certainly am taking them at their word. Therefore, I felt it was in our best interest to act quickly and secure a veteran left tackle. Tra is a talented player that brings us a wealth of starting experience. He will be added to the mix, and we will go from there."

Of course, if Smith truly is taking both players at their word, he'd also be signing receiver Terrell Owens. Until Smith does, we'll conclude that he's simply playing games.

Of the two high-profile unsigned Chargers, Jackson is the one more likely to hold out. Indications we've picked up suggest his camp is unfazed by the looming (as of Tuesday) decrease in his tender offer to 110 percent of his 2009 base salary, and that Jackson likewise has no qualms about holding out into the season because he expects to be suspended for at least two games in the wake of his second DUI guilty plea.

As to McNeill, we suspect he'll flinch by Tuesday and sign his tender. Though he may hold out thereafter, it won't be for long. If he's under contract and if he stays out beyond August 10, he'll lose a year of service toward unrestricted free agency.

The arrival of Thomas possibly represents the straw that will cause McNeill and agent Alvin Keels to ink the tender.

Now, please allow us to get our popcorn ready for the next step in the tug-o-war between the Chargers and Jackson, which if Smith is serious should involve adding the guy who'll then tell us to get our popcorn ready.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...lls-bluffs-of-marcus-mcneill-vincent-jackson/

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,610
    TO wants more money than Jackson is being offered.

Florio fail.

It would, however, be funny to see TO sign for the same amount Jackson is being offered, but you never know, he might jump @ the chance to play w/ a Pro Bowl QB like Rivers. I just don't know about TO in Bolts man, the thought is kinda revolting. I don't remember him being a major distraction in Buffalo last year tho.

3. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    If Jackson sits out the F it. Bring in TO. Who else are we going to get? Do we really want to start the season with Floyd and Buster?

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,584
    This is why we brought in so many UDFA WR's.

5. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    I know it was a while ago but TO used to kill us when he a Niner. I still dont understand the players and their agents reasons behind holdong out this season. They should be sceaming at the NFLPA.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,868
    Because they want more $$$.

7. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    But they are about to lose $2.5 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! I know what you are saying, they want the money that comes with a long term contract's signing bonus. However they have to realize that given all the data points (labor dispute, potential for lockout next year, control over their contract, AJ, etc.) that there is really no way out. I will be shocked if they pass on the two and a half million...

8. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Isn't VJ going to be suspended for a couple of games? :icon_shrug: If he does hold out and then when he returns he will have to sit out a couple games anyway. I would like us to pick up another vet WR to cover his absence.

9. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    this reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George takes his would-be inlaws to his made-up house in the Hamptons

"we're kicking it up a notch"

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    This may make sense to you and me, but it doesn't to ******** greedy football players.

The only thing they think is "If I don't play until I get payed I will get payed"

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    I'd first like to see in training camp what Floyd/Davis/Naane can do on their own before bringing in a player who is so egotistical and yet is losing their ability like TO.

But unlike LT, we do have some decent receivers without Jackson.

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    The WR set of Floyd, Davis, Ajirotutu isn't as bad as it seems.

:yes:

13. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    You have to be kidding me. Typical Chargers with no number one receiver. You better hope Gates can return to form.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    you forgot Nanee

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Buster Davis has given us no reason to believe he'll be healthy for the entire season.

We need VJ.

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Not enough to give him that $80 million contract he wants now.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Do you have a link to his contract demands? :icon_shrug:

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,868
    We can pose the same question to the people who want to call the Chargers FO idiots for not having them signed yet.

This is why I never get why people on either side of the table can think they can have any kind of valid opinion on the matter.

Unless we know what one side is demanding and what the other side is turning down or refusing to accept we cannot know which side, if any, is being unreasonable in the matter.

19. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205

Strange image TO in our uniform, but I really don't care either way if he was brought in. My only reservation would be the amount of money we give him.

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    We've all seen Floyd haul in number one receiver balls, on number one receiver routes. We have seen him in traffic, go up and get it with multiple defenders around him, not saying he is a legit number one right now, but with his size and skills he could be.

21. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Floyd can be a good #1, not great, but i think hes good enough to be a solid go to guy

Naanee is a slot guy, and i still dont see him as much of a deep threat.

Buster? Isnt this guy hurt again? I wouldnt trust going into a season with him as even a #3 guy. First hit he takes, he will break something, and we will be down to 2 WRs

If Jackson holds out, who is there to sign that fits? Are we going to sign TO? Or a secondary WR like coles or kelly washington? Do any of those make you feel better about losing our best WR of the last 30 years??

Why AJ is ****ing around with VJ is beyond me, especially after he praised him last year as player you win championships with, but we need him and AJ needs to quit this macho bullshit and get a deal done ASAP

22. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Again - is AJ operating in a vacuum on this issue? I'm certainly not a member of the blind "AJ is GOD" movement, but you're just taking this opportunity to fan your hatred for AJ, Rip. This decision isn't his alone & frankly, with no financial rules to operate within, I feel that the FO is looking out for the future of the Chargers just as much to proceed in this manner as they would be to hand out contracts that could possibly put us in a bind regarding future salary caps. 2010 is not the end of the NFL nor our chances to win a SB.

This is happening around the league, not just in San Diego. I'm not solely on the side of management or the players, but one thing is certain - everyone knew that this day was possibly coming when they signed onto the current CBA. If the players want to position themselves well for the possibility of a 2011 lockout, they'll take as much as they can get for 2010 & see what the future brings. I don't know about the rest of you, but I could certainly weather a year w/o paychecks better if my previous year's earnings was measured in millions of dollars vs. thousands.

Not having VJ & McNeill will hurt - no doubt about it. Giving them big, multi-year contracts w/o knowing what financial rules the future holds is just dumb. Pick your poison.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    It's June, it's all posturing right now. Neither side will give in now, doesn't mean they eventually won't. It's not like it's just the Chargers having problems with their RFA's, it's league wide.

We'll see how things play out in the next 2 months.

24. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    We used to say the exact same thing about VJ getting hurt all the time. I think Buster is going to step up this year.

25. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Our list of potential free agent pick ups is kind of slim. Here's who we could choose from:
    Marty Booker
    Laveranues Coles
    Kevin Curtis
    Mike Furrey
    Justin Jenkins
    Muhsin Muhammad
    Terrell Owens
    Josh Reed
    David Tyree
    Kelley Washington

26. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    I don't remember that. :icon_huh:

27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Muhammad retired.

Of those, who has the best hands?

Edit: Furrey signed with the Skins.

28. Boltdiehard

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers would make anybody on that list better but it's still not VJ.

29. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Rivers is great but VJ is a absolute beast of a receiver. The guy makes Rivers look good as well. He is 6 foot plus. He Catches tough passes. He is physical as hell. He pretty much shines in all areas except a couple DUI's. Cut him a break he will mature with the right mentoring. This weapon is too strong to let go. He can truly become one of the greatest. I know it's all a money tie up issue but man I get nervous when I think about losing a talent like him. For so many years I watched Charger receivers drop pass after pass. Nothing was more frustrating to see. How many years has it been since since the deep ball was an almost automatic? Well, not an automatic but at least not a prayer. It's been a while guys.

30. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +208
    There were reports that Marvin Harrison was down here today. He's currently a free agent too.