1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A.J. Smith: I was denied chance to assist in labor negotiations

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Mar 21, 2011.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    A.J. Smith: I was denied chance to assist in labor negotiations

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 21, 2011, 3:44 PM EDT

AP
    If you anything like me, you’ve probably thought to yourself over the last few weeks: “Man, these contentious labor negotiations sure could use a bridge builder A.J. Smith.”

It turns out the often-ornery Chargers G.M. was thinking the same thing.

“I volunteered my services,” Smith told Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. “But my request was denied.”

Acee insists Smith would “very much” like to be part of the NFL group working towards a new CBA. (And not just to make Jeff Pash and Jerry Richardson look like softies in comparison.)

The league apparently didn’t consider Smith’s request for too long.

“Let’s just say it was someone high up in authority, and it was denied before I got to finish my sentence,” Smith said.

We’ve finally found a decision by the league office that the players can agree with.

A.J. Smith: I was denied chance to assist in labor negotiations | ProFootballTalk

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    A.J. Smith would like to assist in NFL labor negotiations

A.J. Smith would like to assist in NFL labor negotiations
    BY KEVIN ACEE
    MONDAY, MARCH 21, 2011 AT 11:33 A.M.

NEW ORLEANS — The NFL has come to the Big Easy to conduct the business of a league that is ostensibly not conducting business.

Chargers President Dean Spanos, General Manager A.J. Smith, Head Coach Norv Turner, Vice President Ed MCGuire and four other members of the front office arrived Sunday and will participate in meetings through Tuesday afternoon.

The labor situation is the dominant topic at the annual meetings being held at a hotel just blocks from the French Quarter, in addition to proposed rules changes and other business.

League officials filed a brief Monday in Federal Court in response to the players’ lawsuit asking for an injunction ending the owners’ lockout. The league contends the suit doesn’t even belong in court based on laws governing labor organizations. Appeals of any ruling from a scheduled April 6 hearing are expected to last at least into May.

Meanwhile, coaches and personnel people ready for the April draft.

For his part, Smith has said several times in recent months that he is not terribly concerned with the labor mess, that his attention is on being ready to go when the two sides agree.

“I think about the draft,” Smith said of his focal point. “Dean will tell me when we have a deal done. And when we do, we will proceed with our football business. I’m not part of the negotiating team. It’s not my job.”

That doesn’t mean he didn’t try to help. Smith said he would “very much” like to be among the NFL strategists working toward a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

“I volunteered my services,” Smith said. “But my request was denied.”

Really.

Smith insisted he was serious about his appeal to assist in the process. Since he would not identify who he talked to or what specifically was discussed, it can only be surmised that Smith's offer was declined in part because he is well known for a negotiating style that can often be boiled down to something like: “Here’s our offer. Get back to us when you decide to take it.”

Said Smith: “Let’s just say it was someone high up in authority, and it was denied before I got to finish my sentence.”

A.J. Smith would like to assist in NFL labor negotiations - SignOnSanDiego.com

3. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    AJ SMASH!!!!!!!!!@$!%$!!!!!!!!!!! AARRRRRGHGHGHHHH!!!!

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ is funny! I love his sense of humor.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

6. Lightning

Lightning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    A.J. , HAHAHHAHAAHHAHA now that IS a funny thought as far as league negotiations go HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    this

First thing I thought of when I heard the quote, AJ is awesome. G'damn I'd love to just get piss drunk with him. He'd probably be hilarious.