1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Smith - Its the highway or my way

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    That's the crazy rational of the players and some fans. It's okay for the players to not perform or get hurt and still get paid millions, but if the teams want to protect themselves a bit, they're the 'bad' guys.

AJ has NEVER dealt unfairly with any player, as far as I can remember. These 600% raises are NOT 'unfair'. It's what needs to be done because of all the circumstances. Why the players can't understand that is proof that they really have no intelligence or capability of just basic rational thought. Yeah, we'd ALL like 'guarantees' in life. Whatever we do, we know that we'll be "taken care of". Wow..... sure would be nice.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,375
    A.J. Smith - Its my way or the highway

And VJ has even LESS leverage right now with his suspension looming. At the most, he'll play in 14 games.

3. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    The answer is YES. If you are on a contract and you further your experience through training or whatever (In this case going to a pro-bowl for instance) you are entitled to try and improve that contract...thats the nature of a contract system

QUOTE=Concudan;619231]So how much do you want the future mortaged for these two players? A 600% pay raise isnt enough? What is? What is enough to make you happy with AJ? :icon_shrug:[/QUOTE]

To me...money isn't an issue if the payoff is a superbowl ring! You obviously feel different and thats your opinion. Mine is that money should not be the stumbling block here

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the thing with mcneil , jackson, and merriman is the same with alot of teams in the league right now.

Who's to blame I think is the players agents. They might really hurt the players if they don't sign their tenders.

5. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    2011 is gonna suck with no football.

6. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I am sorry, but in today's NFL with salary caps IT IS a stumbling block. Teams will not mortgage their future for one or two players, especially not knowing what the CBA is going to be.

Oh yeah, and your boss is not going to be in business long. So... Save up.

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Thats the whole key to the tendered players issue. I'm guessing big time that the new cba will have a cap on how much a player can make for his second contract. And thats why these players are wanting huge new contracts now.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    Bingo!

9. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96

I see this differently. I think the new CBA will be to give the vet second contract players a better chance at big money and put the rookie big bucks in the past. Guys like JaMarcus Russell will have to earn their big pay in the NFL rather than in the NCAA. Just a thought on this. :bolt:

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm just guessing. But the owners want to cap both rookies definetly. But vet players as well. They want to put a ceiling on how much they have to spend on players each year. And have a status quo on how much might be expected that they'd have to pay out.

It hasn't been mentioned that i know of to cap vet players contracts. But I am guessing that is on the minds of the owners.

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Their is no way the owners will be able to cap rookies and vets. The percentage of money going to the players will not go down it may even go up in some weird funny money way. The new CBA should be about the vets getting their cash in the second contracts.

12. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thats the way it used to be. But there is a new cba coming up. And the owners seem to be very concerned with how much they have to pay players.

If your going to shut down the nfl for a year or maybe longer your getting pretty serious about things. And that is what looks like is coming.

The players union is actually in a bad spot. Cause the owners are gonna be paid by the media people no matter what. But the players will have no income coming in.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The only reason the owners opted out of the CBA was because they felt that the players were making to large a % of the money. They will not be getting any more, and you can guarantee that the players (As a whole) will be making less. The vits may be making more and the rookies less, but over all the players part of the overall profits will decrease

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The NFLPA just filed a suit saying that the owners actually setup the TV contract to benefit them during a lockout on purpose. If the NFLPA wins, all the media dollars will go into an escrow account where the owners cannot touch it during a lockout. This will cut into their income and their ability to pay their bills.

If this happens, it will push the owners to not lock out the players and be more open to negotiations with the players. This one lawsuit will be VERY interesting and will play a HUGE part in whether there is a lockout or not.

15. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    And don't lose sight of the fact that most, if not all, of the owners don't need their football teams to be making money. They're all wealthy from other businesses. If they shut down the league, they're still making their millions. The players aren't.

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,765
    The UFL baby, bring it on.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    College football :tup: