1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

A.J. Smith Shopping Veterans for Draft Picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    By Michael Lombardo
    SDBoltReport.com

A.J. Smith is on the prowl, looking to reclaim one or more of his missing draft picks between rounds two and four. The Chargers have several vets who could be on the block as Smith looks to recoup some draft-day sway. Chargers expect Michael Lombardo examines the three Chargers most likely to be moved, along with destinations for each.

ILB Matt Wilhelm

Although Wilhelm performed well in his first year as a starter, the Chargers suddenly have an abundance of depth at his position. With Anthony Waters coming back healthy and Derek Smith joining the club via free agency, the Chargers are six-deep at a position that can carry no more than five players.

Wilhelm posted 97 tackles and three interceptions as a first-year starter, which gives him solid trade value. Also, Wilhelm is more expendable than fellow starter Stephen Cooper, who is the team’s defensive signal-caller and stoutest run-stopper.

The Chargers could net a second-round pick for Wilhelm from a linebacker-hungry team like the New York Giants, Miami Dolphins or Arizona Cardinals. A couple of Wilhelm’s former coaches, Greg Manusky with the San Francisco 49ers and Wade Phillips with the Dallas Cowboys, could also be interested.

WR Eric Parker

If there is such a thing as too much depth, that’s exactly what the Chargers are dealing with at wide receiver. Chris Chambers and Vincent Jackson are locked into the starting positions. Norv Turner wants Craig Davis to slide no further than No. 3 so that Davis can fulfill the potential that made him a first-round pick last season.

Legedu Naanee performed well as a rookie in the No. 4 role and Kassim Osgood’s special-teams skills keep him locked in at No. 5.

That leaves little room for Parker, who caught more than 45 passes every year from 2004-06. Parker is a fantastic third-down receiver and a terrific presence in the locker room, but his spot in the rotation has been claimed by more talented players. The Bolts would likely expect a third-round pick for Parker.

One team that is sure to be interested is the Baltimore Ravens, where Cam Cameron is now the offensive coordinator. Cameron spoke glowingly of Parker during their time together in San Diego, and Parker could help revitalize a Ravens passing attack that ranked No. 23 in the league last season.

Other teams that could show interest are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Chicago Bears, where Norv Turner’s brother, Ron, is the offensive coordinator.

QB Charlie Whitehurst

Smith spent a first-day pick on Whitehurst in 2006, expecting him to supplant A.J. Feely as the backup quarterback behind Philip Rivers. With the trade for Billy Volek, and with Volek’s recent three-year extension, Whitehurst no longer has a future in San Diego.

This year’s free agent class has little to offer in the way of quarterbacks, so there is a definite market for Whitehurst. The Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons are just two of the teams looking for a young, lively arm. If either offers a fourth-round pick, it will likely be enough to reel in Whitehurst.

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    didn't we use a valuable 3 on Whitey... and they'd like to get a 4...:icon_huh: gawd is slippin...:lol:

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt New Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Seems like an awful lot of speculation. Also, I don't see any team giving us a second rounder for Wilhelm, or a third rounder for Parker.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    I'd rather not trade Wilhelm when he's finally making great progress as a starter

Parker, idk, if we could get a second for him I'd be willing to part with him unfortunately

Whitehurst, I'll take a fourth or fifth and draft Kevin O'Connell late

5. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    rather have Whitey than O'Connell... O'Connells passing leaves alot to be desired...

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    interesting idea. ONe more pick within the first three rounds could snare us about every player we'd want in this draft.

My guess is they try and go for branden albert or cromartie 2 with the first pick. Either player would make us better for years We aren't able to land either of those guys and we trade down and get a 2nd rounder and more.

Heres where it gets interesting if we can manage a trade of a surplus player that we have now. We could land d-tackle frank okam possibly with a 3rd or 4th rounder. And we could possible draft a good solid running back like jacob hestor with a 4th or 5 rounder. Get those guys and we stole the draft yet again.

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Can't see Parker bringing in a second. Miami might have done it in the past, but not w/Parcells there & Cam gone. B'more MIGHT give is a third w/Cam's influence, but certainly no more. I don't think that Wilhelm brings in a second, either. Again, maybe a third. And I'd take no less than a high fourth for Whitehurst.

8. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I pretty much automatically disbelieve anyone who claims to know what AJ is thinking.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,763
    Hmmmm, Philip just had major surgery on his knee and now all of a sudden because Volek re-signed Whitey has no future with the Bolt's? One good lick on Philip's knee and his season will be over, if not his career. So the franchise is going to place all of their gold on Volek without a young'un waiting in the wings? Sounds scary to me but what do I know, I'm just a ball watching fan.:icon_shrug:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My thinking, too. We don't want to be in a position where we're scrambling to find another backup during the season. :no:

AJ better concentrate on getting protection for PR. We all know that he's not very mobile. Opponents will be really aiming for him this year.

11. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Here we go, the AJ question marks begin. Was listening to Hacksaw earlier and it was a big *****fest. Llike it was last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, about how the Chargers are doing "nothing" in free agency.

Post draft, it's going to be the worst. People are going to question his EVERY draft pick, and call at least ONE of them a reach. One of ESPN's analysts will lambast AJ on National TV... like they did last year, and the year before that, and the year before that.

Then, at the end of the year, we'll all say, that was a pretty good draft, wasn't it? We'll marvel at how much our rookies contributed, how second-year guys are looking great and much improved, and how one or more of our third year guys had a Pro Bowl year. And look at our cap room! Now we can sign this Pro Bowler (ours) and this Solid Veteran (FA). And still have room to take care of our own next year.

Just like last year. And the year before that, and the year before that...

Then the FA deadline comes around, and we'll start all over again.

Geez.

In AJ I trust. It's almost laughable not to at this point.

• Like Like x 4
  12. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Remember when everyone thought that drafting Cro at 19 was a reach ? :lol::icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BlueandGold again.

14. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    BlueandGold hits one out of the park. Nice post.

But you listen to Hacksaw and openly admit it??? :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

I kept saying "I love the idea for Chambers, Jackson, and Parker as a receiving team" but I guess there isn't much room for Parker. One of the reasons I really wanted Parker to stay was for veteran experience but now we have Chambers and Jackson going into his fourth year.

In the beginning of the season, it was easy to see why our receiving team was struggling. Rivers missed McCardell and Parker!!
    Now with Chambers added and Jackson making a major impact in the second half of the season... Time to get Buster and Naanee out there!!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    well if everything else is on commercial, sometimes :icon_tease:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +447
    Acee in todays UT says no way will Whitehurst be traded. I am glad to hear it.

18. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Well, it was a choice between his delusions and Phlly Billy strolling down memory lane.

At least Hacksaw's entertaining, heh.

19. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Well we're probably getting 3rd and 4th round comp picks next year. Why not trade our original 3rd and 4th rounders next year for picks this year?

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    'Cause I think it's going to be a net loss...

Like everybody is figuring we're going to do well next year so we're going to have very late 3rd and 4th rounders... We'd probably have to cough up next years 3rd for a 4th this year. And I don't like the sound of that. :no:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    We might get a third for Wilhelm, but I doubt that we'll get more than a fourth for Parker. He's a third or fourth receiver on most teams, just like he was here. KC has 11 picks and need a receiver. I don't think Whitehurst's trade value is as high as some people seem to think. It's possible we could package two of these guys for a second rounder.

22. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Packaging one above average starting LB who isn't getting much money with a good backup QB who isn't getting much money for a 2nd round pick is Al Davis smart.

We won't trade Matt. Whitehurst maybe for a good pick.

23. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    nice guessing game, only one I see going anywhere would be matt, mr. lombardo should remember how valuable parker is on 3rd downs and that leg a dooo will be either spoted at TE or at the backup fullback spot, this guy is talkn out his u know what

24. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I would HATE to start trading away picks for next year just to get more picks this year. You just never know what's going to happen or who will be on the board.

AJ will do what's right. He almost always does.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Whitehurst alone won't get us a first day pick and he's not likely to start here. We have people on the roster who could well replace Wilhelm, though if I had my druthers I'd keep him. Getting a second rounder will get us a useful fat boy and maybe Cro Jr. or an extra spare fat boy.

26. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    No team in the league who give up a draft pick for that overrated, undersized, slow ***** choke artist

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'll bet KC would, especially since they have 11 picks & Bowe as their only good receiver.

28. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Whitey in a trade would only be palatable to me if we got some stud fat fuc in exchange otherwise, do not let this mo-fo go.

29. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I agree 100%.

For a trade I would go for a player for player trade of either Whitehurst for a DT or DE and the other is a RG or RT for Whitehurst. That is any team that would want Whitehurst.

Other than that We need to keep him for an insurance policy.

Just my thoughts.