1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A.J. Smith wishes he had hired Wade Phillips?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 5, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/A-J-Smith-wishes-he-had-hired-Wade-Phillips-?urn=nfl,48030

San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, who fired Marty Schottenheimer in February and replaced him with Norv Turner, is starting to cover his butt after the Chargers' disappointing 1-3 start.

According to league sources, Smith is telling people that he regrets not firing Schottenheimer earlier and giving the head-coaching job to Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. Phillips, of course, got the Dallas Cowboys' head-coaching job and has them off to a 4-0 start.

2. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    What is the point? AJ said he wanted to hire Wade before this season started. The reason Wade isn't head coach is because of Dean Spanos. You can get angry at Ted, or Norv or AJ or whomever. The true object of your anger should be Dean Spanos. He hindered AJ by forcing AJ to go along with his plans for one more year after 2005.

3. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    Yet another so-called "author" quoting "league sources" for crap s/he made up... If s/he knew anything about the Chargers s/he would know that Wade Phillips was already gone to the Dallas H/C position BEFORE Morty engineered his own paid ($4 Mil) year off to play golf.

TRASH!

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    CYA AJ.

Maybe now you will step backfrom the ego and use your head a bit.

5. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Remember, Its a Rumor :bolt:

6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I thought the big thing with Marty was his awful playoff record and not winning a playoff game in more than a decade.

How is Wade any better there with his 0-3 postseason record? :lol:

Although, Wade is doing good in Dallas, and I wouldn't mind him as HC. ;)

7. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    AJ's ego has taken over his brain but I don't believe he said that!!!

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Tr00th

9. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Also, attributing Wade Phillips to Dallas' success proves nothing.

Dallas gave up 35 points to the NYG offense, 20 to Miami whose offense is horrible, 14 to Chicago which is about average for a squad lead by Grossman, and then last week they gave up 7 to a Rams team without Orlando Pace or Stephen Jackson with a banged up Marc Bulger and tons of problems.

The reality is that Dallas has an amazing quarterback in Tony Romo who is a gunslinger and can drive a team downfield within 5-6 plays and an outstanding running back duo, one of the best WRs in the game and one of the best TE's in the game. Their offensive line is playing at a really really high level and I can assure you that Wade has nothing to do with their offensive success. Dallas is averaging close to 40 pts a game on offense.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

Right, and if the dog wouldnt have stop to take a ****, he'd have caught the rabbit. :bolt:

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    My guess is it was cause spanos wanted to give marty one more chance. Spanos is if anything is loyal and wants to give people a chance. After all his dad did that for him. But in this case he wasn't thinking it all out. In thinking about keeping marty longer it opened up the door for all the other coaches to find new homes.

All the chargers coaches and assistants were hot commodities at the end of last year. And with the possibility of them being without jobs in a year they jumped ship to try and improve their coaching careers.

12. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This **** is getting old quick.

Just win a fuggin game Chargers. :icon_evil:

13. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I thought that Spanos was the only one with the right to fire the head coach? So why would they report that AJ regrets no firing him sooner?

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

...Because they just make this **** up. AJ came out a short time after the Patriots loss and said (paraphrasing) that the best thing for the Chargers was to stay with Marty, obviously in hindsight it was the company line. Marty f-ed the Chargers just like he f-ed the Chiefs previously when he quit after all of the good coaching candidates had been hired. Marty is a tool and I will root against whatever team he ends up coaching in 2008. Dean made the mistake of thinking that Marty was a honorable man.

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I didn't want Wade for head coach back in February. I always felt that he was overmatched in Denver when he went up against Bobby Ross.

I definitely think we'd be better off now with Wade, simply because playing merely average defense would have us at 3-1 right now. But let's see how Dallas' season plays out. I'm still not convinced that Wade Phillips is a quality head coach in the NFL.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Most of us felt the same about Wade Phillips that we do about Norv Turner - great coordinator who's never been a good head coach

17. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867

Yup. i wasn't excited about the prospect of Wade becoming our head coach.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Neither was I.

Feeling better today?

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    No
    and this might be one of the biggest understatements of the year

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. would have looked like an asss for recommending a 14-2 coach get fired and would have shown the world and all the pundits that indeed his ego had taken over his ***. A.J. did state the company line and somewhat a common sense line. How the hell does anyone fire a 14-2 coach ?

Marty knew that hiring his brother was a fast ticket to a $4 million buy-out and a one year vacation. :yes:

21. MONDO.

MONDO. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Agreed.:yes:

For as much as the coaching and whatnot is stressful the fact of the matter is that it is what it is, we are putting what 11 pro-bowlers out there, these ****ers know how to play ball! Regardless of how the game is coached as long as their out there , make the catches, make the tackles, and get the damn W! **** we are out there drowning in a cup of water, keepo it simple stupid; run LT left, Safety's keep everything in front of you! It will come together soon; we need to man up play charger ball and bring home the WIN!

Winners have reasons, losers have excuses.

BOLTS UP! :bolt:

22. OverVolt

OverVolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    And who could blame him...not being the "yes man" that AJ must have would be tough on anyone, could you imagine if your boss hated you so much that he would even talk to you?
    I'd get out too. There's one word for people like AJ...ASSH**E.
    And that's fine...as long as we win.

23. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    At least Wade took a team to the playoffs. I did not want Cam and wasnt too thrilled with Wade as the HC but i would have been fine with him over Norv. Would have preferred him over Rivera too.

24. swishbish33

swishbish33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    The recurring theme here seems to be that none of the usual suspects discussed (Norv, Wade, Cameron, etc) were the "great coach" that the Bolts need. It seems like, no matter what choice was made, the prevailing wind would not have favored any of those guys. People were calling for Marty's head on a plate until he went 14-2. Winning cures all.

That said, just win a damn game.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We have Norv, get over it, or **** in one hand and wish in the other. Let me know which one fills up the quickest.:bolt: :icon_eek:

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    2007- Lost 3 games so far by a total of 45pts
    2005/2006- Lost 9 games by a total of 49pts.

TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE IF WE LOSE THIS WEEK!

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Tighten up, it's only football.:bolt: :lol:

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Sorry its actually 9 losses.

29. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Did this writer just fall out of bed?

No ****, AJ would have preferred Wade over Norv. The cowboys did as well. That is why they signed him.

30. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886

Lame :bolt: :tdown: