1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

A letter to Deano.....(Getcha Popcorn...)

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerMike, May 22, 2015.

1. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Dear Dean,

I hope this letter finds you well. I want to talk to you about an opportunity that you have — a chance to hammer out all the dents in your family's legacy. The best part is that you don't have to move a muscle. In fact, that's kind of the whole point.

Let's not kid ourselves here: San Diego and the Spanoses have never quite been simpatico. Your father canned Don Coryell. You approved the ticket guarantee. And amid all the tensions and tiffs, your team has yet to raise a trophy.

But I'm not writing to disparage you, because, frankly, I couldn't imagine the scrutiny that comes with being an NFL owner. I also couldn't imagine this city without its NFL team.

From an outside perspective, San Diego might look like an apathetic sports town, but you and I both know that's not true. In reality, transplants cloak what may be the most underrated fan base in the country.

When your team is winning, Bolts backers flood the streets from Encinitas to Santee. And if the game is big enough, the post-victory voltage could light up Las Vegas.

Perhaps that's why these past few months have had most of San Diego pacing like a defendant during deliberations. The Chargers in Los Angeles?

Come on. That's the definition of identity theft.

I'm not here to blame you, though, even if the majority of San Diegans are. As an achievement, building a billion-dollar-stadium in a city this politically dysfunctional would outrank any Super Bowl banner you might come to hang.

But I am here to say — emphasize, actually — that the only person who can single-handedly control where your team ends up is you. Your legacy is on the line here. What do you want it to be?

Trust me, I understand the challenges. The public sees a 10-figure number attached to your name and assumes you have the power of a genie.

What it glosses over is the fact that the CSAG's stadium-financing proposal is asking for an unprecedented percentage of an owner's net worth. How could any real businessman consider that fair?

The truth is, he couldn't. Not in the slightest. But that's the beauty of this, Dean. That's what upgrades this golden opportunity to a platinum one.

See, the biggest icon in San Diego history is one Anthony Keith Gwynn. And while much of this is due to his peerless skill set and unwavering warmth — it was loyalty that made him immortal.

When his equals were making upwards of $6 million annually in the early 1990s, Gwynn signed an extension worth $4 million a year so that he could remain a Padre. That day, his value skyrocketed in a way that Forbes could never measure.

As you read this, you're considering a move to L.A. because it would be more economically beneficial. You see the potential for the Chargers to be worth $500 million more than they ever would be in SD.

But I can assure you that such a move would deny you and your family the fulfillment that a San Diego residence would provide. Up there, you'd own a football team. Down here, you'd own a city, too.

A championship in Los Angeles is like a fedora in Pharrell's closet. Sure, it would be nice to add to the collection,but there are enough to tide the town over for years.

Since 2000, the Lakers have won five titles, USC football two, the Kings two, and the Angels one. Not only would the the city's sports success dilute even the greatest of your accomplishments — but it's unlikely the city would even be interested in what you're trying to accomplish.

In San Diego, however, the Chargers are the Red Sox pre-2004. The town is obsessed with this team from the night of the draft, to the first day of rookie camp, to the last game of the season.

If the Bolts ever win a Super Bowl here, you will have helped provide a memory that friends and families bond over for the rest of their lives. But if you left, you'd just be...

Never mind. I won't finish that sentence. My goal here isn't to label you the villain. If it were, I'd harp on how classless it was for you to say that you hadn't even read the CSAG report last Wednesday.

No, what I want to focus on is how you become the hero. And really, Mr. Spanos, it isn't all that difficult.

The first thing you do is get out and address the community. I know you're not comfortable speaking publicly, but it's necessary. The fact that San Diego hasn't heard from you on this matter is ridiculous, and if you want to stitch up any of the incisions you've made recently, you need to assure the people of this city that you're looking out for them.

The next thing you do is make this stadium deal happen. I know that sounds preposterously oversimplified, but no matter how much money you put up to build it, you're going to recoup all of it and then some.

The size of the NFL TV contracts are only going to increase over the years. And the revenues generated by a new stadium would secure your family's future for generations on end.

Is it possible that you would make more in Los Angeles? Yes. Is it possible that the Rams and/or the Raiders cut into your business? Sure. But the the Chargers were profitable when those teams were in L.A. 20 years ago and would be even more profitable today.

Please, don't make this about the dollar signs, Dean. Men who do that end up whispering "Rosebud" on their deathbeds. Ask Robert Irsay or Art Modell if relocating was worth banishment from their old cities. Their bank accounts never quite made up for the price they had to pay.

The reason I'm stressing all of this now is because you're going to have to make a decision soon. And while you and your lawyer can posture all you want, if your goal is to construct a stadium in San Diego, you're likely going to have to pay more than you desire.

But before you scoff at any offer and start house-hunting in Hollywood, try and remember what's important.

The money might be up in Los Angeles. But the riches will be right here.

matt.calkins@utsandiego.com; on Twitter: @matt_calkins

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/22/open-letter-dean-spanos-calkins/?#article-copy

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I skimmed through this guy's pleadings (open letter) and in a nutshell he just made a compelling argument for Deano as to why he should move the Team:

A- You may make more $ up in LA

2- You may win a Championship

The rest is all about rainbows and cuddly animals!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    Damn bro......way to spill the bong water.........

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I have thought most of these same things. If it's all about amassing money, then L.A. is probably the way to go.

But at some point when you already have more money than you will ever spend, what is the point of piling more money that you will never spend on top of it? Like that scene in Breaking Bad where Skylar asks Walt: "how much is enough? How big does this pile have to be?"

The Spanos family will never, ever go broke owning an NFL team. Ultimately if they care about their legacy, the author is correct, San Diego is easily the right play.

I guess that's what we will find out when this is all said and done.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    That's the same thing I find myself asking every time I see a sports star hold out because someone else of equal or lesser talent is making more money than him or because they haven't extended his contract yet when he's on his last year (I'm looking at you, Eric Weddle)

Of course the "more money than you'll ever spend" thought process becomes moot when you heaer of millionaire sports stars going bankrupt, which then leads me to ask "how the ****?"

6. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Comparing an athlete's wealth to the Spanoses is like comparing my salary to Tom Brady's.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Skylar just doesn’t understand – Walt isn’t in danger, he is the danger!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Contrasting millions with billions is like contrasting the amount of water in the Indian ocean to the amount of water in the Pacific ocean.

Robert Kraft may have more money than Tom Brady but somehow I doubt Tom Brady (or Eric Weddle) is hurting for cash.

9. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    No the best analogy (the two Oceans) Hollywood!

You can fit 1 Mill in a good size suitcase as follows: 10 x $100 = $1000, so rows of 10 x 10 bundles, stacked 10 high... That's your Million for you.

Now, you've got to stack that very same suite case in a 10 x 10 x 10 arrangement to get the Billion. This will fill out a good average sized room with a 12 foot ceiling ;)

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Yeah, I get that 1 billion is a lot more than 1 million. I passed 5th grade math.

But if it's ok for multi-millionaires to hold out for more millions then why is it not ok for owners to move for more money as well?

There comes a point when you have so much money that demanding more is less about the money and more about the status.

Many sports fans seem to think that line is well beyond the millions and millions the star athletes make but before the much greater number the owners have.

I disagree. If you make more per year than middle class people living comfortable lives in suburban neighborhoods make in their entire life you are not in need of more money just because someone else of equal or lesser talent than you is making even more.

11. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I was merely trying to visualize the difference for you ;)

Need and want are two different things. If the same paradigm applied to your own case at work, you would not settle for someone with same or less qualifications / talent to make more than you.

But I do get the greed argument which you are putting forward. We can get into a philosophical discussion as to why pro athletes are often the worst kind of investors and manager of their earnings and savings, but I am far too tired for that. So farg it!

12. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378

What that you deflate balls for a living? :ninja:

13. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    One of our (SD fans) problems is the same problem Mr. Spanos has - he is not rich enough in today's NFL. Wait, I know, you saying to yourself, "cry me a river". The point is not how much richer he is than you or I, but how little he has, outside the value of his team, compared to many of the newer generation of owners. Even when paired with Mr. Davis in Oakland, they together, really have limited cash to throw into the kitty to tip the balance on a stadium decision. I think Mr. Spanos is standing on the edge, with a black hole for money to his right (stadium in SD), and another to his left (move to Carson). If SD cannot provide illumination and a ladder allowing him to assess and manage his risk, then I think he and Mr. Davis hold hands and jump into the Carson black hole.

Now, as a taxpayer here, there is a certain point beyond which, as much as I like the Chargers, I'm more than willing to let them jump into the Carson black hole.

14. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    With athletes I think the money is just a dick measuring contest. Maybe even with team owners, who knows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    There's a bit of a difference between someone wanting to earn more for doing a better job when earning more makes a huge difference in how well they can pay the bills and someone wanting to earn more because getting paid 100 million is a higher number than getting paid 50 million, even though in both cases you should be set for life. (emphasis on "should")

If my job paid me 50 million dollars I wouldn't give a **** if some slacker in the next cubicle was getting 75 mil for doing half the job. Why should I care? I'm set for life regardless of what he's getting.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    This is why I wish salaries weren't public information. Dude A is THRILLED with his new contract, he's making more money than he ever imagined. Then a year later Dude B gets a little bit better contract and Dude A is no longer thrilled. If nobody knew how much everyone else was making, they would all be thrilled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1